Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Corded impact or cordless impact wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-08, 04:23 PM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by pitmanr200
I am in need of a impact wrench and air is pretty much out of the question. I just do minor matenance on my cars from time to time so I dont need the biggest baddest one I dont think. Give me some suggestion of types of corded and cordless impact wrenches that you all would recommend. I need 1/2 drive preferably being that is what size my impact socket set is. i have seen a few like dewalt, craftsman and have also wandered about the cheaper ones on ebay and at harbor freight
Here's my experience with cordless and corded impact wrench. Since I have a set of snow tires mounted on separate rims, I unmount the regular tire before winter and put the winters on and just the opposite in the spring. For convenience, ease of storage and power, the 1/2 in drive electric wrench does a pretty decent job if the dealer doesn't overtighten the nuts with their air wrench. However, I have not had the same luck with cordless impact wrench mainly because it only has a 1/4-in drive and it simply lacks the torque. Remember, on the cordless, it's rated by inch-pound rather than foot-pound used by electric impact drivers. I got the cordless wrench first and I had a hell of a time loosening those lug nuts (tighten by Lexus dealer). After trying for over 2 hours, I gave up and returned the unit for an electric impact driver. That took care 3 of the wheels but still struggled a bit since the dealer must've really over tighten those lug nuts down. I got 3 wheels off but simply couldn't get two of lug nuts loose on the fourth wheel with the electric driver. To make a long story short, I finally got the 4th wheel off with a $2.88 3-foot long cheater bar (galvanized pipe). This bar is now my regular lug nut tool and I no longer need any corded or cordless impact wrench thus saving me lots of money. If you want to save money, this cheater bar is the way to go.
Old 05-06-08, 09:16 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Breaker bar for the win!

hmm i gotta get my air tools set up.. its been sitting there in a box...
Old 05-08-08, 06:46 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Kevin, that should be enough. 76ftlbs for lug nuts isn't even that much. This thing should have no problem at all. Of course...torque your lugs afterwards.
thanks Henry