Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Can't get the DARNED hub off!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-08, 10:07 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I just blasted the hub with another shot of PB Blaster and will be giving it another shot. The repair manual lists the two bolts holding the caliper on the knuckle as "non-reusable part." Why does this say this and should I really buy new bolts? What is the common practice here?
Old 11-19-08, 03:48 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
I just blasted the hub with another shot of PB Blaster and will be giving it another shot. The repair manual lists the two bolts holding the caliper on the knuckle as "non-reusable part." Why does this say this and should I really buy new bolts? What is the common practice here?
if a bolt or nut is listed as non reusable, and it holding something critical on the vehicle, it's a good idea not to re use it...
Old 11-20-08, 05:59 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So let me try and understand this, the risk is that the bolt could fail simply because its been installed more than once??
Old 11-20-08, 06:20 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

So let me try and understand this, the risk is that the bolt could fail simply because its been installed more than once??
I don't have all the info on that particular bolt, but most of the time when a bolt is a one time use bolt it is because the torque spec on it actually stretches the bolt just a little... this stretch is what causes fasteners to fail if they have been retorqued to the same as originally caused them to stretch... you should never re use most head bolts because of this, flywheel bolts, and a few other fasteners are typically one time use as well... another common issue when a bolt has been stretched is that it can never be torqued properly, thus it can come loose in certain circumstances...
Old 02-18-10, 07:56 PM
mdt525
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any pics to remove the front calipers? Or let me know what bolts or screws need to be removed after the pads are taken out.

Thanks
Old 02-19-10, 07:17 PM
AshburnM3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You and I must have a telepathic link, aproximately when you posted on here to buy the PB Blaster, I bought it at walmart. Not knowing that was the name of the product, I went and found it and noticed that it was the very same product that I picked-out for this task. I gave it a blast earlier today when I got home with the wheel and all back on and I'll blast it again tomorrow and let it soak and then hopefully when I get around to taking the wheel and caliper back off, it will be ready to come out. I'll keep you updated....let's see if this stuff is as good as some claim it is...
you need a heavy duty slide hammer for the job. good luck with the pb blaster.