Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Once again,Does anyone use Non-OEM Oil Filters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-08, 05:51 AM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Once again,Does anyone use Non-OEM Oil Filters?

OK, I know that this subject has been posted before and I have used the search but they never answered the question that people have asked. How many people use OEM Lexus oil filters and how many use aftermarket ones? If you use a Aftermarket, which brand do you use and how do you rate it. I just did my oil change and found that the oil filter that was on my car was an OEM Lexus filter. I had a supply of Toyota/Lexus filters that I had purchased for my IS300 awhile back and found that the filter for my SC430 was the same but a bit longer in length. So I went to the local auto store and viewed all the brands of filters that were available. There were Fram, Mobile-1, K/N, Purolator, and Motorcraft. Inspecting them all, I found all of them to be the length of the IS300 filter and none of them the longer filter that came off the car. The fitment books there at the store all said that the shorter filter was the one for the car. I chose the Mobile-1 filter (M1-102) and Mobile-1 oil 0-30w oil for the job. What are your thoughts????
Old 05-22-08, 06:11 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Your SC430 would use the same K&N HP-1002 that my RX300 does, same goes for your GS300. However, I have stepped up to a K&N HP-2009 which is longer but fits just fine. Mobil-1 filters are also okay.
Old 05-22-08, 10:28 AM
breakb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used a napa filter, seemed to run fine, and then i used a mobil 1 filter on this last one. seems to work just fine...

Peace out
Old 05-22-08, 10:53 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I use purolator and Nippon. Both are great quality filters.

It's a common practice for manufacturers to use the same filter for all their cars.
Old 05-22-08, 11:48 AM
farkas
Lead Lap

Are non-OEM filters better than OEM?????
Old 05-22-08, 01:14 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used Pureone, Mobil1, NAPA Gold. They all seem to work fine. I've done several UOAs in the past and they all perform similarly. Although I must say I change my oil about every 6 months and I only put on about 4k-5k miles which is probably a very easy job for any of the top filters.
Old 05-22-08, 03:52 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

As long as you use a good quality name brand filter, i think you'll be ok. I prefer OEM, but everyone has their own preferences. They all do the same thing, some better than others.
Old 05-22-08, 07:29 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my GS and Max I use the Pureone which is supposed to be one of the better filters. Mobil-1 filters are also good. It depends on how long you go before you change your oil. The longer the time/mileage the better the filter is needed.
Old 05-23-08, 02:32 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BCP43002
It depends on how long you go before you change your oil. The longer the time/mileage the better the filter is needed.
Agree.
If you're the type of people that cares about the type of filter you use, you're probably changing your oil regularly (or likely even more frequently then what is needed-which is 7.5k miles recommended by Lexus service manual). I am of the opinion any non-defective filter you buy at any big autoparts store, even super cheap ones, will work perfectly fine to last the regular oil change interval.

It's sort of a catch-22.
So the people who would actually buy fancy more expensive filters (DIY recreational maintenance ppl) are the ones who would benefit the least from actually using them; while the people who never buy them(people who disregard or put off maintenance for whatever reason) would be the ones who'd actually benefit the most.

I can see the OP is of the first type of people just based on the fact he has this dilemma, and that he chose to use full synthetic mobil1 for the oil. .
This by itself will actually make things even easier on the filter, and for argument's sake you could potentially use an even "worse" filter (doesn't exist), or could do things like change the filter every other oilchange and everything would be perfectly fine... but someone who spent all the super extra $$ for synthetic wouldn't be the type person that would would then just skimp out the very few $ for a new filter. So this is a moot point.

If you've modded your car where it needs special maintenance(e.g. turbo) or you really race, or are planning for extended oil change intervals beyond 7.5k, then of course that is a different story and the more expensive items will provide benefits to you...

Last edited by raytseng; 05-23-08 at 02:43 AM.
Old 05-23-08, 05:39 AM
farkas
Lead Lap

Raytseng you made some very good points!
Old 05-23-08, 09:07 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get the Toyota filter for V8s, 90915 YZZD3. costs about the same as most aftermarket filters and gives you a peace of mind
Old 06-12-08, 09:51 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

This is an interesting and comprehensive study of oil filters: http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo...tml#OilFilters

I would avoid the use of the inexpensive filters because of the use of cheap paper and cotton as filter elements. Regardless of how often you change them, their failure can cause serious and immediate damage to your engine.
Old 06-13-08, 11:36 AM
SH212
Dances with goats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use mobil 1.. works fine

i also noticed that the aftermarket are shorter then the toyota ones, but just the way there made i geuss
Old 06-15-08, 09:34 PM
mellofelow
Driver

I have used Purolator PureOne and recently switched to Denso. They're $3.59 each on Sparkplugs.com

http://www.sparkplugs.com/

They're probably exactly the same as OEMs.
Old 06-17-08, 10:42 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the important part about the filter is not whether it is longer or shorter. the amount of the filter material inside matters. i have cut apart oem filters before and the fram ones. the fram filters have a little more then half of the filter material then oem.

i would always use oem. why not use it? why reinvent the wheel and use a different filter?

the only non factory filter i use on my nissan that has a dry-sump system. on that one i use a System1 reusable filter. you take it apart and it has metal screens in it. you can wash it out and put it back together. the advantage is that if you see debris or shaving in the filter you know to look into the engine situation seriously. most of the time you take a can of brake clean and hose it off, put it back together, and throw it on the car.

Quick Reply: Once again,Does anyone use Non-OEM Oil Filters?