Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

I have 2 problems withe my Gs430 "04

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-08, 11:36 AM
mannoor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I have 2 problems withe my Gs430 "04

I have 2 problems withe my Gs430 "04

The first problem Removed the catalyst converter and then I check Engine show up on my dash boord ??!

I have deleted it by computer but its still comeing back after 10 minutes

I do not know what to do Is there a way to remove it because I dnot want catalyst converter

The second problem I have purchased the SRT air intak
and befor I Install it I had a 273HP on the dyno but when I Installed the SRT intak the HP was 230HP !??? why???

evrything in my car is ok but there is the error from the catalyst converter

can somebaddy help me plzzzzzzzz
Old 12-24-08, 11:43 AM
Revenge Motorsports
Driver

You need to get O2 sensor defoulers to simulate the catalyzer.
Old 12-24-08, 11:51 AM
mannoor
Driver School Candidate

how can i do that?

but i have installed a new o2 sensor and its the same !!
Old 12-24-08, 02:54 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

If you are in the US, I highly recommend you reinstall your catalytic converter... I don't recall the exact numbers, but its something along the lines of 10,000 dollar fines both to you and the shop that did the work, if applicable...

Even better question is why? Unless your car is turbocharged, those catalytic converters usually help with horsepower by giving you a little bit of backpressure... Most people I've see that delete the cat's without any other tuning (on a naturally aspirated car) lose low end torque and very rarely gain a couple hp on the high end, for a loss of power under the curve as a whole...

You can install o2 sensors til your hearts content, but if they are working properly they are going to know that the cat is not there and they are going to throw a check engine light because of it... As mentioned, there is a way around it, by using whats called an o2 simulator - this is an electronic box that fools the cars computer into thinking the cat is healthy...

Air intake time...

here is a quote from lextasy.com: "The GS430 SRT High Flow Intake system adjusts the air-fuel ratio to optimal settings in conjunction with a high flow Intake system. The stock intake system from Lexus has deficiencies in supplying air needed by the engine. Swift Racing is proud to present the first ever High Flow Air Intake for the Lexus GS430. Only Intake system that Modifies the ECU that recalibrates the air-fuel ratios for optimal performance and enhanced fuel economy. Soldiering is requeired. Performance gains: +30HP and +40ft/lb torque."

I CRINGE when I see a air intake setup that modifies the ECU and recalibrates ANYTHING... CRINGE!!!!

First off, what I see wrong with that setup - well, that nice metal shield is nice and all, but you can't tell me that it is keeping all the hot engine bay air away from the intake - so, you are sucking in hot air, thus decreasing horsepower automatically... But, lets get realistic - thats not a 40 hp loss... I read it says "soldering required" I would love to get my hands on the instructions for this thing and see what we are soldering... My educated guess is that we are soldering in some sort of resistor pack on the intake air temp sensor wire... Do we all know that that is enough to pull the ECM out of spec far enough to advance timing enough to kill an engine by detonation... Yes kiddies, the reason those resistor packs make more power (and there is no way just an intake makes 30 hp, so the extra hp gain has to come from the electronics), is that they fool the ECM into adding timing... raise the timing enough and you get pre-ignition, aka knock... enough knock kills an engine...

now, in your case, because you lost about 40 hp, is there a possibility it got wired wrong or the soldering is bad?
Old 12-24-08, 02:55 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

oh, and when you say everything in your car is ok, but there is a check engine light on and you are making 40 hp less than you previously were, you are heavily contradicting yourself...
Old 12-25-08, 03:35 AM
mannoor
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
If you are in the US, I highly recommend you reinstall your catalytic converter... I don't recall the exact numbers, but its something along the lines of 10,000 dollar fines both to you and the shop that did the work, if applicable...

Even better question is why? Unless your car is turbocharged, those catalytic converters usually help with horsepower by giving you a little bit of backpressure... Most people I've see that delete the cat's without any other tuning (on a naturally aspirated car) lose low end torque and very rarely gain a couple hp on the high end, for a loss of power under the curve as a whole...

You can install o2 sensors til your hearts content, but if they are working properly they are going to know that the cat is not there and they are going to throw a check engine light because of it... As mentioned, there is a way around it, by using whats called an o2 simulator - this is an electronic box that fools the cars computer into thinking the cat is healthy...

Air intake time...

here is a quote from lextasy.com: "The GS430 SRT High Flow Intake system adjusts the air-fuel ratio to optimal settings in conjunction with a high flow Intake system. The stock intake system from Lexus has deficiencies in supplying air needed by the engine. Swift Racing is proud to present the first ever High Flow Air Intake for the Lexus GS430. Only Intake system that Modifies the ECU that recalibrates the air-fuel ratios for optimal performance and enhanced fuel economy. Soldiering is requeired. Performance gains: +30HP and +40ft/lb torque."

I CRINGE when I see a air intake setup that modifies the ECU and recalibrates ANYTHING... CRINGE!!!!

First off, what I see wrong with that setup - well, that nice metal shield is nice and all, but you can't tell me that it is keeping all the hot engine bay air away from the intake - so, you are sucking in hot air, thus decreasing horsepower automatically... But, lets get realistic - thats not a 40 hp loss... I read it says "soldering required" I would love to get my hands on the instructions for this thing and see what we are soldering... My educated guess is that we are soldering in some sort of resistor pack on the intake air temp sensor wire... Do we all know that that is enough to pull the ECM out of spec far enough to advance timing enough to kill an engine by detonation... Yes kiddies, the reason those resistor packs make more power (and there is no way just an intake makes 30 hp, so the extra hp gain has to come from the electronics), is that they fool the ECM into adding timing... raise the timing enough and you get pre-ignition, aka knock... enough knock kills an engine...

now, in your case, because you lost about 40 hp, is there a possibility it got wired wrong or the soldering is bad?

the soldering is good but i dont know whats wrong !!??
Old 12-25-08, 06:45 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

is that really all you got from that, that your soldering might be questionable???

there are so many things wrong with your setup that you are going to need more help than we can provide here...

Personally, I would start out with returning the car to as stock as possible... see if you can get the car back to stock and get your power back, then you can add your mods back and see where the problem is... my money is on the part you soldered...
Old 12-25-08, 12:02 PM
mannoor
Driver School Candidate

really i dont know im going crazy >_<
Old 01-03-09, 02:50 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE
Senior Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you sure you were getting 273RWHP before the intake and NOT 237???

Unless you have some serious stuff going on, no GS has ever made that much stock.

More info on the SRT intake from the manufacture from those interested:

http://www.swiftracing.com/SRT/item....d=86&u=2000028
Old 01-03-09, 05:21 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4

Unless you have some serious stuff going on, no GS has ever made that much stock.

Didn't even think about the 273 figure...

I would love to see the inside of their air/fuel ecu... My money says its nothing more than a couple resistors... If so, I can't say I'd want to use that...
Old 01-03-09, 04:34 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I would double check your connection for the soldering, and def. put the cat back on.
Old 01-03-09, 06:06 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, check your soldering and double check the wires you cut at the ECM for the piggy back ECU. Definitely put the catalyst converter back on especially you are located in CA.
Old 02-08-09, 03:03 AM
mannoor
Driver School Candidate

yes pro befor the cat-back it was 253 on the dyno ^_^ so i installed i cat-back with the Y bibe ^_^ some you can see withe this itme and straight bibe its will be more than 265 on the weel

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4

Old 02-08-09, 03:05 AM
mannoor
Driver School Candidate

im trying now to see what i can do for this thing ><
Old 02-08-09, 12:38 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

put it back to stock, then troubleshoot from there...

either that, or take it to a tuner that knows what they are doing

Quick Reply: I have 2 problems withe my Gs430 "04