Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

re calibrating traction control

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 02:05 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re calibrating traction control

I have a previous generation sc but it has traction control.
I know that these cars don't come with trac.control but this one got it.
I think the previous owner put it in himself but I don't know how but my guess is he bought the system that was in the second gen.sc and installed it in this one.
But now a guy I know who works at a Cadillac dealer says that every now and then people should take the car in at the dealer to re calibrate the traction control.
He knows how to do it but only in caddilacs not Lexus so he can't help me but I"m wondering since my car is PRE obd2 is it possible to do it at home by yourself because you can't hook it up to a computer anyway so I guess it has to be in a way you can do it yourself.
And I would also like to know where the trac ecu might be because I don't know that.
Old 07-04-08, 06:15 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

there is no need to calibrate the traction control...

on 1st gen SC's traction control was an option from the manufacturer, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone anywhere that has installed traction control where the car didn't come with it from the factory...

just because it's obd1, not obd2 doesn't mean you can't hook a computer up to it - it just means it has to have a connector specifically for toyota/lexus, as obd1 connectors were not standardized like obd2 were, and same for software in the scan tool...

at any rate are you having problems with it? if not, leave it alone...
Old 07-04-08, 03:24 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

Yes actually I had a problem with it I almost had an accident because of it I was going up a small hill and my rear wheels started slipping real bad and the car started to go backwards I was lucky no one else was behind me because the he or she might have been hit by me and I almost fell of the bridge because my brakes wouldn't hold either the car just kept slipping like crazy till it stopped but it never happenedn to me before and I told people about it and that's why they said I have to recalibrate it or do something with it so it won;t happen again because I drove this road before a million times in wet weather and this never happened it's the first time it happenen and while it was happening the trac light was blinking so I know it got something to do with that.
Old 07-04-08, 03:57 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by cdvmagic
Yes actually I had a problem with it I almost had an accident because of it I was going up a small hill and my rear wheels started slipping real bad and the car started to go backwards I was lucky no one else was behind me because the he or she might have been hit by me and I almost fell of the bridge because my brakes wouldn't hold either the car just kept slipping like crazy till it stopped but it never happenedn to me before and I told people about it and that's why they said I have to recalibrate it or do something with it so it won;t happen again because I drove this road before a million times in wet weather and this never happened it's the first time it happenen and while it was happening the trac light was blinking so I know it got something to do with that.
I am guessing this wasn't on pavement???

that sounds like normal operation of traction control on a very slippery surface... the trac light normally blinks on low traction situations...

what kind of hill? rocky, snowy, icy, wet, steep, crappy tires??? I think you are leaving something out...
Old 07-07-08, 12:53 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

Actually the road was wet but I drove that road millions of times and something like that never happened.
I think maybe it;s because my tires are too thin I have to buy new tires and the stock rim for the car I'm gonna do that and then see if it solves my problem.
My tires doesn't look worn but they are thinner then normal ones because the previous owner bought them I think to make the car look gettoish but then that's why I don't have traction.
But I'm gonna buy the stock rims and tires and then see if it still happens the I guess there's nothing I can do because if it's not the trac control the what could it be?
Old 07-07-08, 07:50 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

it really really sounds like normal operation of the traction control on a real slick low traction surface... how thin of tires are we talking here? and also are they matched side to side?
Old 07-08-08, 03:17 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

Yeah but I still don't underdstand why the car slips like that.
I don't know the size of my tires because normally I only use stock rims but this car came with the sort of rims that most peoplein the hip hop communtity put on their car it's the kind when the rims are bigger an dthen there's less tire the tire itself is not thin but like they don't have a big side so that's unusual I don't know how to explain it to you but somebody who's familiar with the kind of car the hip hop people drives maybe knows about this.
But I'm ginna change them to the stock size and see if it helps.
Old 07-08-08, 03:24 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

MItsuguy actually I think your car or at least the pic you have on your profile has the same tire as mine.
They look thin and the rims look big.
I'm thinking that's why the tires kind of float on the water on the road causing it to completely loos grip.
I hope you understand what I mean now.
And 1 more thing.
Was passenger side airbags an option too for the previous gen.sc.
Because I saw one at the dealer without the airbag but mine has airbag written on the pass side and I ckecked the airbag was actually there.
All that time I taught that somebody might have changed the dash for some reason to that of a second gen but since I found out that some came with extra options I wonder if this was an option too.
Just curious
Old 07-08-08, 04:42 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The passenger side air bag was added on in 1994,but the 1992-93 only come with driver air bag. In 1995-2000 they added more and more air bags.
Old 07-08-08, 05:45 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by VVT-i
The passenger side air bag was added on in 1994,but the 1992-93 only come with driver air bag. In 1995-2000 they added more and more air bags.
my 93 has a passenger side air bag...
Old 07-08-08, 05:49 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by cdvmagic
MItsuguy actually I think your car or at least the pic you have on your profile has the same tire as mine.
They look thin and the rims look big.
I'm thinking that's why the tires kind of float on the water on the road causing it to completely loos grip.
I hope you understand what I mean now.
And 1 more thing.
Was passenger side airbags an option too for the previous gen.sc.
Because I saw one at the dealer without the airbag but mine has airbag written on the pass side and I ckecked the airbag was actually there.
All that time I taught that somebody might have changed the dash for some reason to that of a second gen but since I found out that some came with extra options I wonder if this was an option too.
Just curious
My tires work great in the wet... wet traction doesn't have too much to do with the section width of the tire, just the tread design and overall quality...

however, assuming you have matched tire sizes, then I am not sure of your problem...

there are so many things... why don't you just go read the tire sizes of all 4 tires and report back...