Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

No coolant

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-08, 10:10 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No coolant

Ok so as you know I just got the lexus a few days ago, well today was the first day I had a chance to really go over everything a bit better. Well first thing I did was look at the coolant and guess what...............it is freaking empty. Can I just add more or do I need to do anything special?
Old 06-09-08, 10:17 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Cynical
Ok so as you know I just got the lexus a few days ago, well today was the first day I had a chance to really go over everything a bit better. Well first thing I did was look at the coolant and guess what...............it is freaking empty. Can I just add more or do I need to do anything special?
ok, well, it depends... is it really empty? I think pretty much all the Lexus use a pressurized reservoir that may not look full when you pull the cap off... it's not supposed to... does the light on the dash come on for low coolant? *it's a squarish shape with vertical bars* What you may need to do is look at the side of the reservoir - you may actually have an acceptable amount, it's kinda hard to see on our cars...

if you still can't see, I would start with dumping some water in there - if it takes more than half a gallon, you have issues, and potentially a leak (or just no one has checked the level in a long long time)
Old 06-09-08, 10:20 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
ok, well, it depends... is it really empty? I think pretty much all the Lexus use a pressurized reservoir that may not look full when you pull the cap off... it's not supposed to... does the light on the dash come on for low coolant? *it's a squarish shape with vertical bars* What you may need to do is look at the side of the reservoir - you may actually have an acceptable amount, it's kinda hard to see on our cars...

if you still can't see, I would start with dumping some water in there - if it takes more than half a gallon, you have issues, and potentially a leak (or just no one has checked the level in a long long time)
It looks like there is a little puddle on the bottom of the tank and thats all. I looked on the side where the lines are i dont see anything. oh and there is no dash lights at all