Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

AAMCO Power PurgeŽ Plus Transmission Flush & Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-08, 01:58 PM
LW ES300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool This any good? AAMCO Power Purge abd Transmission Flush/Filter Change

This any good? AAMCO Power PurgeŽ Plus Transmission Flush & Filter Change - $99.95 valid unti 08/31/08

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 1996 ES300 I just got a few months ago (was Mom's from 29k until now with 145k on the clock & I know is has been driven easy). What do you guy think about this Aamco promotion? Any better going to a place that "specializes" in transmissions than the dealer. Do dealers even do this work (flush, change, etc) or do they subcontract to a trans shop? She doesn't remember having trans fluid changed & I can't find any receips. Fluid is not black, but is more a browner color than it is red/maroon. With 145K on the dashboard this fluid must be changed I'm sure, but by who, a Lexus dealer or these clowns at Aamco? Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Fluid Change/Maintenance
AAMCO Power PurgeŽ Plus Transmission Flush & Filter Change
AAMCO Power PurgeŽ Transmission Flush | AAMCO SafeguardŽ Fluid & Filter Change $99.95 valid unti 08/31/08

Transmission Services: AAMCO Power PurgeŽ Plus Transmission Flush & Filter Change
The AAMCO Power PurgeŽ Plus Transmission Flush & Filter Change is the most comprehensive transmission maintenance service available anywhere. It’s the service that may help your transmission shift better, longer.

The service includes:
- Complete External Diagnostic Service for your transmission
- 100% extraction of tired, old fluid
- Removal of dirt, grit and abrasives
- Replacement of the filter or cleaning of the screen
- Replacement of the pan gasket
- A check for leaks
- Fill with fresh, clean fluid

If your transmission fluid is dirty or deteriorating, you might be on the way to a transmission problem. An AAMCO Power PurgeŽ Plus Transmission Flush & Filter Change may help prevent transmission problems before they happen.

Last edited by LW ES300; 08-23-08 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Edit title & change the post icon
Old 08-24-08, 04:31 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

IIRC, the ES300 calls for Toyota Type T-II (and now T-IV) transmission fluid... pretty good chance AAMCO has the fluid (or a compatible type), but more than likely not going to be for the $100... it's typically about $30 or more in addition, or T-IV stuff...

might wanna double check that... might also want to double check how they do a flush... they should not be forcing any fluid through the transmission, but let the trans pump do the work... if what they use is a true power flush, then I would avoid it, and potentially look for someone who uses a passive flush machine
Old 08-29-08, 05:48 PM
LW ES300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
IIRC, the ES300 calls for Toyota Type T-II (and now T-IV) transmission fluid... pretty good chance AAMCO has the fluid (or a compatible type), but more than likely not going to be for the $100... it's typically about $30 or more in addition, or T-IV stuff...

might wanna double check that... might also want to double check how they do a flush... they should not be forcing any fluid through the transmission, but let the trans pump do the work... if what they use is a true power flush, then I would avoid it, and potentially look for someone who uses a passive flush machine
From other remarks at another tread I chose to avoid Aamco like the plague. Some people said they do nothing but create further problems after this is done (I've heard this over the years from other people I know that Aanco stinks & ends up causing more trouble then its worth). I ended up getting 4 qts of Type IV at Toyota ($6.77/ea) and my mechanic drained the old (only cost me $30 for time & disposal). Within only like 5 miles I could already feel a smoother, and even quieter shift. A well spent $60