Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

YIKES! Getting that crack in the middle of the door window sill - any possible fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-06, 04:55 PM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
What can I say? Of course it can be replaced with a new one. That's so obvious a solution that most "how-to-fix" threads, including this one, don't bother to mention that option (well, until now, that is).

The easiest thing in the world is to go to a dealer and say "here is all my money- fix my car". Dealers love to hear that. But if that is how you approach problems, you don't need this web page. The reason a lot of us come to this web page is to find out ways to maintain our cars without spending that kind of money.

But to answer your question specifically, a new window frame is about $200. Whether that can be considered "expensive" is a personal choice, although I guess you know 2autumn's and my opinion.
I paid $360 for the new window frame I ordered on the 'net, which was somewhat less than the $400+ MSRP. I had removed mine and repaired it then when I went to put it back, realized it would not fit right. With the piece out of the car it was very hard to get it in a position to close the gap so the adhesive could set. So I think it may have more to do with expansion and contraction cycles than with the weight of an arm on it. I say this b/c both of mine were cracked and the car has very low miles on it.

Since I had snapped off several of the brittle tabs when removing the first one, I elected to repair the other side by leaving the piece in place so that the mounting tabs would serve as a jig. I carefully pulled back the vinyl, then instead of trying to close the gap, I filled it in with adhesive. Then I used spray contact cement to resecure the vinyl trim.