Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

blue smoke on startup

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-08, 06:13 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blue smoke on startup

my 99 gs400 with over 90k mi on the odo had been parked outdoors for over 6 months as a result of my being hospitalized/surgery

during my absence i had missed a regular oil change service, and just a few weeks back i took it to a private mechanic to get it done. when i restarted the car for the first time, everything seemed to be okay. but now after geting the service done, things are not so good. much to my distress, the car lets out a noticable cloud of blue smoke from the exhausts every time i start it up, especially the first start of the day. it used to puff just a little bit before, but now it's a cloud that hangs around for 3-5 seconds before it stops. it does not run blue otherwise (ie. while driving, accelerating, etc.).

it's on 10w30 castrol gtx. the mechanic hopes it's just sticky piston rings and will clear up. i haven't driven enough to see any noticable drop of oil levels, and it didn't burn any oil before my absence. others have been scaring me with guessing of failed valve stem seals or worn out rings...

should i be very worried? what should i do? help
Old 07-30-08, 07:48 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

You might want to do a seafoam treatment through the intake and crankcase. Your valve stem seals could have easily gotten gummed up with sludge, same goes to your rings. If you cant get it to clean up within a couple thousand miles, then id be looking at bad valve seals.
Old 08-08-08, 07:18 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

any idea where the best place to get seafoam online? it's not sold locally where i live up here in the great white tundra...
Old 08-27-08, 07:18 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Any update on this condition?

My 98 GS400 will blow a puff of blue smoke on start up but only happens under a specific set of circumstances.

Under normal day to day driving there is no smoke on startup either first thing in the morning or during the day.

If however, I startup the car first thing in the morning and only move it around the driveway to get my other car out and then turn off the car, it will give a puff (sometimes cloud) of smoke the next morning when I start it up again.

So it seems that on intial startup there maybe some oil drawn into the cylinder that will remain if the car is not given time to warm up after startup. That's my guess anyway.

My car has about 189K km. Perhaps it may also need valve seals.
Old 08-27-08, 07:37 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

i have no news... the mechanic put some sort of oil additive hoping that it might be just the piston rings sticking from not being run for so long, but because of my medical condition i haven't put enough mileage to see if it works
Old 08-29-08, 03:29 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
i have no news... the mechanic put some sort of oil additive hoping that it might be just the piston rings sticking from not being run for so long, but because of my medical condition i haven't put enough mileage to see if it works
Take care of your health first and don't worry about the little blue smoke when start up. If you have time, start the car up , warm it up and open she up a little bit, I mean floor it. Sometimes you baby the car too much will caused the carbon deposit at the base of the valve seat. Hey, drive she like you just stole it...
Old 09-13-08, 07:57 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

latest update... i've been driving a lot on the highway now. been driving it every day and the smoke has stopped. but if i leave the car untouched for 2 weeks, i get the puff again
Old 09-14-08, 12:34 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
latest update... i've been driving a lot on the highway now. been driving it every day and the smoke has stopped. but if i leave the car untouched for 2 weeks, i get the puff again
valve stem seals...

not the end of the world to replace them, but if it doesn't smoke all the time, just keep driving her...
Old 09-14-08, 06:23 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

any idea what it would cost to replace the valve stem seals? since there are forty of them

still, i've only done less than 1000 mi since starting it for the first time. i asked a mechanic about seafoam and he's reluctant to try because he think with the mileage i have, it may cause other things to leak as well and compound my existing problem...
Old 09-14-08, 09:54 AM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
valve stem seals...

not the end of the world to replace them, but if it doesn't smoke all the time, just keep driving her...
Agreed. If it's only smoking on start up then don't really worry about it. Just make sure to check your oil levels every so often.

You could always try some stop leak oil additive too.
Old 09-14-08, 02:01 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

that's the thing... no oil consumption at all.

i'm trying http://www.auto-rx.com at the moment.
Old 09-17-08, 05:00 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

mine does the same thing every so often, but while the car was on the dyno all straped up and have afr in the exhaust to see how the car is going for tune. it blew smoke at startup.

for some uncanny reason the afr was taking readings at the time, and found that the car at startup was dumping so much fuel to start!!!!!
Old 09-17-08, 07:44 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Take care of your health first and don't worry about the little blue smoke when start up. If you have time, start the car up , warm it up and open she up a little bit, I mean floor it. Sometimes you baby the car too much will caused the carbon deposit at the base of the valve seat. Hey, drive she like you just stole it...
^^^ I'm with this guy....

GL man.... Doesn't seem like a major problem though. As long as it isn't happening when you accelerate and such...
Old 09-18-08, 03:40 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by v8soarer91
mine does the same thing every so often, but while the car was on the dyno all straped up and have afr in the exhaust to see how the car is going for tune. it blew smoke at startup.

for some uncanny reason the afr was taking readings at the time, and found that the car at startup was dumping so much fuel to start!!!!!
blue = oil

black (and sometimes grey) = fuel

white (steam) = coolant
Old 09-18-08, 05:49 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by basketthis
^^^ I'm with this guy....

GL man.... Doesn't seem like a major problem though. As long as it isn't happening when you accelerate and such...

no smoke on acceleration.

Quick Reply: blue smoke on startup