Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

"Coolant" vs. "Engine Coolant" under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-09, 04:36 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Coolant" vs. "Engine Coolant" under the hood

The 2GS is prone to popping and bubbling noises (as many of you probably know) caused by air bubbles and I have heard that the best way to correct this is by adding coolant.

I popped the hood and noticed that there are two different coolant reservoirs- "coolant" and "engine coolant". I bought coolant w/ antifreeze and was wondering which one I should dump it in?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-09, 06:44 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

there should be only one engine coolant fill area which is by the radiator cap. Unless you're talking about the coolant resevior. You want to use toyota red coolant and distilled water when filling up. Since a complete flush will take almost two gallon, what I usually do is pour one gallon of water in first and then half a gallon of coolant. Then take the empty jug and pour in 30% coolant and 70% water. That should be good enough. Also, when you are filling the coolant, start the engine so that it circulate the coolant through the engine.
Old 03-11-09, 10:10 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Also make sure you turn on the heater to full heat to get the heater core open. Most of the time having that gurgling noise is due to air in the system. Ever since bleeding the air out, I dont have that noise anymore.
Old 03-11-09, 10:18 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

where do you dispose the coolant btw?

also another tip regarding burping, park in an incline,

when i had my SC i filled the fill hole till i cant fill anymore, let it run for awhile and then put the bolt back on. After that i poured some in the over flow tank till its at its correct level.
Old 03-11-09, 10:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

If your local auto parts dealer wont take it, then you can try taking it to your dealer. Many times they'll accept it if it's just a few gallons.
Old 03-12-09, 11:20 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the explanations
Old 03-14-09, 09:27 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
If your local auto parts dealer wont take it, then you can try taking it to your dealer. Many times they'll accept it if it's just a few gallons.
You can also flush it down the toilet or sink if your city's municipal sewer system allows for it - the plant can handle ethylene glycol but not the heavy metals. Call your sewer company.
Old 03-15-09, 02:52 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
You can also flush it down the toilet or sink if your city's municipal sewer system allows for it - the plant can handle ethylene glycol but not the heavy metals. Call your sewer company.

30 mins later. cops ring the door bell. heh jk
Old 03-15-09, 10:08 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vwynn
30 mins later. cops ring the door bell. heh jk
Like I said, call up the agency in charge of sewers in your city.
Old 03-17-09, 06:33 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Nimby

Originally Posted by nthach
Like George Carlin use to joke about ... NIMBY !!!! Not In My Back Yard !!!! Are you kidding, I don't know of any municipality that openly claims they can handle 'antifreeze' and would even suggest to dump it down the sink. Also, if you're drinking your tap, you really want to dump the crap in your own reservoir? Go dump it in the "next" municipality.... j/k. Don't dump it down any toilet, just bring it to your local conservation center, they'll take antifreeze and dispose properly (hopefully, and not down the toilet).
Old 03-17-09, 07:36 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Like George Carlin use to joke about ... NIMBY !!!! Not In My Back Yard !!!! Are you kidding, I don't know of any municipality that openly claims they can handle 'antifreeze' and would even suggest to dump it down the sink. Also, if you're drinking your tap, you really want to dump the crap in your own reservoir? Go dump it in the "next" municipality.... j/k. Don't dump it down any toilet, just bring it to your local conservation center, they'll take antifreeze and dispose properly (hopefully, and not down the toilet).
That's what I usually do - I'll take it to the local hazardous waste dump. And to clarify my post, here's an article saying flush water is OK to go down the drain while all full-strength stuff needs to be handled differently:

http://www.imcool.com/articles/antif...r_Disposal.php