Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Info on Air compressors for the house??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-09, 01:17 PM
AZN Lex
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Info on Air compressors for the house??

I just got a new house and I would like to work on my car more. I was thinking about getting an air compressor to help work on the car and some other home improvement projects. Anyone have any advice/recommendations? I'm a little limited on space, so i'm not looking for a huge one.
Old 01-26-09, 02:28 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the Craftsman 26 gallon with tools for $298. Sell the Craftsman air tools on ebay and get a set of Intersoll Rand.
Old 01-26-09, 04:28 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

If space is a concern, get one that stands up right. I would go for at least 20 gallons. Anything less than that, you may not be satisfied with. If you're just taking out a few nuts and bolts here and there, or doing some nailing work, then it's fine.

How often are you going to use it? If you use your compressor frequently, I suggest getting an oil-type compressor. They're usually a lot quieter but cost more. I have an oil-free compressor and its NOISY. If you do happen to do a lot of work, having a small tank will keep that motor running all day long. My 25 gal tank allows me to use my brad nail gun all around my house in one tank.

How much do you plan to spend? There are so many tanks out there that I can't give you a recommendation. Keep in mind that you do get what you paid for. My friend's 26 gal craftsman compressor developed a leak somewhere between the motor and the tank. Then again I'm not too surprised because of all the reviews I read on Sears.com. Speaking of reviews, you may want to go on sears to get an idea of what kind of compressors are available out there.

Invest in good tools. I personally love Ingersoll Rand when it comes to impact guns. I'm guessing you're going to be working on your car so get yourself some impact sockets (craftsman seems to be good). You do not want to use regular sockets on a gun.