Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

So SC400 P/S

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-08, 05:29 PM
shajbot
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Default So SC400 P/S

Just wanted to share my repairing my SC400 story. Today, replaced power steering pump with freshly rebuilt one, steering feel a little bit lighter but still way heavier than my 94 Camry. Mechanic billed me $200, I was only able to pay $30 cuz it's all that left in my pocket after getting title and registration done this morning for the same car.

So it must still be the rack and pinion yes? I'm looking at another $300 to buy a used rack and pinion and have it put in.
Old 11-13-08, 09:41 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ummmm.... are you sure its not just a heavy feel and it might just be normal...

wider wheels and tires than your camry, for instance can cause that...
Old 11-13-08, 09:57 PM
shajbot
Advanced

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
ummmm.... are you sure its not just a heavy feel and it might just be normal...

wider wheels and tires than your camry, for instance can cause that...
Hey mitsuguy, thanks for that comment, you've been tremendous help in this power steering thing for my car.

Wider wheel yes, but once I was checking out a used 99' SC300 at a dealership and the steering was very light. Way lighter than my Camry now that I use it as standard point.

One other thing, when I'm not moving, I turn the wheel and I can feel building up resistance when turning it to the right, the more I try to turn it the more resistance it builds up up to a point where it's really heavy that I can barely move the steering wheel. Rev-ing the engine doesn't help with the semi-locking up. Start moving the car and it returns to its regular condition.

Rack for sure? Fluid bypassing in the gear housing makes not enough pressure for p/s?
Old 11-14-08, 05:08 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I would say that's really the only option given your symptoms...
Old 11-17-08, 03:44 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

You may not need a rack, you may just need to have the screen on the solenoid for the power steering rack cleaned. Often times this can get clogged and cause a hard steering issue. Ive replaced power steering pumps in the past and had hard steering afterwards. Usually its the solenoid on the rack... if it were a pump pressure issue, revving the engine would solve it.
Old 11-17-08, 06:02 PM
shajbot
Advanced

What is the screen thing you're talking about. Any picture? Thanks I unplugged the solenoid for now and I have no power steering at all. But it's a bit better than having occasional power that scares me.
Old 11-17-08, 07:04 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I dont have any picture, but basically, the solenoid that is on the power steering rack unscrews.. and on the inside of it, it has a screen that filters the fluid before it enters the solenoid. It takes a bit of work to remove this solenoid.. but well worth it.
Old 11-22-08, 11:27 PM
shajbot
Advanced

I haven't looked into disassembling the rack but here's something interesting I found.

Seafoamed the car via brake booster line this morning, some in the tank. Now my power steering feels considerably lighter. Usually when I take an on ramp 50 degree turn at 40mph I had to use both hands to hold the steering, now it can be done with one hand.

What did seafoam clear out that help the power steering?

Old 11-23-08, 06:05 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

um, nothing actually...

the power steering system has zero interaction with the internals of the engine. the pump is driven via belt, and there are no vacuum connections...
Old 11-23-08, 07:15 AM
shajbot
Advanced

What about the two small vacuum lines that go from the intake to the high pressure line?
Old 11-23-08, 08:47 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

really? I've never had to take mine apart, but I don't recall ever seeing vacuum lines on any part of the p/s system...
Old 11-23-08, 02:20 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

The system is pump driven, vaccum assisted . most power steering systems are after 1990. Some are electric assist, but thats usually only in smaller cars.
Old 11-23-08, 02:52 PM
shajbot
Advanced

Smile P/S solved!

I blocked off the two vacuum lines and reconnect the solenoid, boom, full power steering returned. I'm in bliss. Hopefully it doesn't go away.
Old 11-23-08, 03:08 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
The system is pump driven, vaccum assisted . most power steering systems are after 1990. Some are electric assist, but thats usually only in smaller cars.
Ummm... I'm aware of variable assist power steering using a vacuum line to change the power steering effort (guess I shoulda thought about that when the OP's problem originated, but I supposed I didn't because my car doesn't have the variable assist with vacuum like that - I just looked it up and evidently it's an option on earlier model Lexus'...)

However, I can't think of any car that actually uses vacuum as a power steering assist... in fact, I challenge ya for an example and proof...
Old 11-24-08, 09:30 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

The early/Mid 90's Lincoln towncars for one, and Mark IV/Thunderbirds of the 80s.

but this is what i meant when i said that:

Ummm... I'm aware of variable assist power steering using a vacuum line to change the power steering effort (guess I shoulda thought about that when the OP's problem originated, but I supposed I didn't because my car doesn't have the variable assist with vacuum like that - I just looked it up and evidently it's an option on earlier model Lexus'...)
that to my mind is an "assist"... it makes it easier. To my knowledge there is no system (like you said) that uses ONLY vacuum to assist. some use more vacuum than others. The ones that do use vacuum, use vacuum and electric. For instance, My parents 85 Chevy astro van had a HUGE steering problem because ALL of the weight was directly over the steering system, 4.3L iron block v6 is no joke weight wise. Alignments were a yearly practice, as were tires. The vacuum system did the largest part of assisting the power steering. When the lines became brittle and eventually dryrotted, power steering went downhill till we found the problem. This was years ago so you will forgive me if my recollection is a bit hazy.

I like you am very familiar with nearly all makes and models of cars, very few everyday cars that i havent worked on, and some pretty rare ones (a ferarri 308 GTB for example) i have worked on as well. My post was not meant to challenge you, but merely to help.

Quick Reply: So SC400 P/S