Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

n00b questions about 160k service (similar to bb7110 post)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-08, 12:32 AM
dm124ES
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default n00b questions about 160k service (similar to bb7110 post)

Sorry for the many Q's, but I'm a n00b at car care and wanted to learn with my new Lexus.

My car, recently purchased, will be nearing the 160K mileage and I wanted to do the same as bb7110 (see about 15 threads down). I have the service records for my 1998 ES and the last few maintenance services performed were:
90K major service at 93+
10k service at 100+
10k service at 109+
10k service at 120+
10k service at 125+
5k basic at 130+
5k basic at 144+
5k basic at 152+
5k basic at 156+
Seems to me that they were starting to get a little lazy with the maintenance, skipping the 120k and 150k majors that everyone recommends. Then again, all this maintenance was done at a Lexus dealership so if anyone has any insight on how well these 10k and 5k basic services are, that would be helpful. It appears both bb7110 and I should think about doing a lot for the cars at 160k to compensate for the recent maintenance track record.

I was thinking all fluid changes (no flushes, just drain/fill), air filter, and maybe the spark plugs plus adding a good fuel injector cleaner. From a thread I read earlier, it was recommended that you should do the fuel injector cleaner first, then after the tank goes empty again, change the oil to clean out the extra crud that the FIC removes??? That's when I would probably do all the rest of the fluids/filter/plugs (that falling somewhere around 161k).

Also, I've read here on a thread about switching to synthetic oil after 100k miles, but I couldn't really find the answer I was looking for. I'm assuming that since my car was maintained at a dealership, they used their own oil (Castrol, I heard somehwere) and probably not Mobil1, the seemingly favorite choice on this site. Do you think it'd be a good idea to start this at 160k?? I'd like the car to last and there really isn't a thing wrong with her mechanically minus a slight smoking from the tailpipe (I'm guessing the recent lack of maintenance is the cause).

Thanks for all your help!
Old 06-05-08, 02:34 PM
dm124ES
Driver School Candidate

*sigh*

I used the FIC and now I've got to get an oil change. After a little reading around, I'll probably just go with dino and change every 3k to 4k miles... you know how it is!!
I really want to do the tranny drain/fill. I'm wondering what the mechanic is going to use. Should I recommend a brand to him? I'm wondering what the stock type of ATF Lexus uses for the 98 ES300 and if the mechanic would have it. In the past they have been able to get just about anything I wanted as far as fluids go.

Thanks!!
Old 10-31-08, 07:05 PM
dm124ES
Driver School Candidate

Default Dear diary...

as I write to myself for the second time... and to anyone that reads this...
it is through this website that I became a man and learned how to do oil and transmission fluid changes. They really aren't that hard. But as someone who didn't have a parent that was car saavy , I had to learn on my own and this site definitely helped. All ready I can tell you that its saved me a few bucks and I'm sure down the road the dollar signs will add up . All of the things I mentioned at the top of this post I will take care of as I learn a little more here and there. BTW, I've had the car now for six months and I absolutely LOVE it. I'm enjoying learning about the maintenance aspect and keeping her paint looking great with the huge kit of stuff I bought to keep it all good... wax, clay, microfiber towels, etc.

And another BTW, I went with Mobil 1 10w-30 and Valvoline Max Life Dex/Merc for the fluids. I was told by the guys at the Toyota dealership that Toyota and Lexus both use Valvoline ATF for their cars that don't require Type-IV fluid... basically anything older than 1999.