Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Transmission Flush or Fluid Change?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-02, 07:31 PM
Shogun
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Flush or Fluid Change?

Gents,
I have a Tranny service coming up - any opinions on whether I should flush or just change the fluid (including filter cleaning)?

Or should I drop the filter, clean and then flush? Is getting the fluid out of the torque converter that neccessary?

Is anyone using any aftermarket synthetics (redline) for their tranny fluid? Results? Do they void the warranty?

Finally, does the fluid REALLY need to be changed every 15K?

Many thanks for your wisdom!

Eric
Old 02-12-02, 08:47 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Transmission Flush or Fluid Change?

Originally posted by Shogun
Gents,
I have a Tranny service coming up - any opinions on whether I should flush or just change the fluid (including filter cleaning)?
If your GS is stock, then a simple change should be just fine. As I understand it, and the general concensus here is, that the trannies on the GSs is nearly bulletproof under stock conditions.

If you acquired yur GS as a pre-owned vehicle, then a little extrac TLC couldn't hurt, and you can ask the dealership to perform the screen cleaning.

Or should I drop the filter, clean and then flush? Is getting the fluid out of the torque converter that neccessary?
Again, if stock, I don't think a flush will do much; unless, you want to change fluids, but the OEM Toyo/Lexus fluid is highly recommended as well.

Is anyone using any aftermarket synthetics (redline) for their tranny fluid? Results? Do they void the warranty?
See previous statement. If something should fail, I'd want Toyo fluid in there.....

Finally, does the fluid REALLY need to be changed every 15K?
Probably not - again, follow the OM to CYA, so if anything would fail, you'll have maintenance receipts to show.

I think they inspect it every 15k, not change, unless you decide to follow the "Special Operating Conditions", which is overkill unless you rag your GS out everyday and use it for a taxi.

FWIW, I change mine out every 10k, but I have a higher stall torque converter, and and pushing the fluid through a transmission cooler, and, I tend to drive agressively every once in a while Some will consider what I do overkill, but its cheap insurance for my tranny and peice of mind.

Oh yeah, you can also cruise through the Transmission section to read up on all kinds of these topics we've discussed before, and can also use the Advanced Search feature.

HTH
Old 02-12-02, 09:47 AM
willard west
Pole Position

Default tranx fluid

Absent an indication of burnt fluid or work needing to be done on the tranx otherwise changing out this fluid is nothing but a sucker play.

Becuase of the extreme reliability of the entire Lexus line the dealers are having to resort to SCAMS like this one to keep their service department funded.
Old 02-12-02, 10:43 AM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a CPO GS and I was wondering if they change all the fluids in their prep process. The car has about 40K miles on it. Should I change the tranny fluid at 45k or 55k.
Old 02-12-02, 03:14 PM
Ira Senoff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I was about to do a flush but after reading this, it will be a change. Thanx, you just saved me $50.00.
Old 02-12-02, 05:46 PM
Shogun
Driver

Default Many thanks

I appreciate everyone's responses.

My car was preowned but I went to Lexus and verified that the 30K service was performed at 39K.

An yes, I think I will stick with the Toyo IV fluid vs. redline.

Thank you,
Eric
Old 02-12-02, 07:37 PM
jberger
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I know Will and I will have a big disagreement over this, but I just had to relate my experiances and understanding.

Yes, flush your tranny and change the filter, fluids are cheap, hard parts are expensive. Routine maintance makes things last longer, and if you are planning on keeping the car for a while it makes sense. I doubt Lexus performed anything less than the standard maintance unless you specifically asked for it and had it noted on the service order.

1) a Flush is a complete change of the fluids in the system, all other methods just dilute the old fluid with new, not completly replace it.

2) Personally I flush my ATF every 20-25K, which is about once a year for me. If you only drive 12K a year, every two years should be fine. Make SURE you have them FLUSH the system, then drop the pan and change the filter. Tranny filters are about impossible to clean and should be replaced, because even if the filter looks clean, it probably isnt and can cause problems down the road.
When you flush a system you can clog the filter with sediment and debris, that's why I say drop the pan and change the filter, again, it's cheap insurance against clogging and damage.

3) Use the Lexus fluid, it's one of the best out there, if you want to add something then add a pint a lubeguard, no Slick50, no zMax or other silly magic potient (BTW: Redline is KING in manual tranny's)

4) Tranny coolers are a great addition as most transmissions are killed by heat or clogging of the passages (which builds up heat and kills the friction materials) The ideal temp is 176, so lowering the temp really extends the life of the unit.

5) A proper flush is going to cost about 125-200 bucks. If it's done correctly, It takes 1-2 hours to do it right. You need to have the fluid warm, use a cleaner(BG products makes a good one) for 15-30 min prior to the flush, and work through every gear (20 minutes) with the cleaner before flushing the fluids. Then Flush, drop/clean the pan, and replace the filter.

This is only if you want to keep the car for a long time 100K-200K, if you plan on keeping it a year or two, it's overkill.
Old 10-12-03, 08:35 AM
apanju
Rookie

When I called the delaership they said there is no tranny filter for GS400? What filter are you talking about?

5) A proper flush is going to cost about 125-200 bucks. If it's done correctly, It takes 1-2 hours to do it right. You need to have the fluid warm, use a cleaner(BG products makes a good one) for 15-30 min prior to the flush, and work through every gear (20 minutes) with the cleaner before flushing the fluids. Then Flush, drop/clean the pan, and replace the filter.

What is this cleaner and wher does it go? Where can I purchase it...called a what???? I am assuming it is a "additive" that goes in and is driven around with? Do you drive car for 20 minutes with this stuff in? And manually shift I am assuming?

My knowledge is miniscule....just would like to to do it right. Thnks for the input
Old 10-12-03, 11:42 PM
Drukinfoolio
Pole Position

I work @ a delership in northern cal, what we do is drain and fill. Type IV fluid, the filter is a metal screen, no need to change it.

If you like I can post what kind of service we do along with it.

Chan
Old 10-13-03, 02:56 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Eric If you are not the original owner do a tranny flush and then the next times do a drain and fill on a regular schedule basis.
Old 10-16-03, 05:20 AM
stoughton910
Driver School Candidate

on my 96ls400, drove car up on rhino ramps, drained trans fluid for 48 hours and got over 4 qts out.
still very slow drip at 48 hours. used toy type iv fluid. at least better than 2qts with quick drain.
i also changed my plugs with autozone denso plat.- same plug that was removed., changed oil and
filter, installed new autozone hood shocks, drained antifreeze, replaced ps res fluid using turkey
baster, repl a.filter and mas cyl bk fluid. that was my 90k service. will do front bk pads and serp belt next.
will only have dealer do timing belt, and at 120k.
grn96ls400