Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

2nd gen gs trans

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-08, 05:49 PM
jjawaya
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gen gs trans

does anyone else have a problem with the reverse gear slipping on their car???? my car is an 05 gs300. here's my story. i noticed the problem a little while after purchasing the car(used.) took the car to the dealership a total of three times, and spent about $400. still no fix. they tell me that the slipping is a "normal" characteristic for the particular trans on the gs, there is no manufacture's recall,fix, or solution, and that i just have to live with it. they told me that they have other documented cases of this problem. i just want to know how common of a problem this is, and why lexus isn't willing to do anything to correct the problem. please post up, because obviously there's something wrong with my car, i'm frustrated with the answers i'm getting, and i have nowhere else to look for a solution...thanks
Old 09-06-08, 10:40 PM
donwan1802
Driver School Candidate

Default tranny

Originally Posted by jjawaya
does anyone else have a problem with the reverse gear slipping on their car???? my car is an 05 gs300. here's my story. i noticed the problem a little while after purchasing the car(used.) took the car to the dealership a total of three times, and spent about $400. still no fix. they tell me that the slipping is a "normal" characteristic for the particular trans on the gs, there is no manufacture's recall,fix, or solution, and that i just have to live with it. they told me that they have other documented cases of this problem. i just want to know how common of a problem this is, and why lexus isn't willing to do anything to correct the problem. please post up, because obviously there's something wrong with my car, i'm frustrated with the answers i'm getting, and i have nowhere else to look for a solution...thanks
i have a similar problem as well. my 01 gs300 shifts very fast, especially when hot. in first gear, it shifts in 2000rpm, and the second it shifts at 2500. do you have the same problem also?
Old 09-07-08, 12:44 AM
jjawaya
Driver School Candidate

nope. my problem is only in reverse. it's a surging feeling, kind of like the reverse clutch is slipping. i'm just gonna keep up the fight with lexus. i'll keep posting updates as i get them.
Old 09-07-08, 12:46 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mean it feels like it slips when it goes into reverse right? Like you put it in reverse, step on the gas, it doesn't go then jerks and goes back? I think it's a common thing. I feel it too, but only when I put it in reverse really quick and step on the gas quick, as if the trans weren't engaged all the way by the time I'm stepping on the gas, hence the slipping.
Old 09-07-08, 05:10 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll pay more attention from today on, but I haven't noticed that in my 03 GS430. When I reverse, I usually come to a complete stop, engage reverse, then start moving. I have never noticed any slip or delay. I've only had my GS for about a month now so I'll start to pay particular attention to this and see if it happens to mine as well.
Old 09-08-08, 03:38 AM
jjawaya
Driver School Candidate

the reverse gear engages no problem. while in reverse, it's a feeling like i'm pumping the brake, but not as severe. i don't know what to call it, slipping or surging. it still does it even when i give it a little gas. i've posted the same topic in the 2nd gen gs forum, and will probably pay more attention there because i'm getting more responses. i'll try to keep everyone updated.