Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

mis firing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-09, 01:11 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mis firing?

ok so yesterday i was just driving. then at a stoplight, my engine rpm's dropped all of a sudden and it started making a gurgling noise. and when i started to drive away it sounded like a wrx wit exhaust! and it smelled bad like gas. so i'm guessing spark plugs? my fren said it might be the wires. but i changed both back in like march. anyother thing it could be?

Peace out
Old 01-30-09, 06:55 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

how much power does the car have??? I had a similar sound when one coil pack died... only running on 4 cylinders, it didn't have hardly any power and ran/sounded like crap...

I would highly doubt it was the wires and plugs if both are less than a year old...

one thing about coils - it's easy to test if it is still doing it... simply unplug one coil at a time and watch for spark coming out of both of them... (they will ground to the block and the spark will jump to ground), alternatively, if you unplug one and the car won't start at all, then it is definitely the other coil that is bad... if you unplug one and it still acts the exact same, then it is most likely that coil that is bad...

could also be distributor and rotor (our cars have two of each) - sometimes the rotor will wear out and not transfer the spark, or the gap will be too high for it to transfer all of the spark...
Old 02-02-09, 12:20 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

which part is the coil? sorry i'm a noob at these things. used to just doing simple things. it's the sprak plug, spark plug wire, then it goes into the thing at the front where 4 of them are connected. is that the coil? or could u post a pic where it is? and how much does it cost to get a new one? sorry for my questions... >< but thanks alot for your help!

Peace out
Old 02-02-09, 04:12 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by breakb
which part is the coil? sorry i'm a noob at these things. used to just doing simple things. it's the sprak plug, spark plug wire, then it goes into the thing at the front where 4 of them are connected. is that the coil? or could u post a pic where it is? and how much does it cost to get a new one? sorry for my questions... >< but thanks alot for your help!

Peace out
coils can be purchased aftermarket, somewhere between $75 and $150, I've never had to buy one... the part you are talking about is the distributor cap - there are actually 5 wires there, 4 on each side of the motor go to the spark plugs, the fifth goes to a coil on each side of the motor...
Old 02-03-09, 12:18 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

ok is the coil the thing that looks like is has gel inside it? and during when i unplug it i broke the plastic piece the clip part, doh! lol. guess i'll have to use zipties and tape again.

peace out
Old 02-03-09, 01:34 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

ok i unplug both coils seperatly and the car still runs when i unplug either side....is there anyway to check the distrubutor and rotor? but when i unlug'ed the coil it ran liek SHIET. liek u said, my car isn't running that bad. but it still feels like one cylinder isn't firing or sumtin...

i miss my car so much...

Peace out

Last edited by breakb; 02-03-09 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-05-09, 05:51 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

ok so i replaced the distributor cap and the rotor and the coil wire. coil wire went bad, but i replaced the rotor and distributor cap and it still runs like before. like a tiny misfire. my mechanic said the next thing is to just go to a place and get a diagnotic... he said can run it though and see if it resets or sumtin, but still runs the same as before...anymore idea's guys?

peace out
Old 02-05-09, 08:43 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

not much of a mechanic if he can't troubleshoot it huh... sounds more like a part installer... a true mechanic should be able to test and see where the miss is... it could also be an injector, bad plug, a wire that is loose that is letting the spark jump to ground... things like this take diagnostic experience and an eye for detail...
Old 02-07-09, 01:23 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

my fren also told me to unplug the injector wire. but...i have no clue where that is...and he said try check the ignitor chip? and also. if i just unplug each spark plug wire at a time could i check it that way? like if it runs the same when i unplug one then replace it right? or do i have to unplug it while it is on? checked all the wire's it seems all the wire's are fine.

thanks for all the help mitsuguy. i love my car. =(

Peace out
Old 02-09-09, 03:33 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

anyone?

Peace out
Old 02-10-09, 02:24 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

well guys...it ended up being a spark plug wire. no clue why cuz it's only a year old. took um off one by one, and when i took that one off it ran better wit out it. change'd it and took it up to 120. feels good as before. yay!!! thanks guys for all your help.

peace out
Old 02-10-09, 05:09 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

definitely not impossible, just usually not likely... one thing you want to make sure is that you used dielectric grease on the boots when you installed the wires... the lack of it is usually what causes the wires to go bad early on...
Old 02-10-09, 06:02 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

the boots? i'm guessing the part that goes into and on top of the spark plug? could i get this dielectric grease from like napa and stuff? or one of those special order online things?

peace out
Old 02-10-09, 06:06 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

definitely can get it in one time use packets for like $.69 or whatever at most auto parts stores...

here's a quick how to... http://www.techguys.ca/howto/spark_plugs.html