Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Lexus Technician as a career?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-08, 02:27 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Lexus Technician as a career?

Hey guys,
i'm seriously considering making a career change to become an automotive technician, specializing in Lexus. I'd appreciate the opportunity to chat w/ any professional techs out there who are active on ClubLexus. I've been looking into schools and such, but would like to get some advice from guys who are already in the biz as to the best way to proceed. my email is caribbean711@hotmail.com, or you can pm me. eventually, it would be cool to give you a call to chat for 10 minutes.

thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-08, 05:19 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's depend on your mechanical skill, the ability to learn the new skills, the ability to diagnostic and take a lot of common senses to work on car. I've been with toyota for 8-9 years and with Lexus for 11 years. The best moved I've ever make.

I've trained 5 guys at Lexus, some of them were 20 years old and now still work there, bought a house, married with a new born baby. Most of those guys went to Gwinnett tech and took the 2 years course called "T-Ten" program by Toyota. They're working at Lexus as a trainee while they're in school. The program is 5 weeks in class from 8-1 p.m and off 5 weeks. So, those guys were working after school from 1:30 p.m to 5:30 p.m when they're in school and work full time during the 5 weeks when they're not in school for 2 years. After they're graduated they become a full time techs.

Right now with all the new technologies and more gadgets in the cars, the computer skills and electrical skill is a much.
Old 04-19-08, 07:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by VVT-i
It's depend on your mechanical skill, the ability to learn the new skills, the ability to diagnostic and take a lot of common senses to work on car. I've been with toyota for 8-9 years and with Lexus for 11 years. The best moved I've ever make.

I've trained 5 guys at Lexus, some of them were 20 years old and now still work there, bought a house, married with a new born baby. Most of those guys went to Gwinnett tech and took the 2 years course called "T-Ten" program by Toyota. They're working at Lexus as a trainee while they're in school. The program is 5 weeks in class from 8-1 p.m and off 5 weeks. So, those guys were working after school from 1:30 p.m to 5:30 p.m when they're in school and work full time during the 5 weeks when they're not in school for 2 years. After they're graduated they become a full time techs.

Right now with all the new technologies and more gadgets in the cars, the computer skills and electrical skill is a much.
Wow, thats awesome to know.

liazon, I believe you've actually been to a meet or two before?
Old 04-19-08, 08:15 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dont loose the tools that they give you after you complete your t-ten :]
Old 04-19-08, 10:39 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I think Nuum (VVT-i) hit it right on the head. T-Ten is your best bet. Funny, because im one of those people you described, haha. I started with Lexus when i was 18 years old. I worked at a Cadillac/Buick dealer for about a year, while i was going to Sequoia Institute (WyoTech now), and applied at Lexus not thinking they'd take me. Well, over 7 years later, im working hard as a Lexus tech, and ive gotten married, bought a house, and had a kid Lexus is an amazing manufacturer to work for.
Old 04-20-08, 06:32 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RTIS250
I think Nuum (VVT-i) hit it right on the head. T-Ten is your best bet. Funny, because im one of those people you described, haha. I started with Lexus when i was 18 years old. I worked at a Cadillac/Buick dealer for about a year, while i was going to Sequoia Institute (WyoTech now), and applied at Lexus not thinking they'd take me. Well, over 7 years later, im working hard as a Lexus tech, and ive gotten married, bought a house, and had a kid Lexus is an amazing manufacturer to work for.
That's really funny. I was thinking about this guy that I'd trained 7 years ago when I replied to this thread. He started at Lexus when he's 19-20 years old, now a Lexus master, bought a house, married and a 6 months old baby. I'm so happy for him and he's the best I've ever trained. As a trainer for those guys, it's like a big brother for them. If they're doing good I'm happy for them and if they messed up some thing I feel bad for them and do whatever it's take to help them out.

Ryan, I know one day you will have to train another younger tech, make sure you think back and remember how it was when you were 18 years old. Hey, how your baby doing? Sorry, to the OP about the off topic...
Old 04-20-08, 09:01 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i
That's really funny. I was thinking about this guy that I'd trained 7 years ago when I replied to this thread. He started at Lexus when he's 19-20 years old, now a Lexus master, bought a house, married and a 6 months old baby. I'm so happy for him and he's the best I've ever trained. As a trainer for those guys, it's like a big brother for them. If they're doing good I'm happy for them and if they messed up some thing I feel bad for them and do whatever it's take to help them out.

Ryan, I know one day you will have to train another younger tech, make sure you think back and remember how it was when you were 18 years old. Hey, how your baby doing? Sorry, to the OP about the off topic...
Haha, ive already done my share of training... But im sure ill have many more in the future. I find it funny when i have to train guys almost twice my age, that came from a different manufacturer. But its an awesome job, and i wouldnt have it any other way!

My little girl is doing great, almost 3 weeks old now, and changing every day. Im happy with my life, and i owe a lot of it to Lexus
Old 04-20-08, 10:01 PM
IndecentSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you know im glad that this thread opened up. I've been training as a Land Rover Tech for about 1 1/2 year now. And its sucks working for company that did such a poor job of making these SUV's, but then again its good money because they keep on breaking down. I am thinking of going back to school and attending the T-Ten program. Is there any South Florida members working at Lexus or Toyota that could give me some input?

Tony
Old 04-21-08, 10:15 AM
csaxon
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://motorage.search-autoparts.com...c1f363aed02324
Old 04-21-08, 10:31 AM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Default T-Ten

Appreciate the responses. i'll look into the T-Ten Program. Do you think one school is better than another or is based more on individual apptitude than the school? (ie, i've been looking into UTI which is almost double the cost of some 'local' type technical schools)

Any chance i could give one of you guys a ring to throw some questions at you about the realities of the job/career? (Things you might do differently, best and wost things about it, etc.) If so, email or pm me plz.

1sicklex, yes, i believe we did meet a few years back when i had my silver GS400.