Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

ArmyofOne's DIY Workshop-Front Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-09, 10:19 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

any recommendation for brake squeal?
i just replaced front brakes on my beater with EBC pads and rotors, but my brakes squeal. pads comes with shims and adhesive that stick right on the pads. didn't try to scrub new rotors with a steel wool or light sand paper though. is this the problem? or should try some squeak-stop products?
Old 03-15-09, 12:50 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Meh, i used a C-clamp...wasnt difficult at all.
Old 03-15-09, 12:51 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by stvincent
i just replaced front brakes on my beater with EBC pads and rotors, but my brakes squeal. pads comes with shims and adhesive that stick right on the pads. didn't try to scrub new rotors with a steel wool or light sand paper though. is this the problem? or should try some squeak-stop products?
It could very well be, you may have glazed the pads (given them a mirror-like surface).
Old 03-15-09, 01:41 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
fluid didnt gush out, DONT open the resivoir, if you do, your caliper piston will uncompress and you ould suck air back into the system. Leave the cap on.
There was one time when fluid gushed out on me when I left the cap on. From that point on I started opening the cap before compressing the pistons. I guess we all have different experiences. For the user of this DIY, just go with what method works best for you.
Old 03-15-09, 05:30 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Im sorry mole, I didnt mean to imply you didnt know what your were talking about, I have just been doing brakes this way for years and well, you cant teach an old dog new tricks
Old 03-15-09, 05:48 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No apology needed as I didn't take any offense to it. Awesome series of DIYs so far. Looking forward to more!
Old 03-15-09, 07:15 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Really, just compressing the pistons and shoving the brake fluid back into the reservoir isn't such a good idea, especially on a car with ABS.

Many times the brake fluid has become contaminated with copper particles (brake fluid is highly corrosive once the corrosion inhibitors have worn out). The copper is literally leached out of the brake lines. At any rate, any other potential contamination should be pushed out the brake caliper bleeder, not back into the system. There is a potential for damage to both the ABS Hydraulic Unit and Master Cylinder. Though rare, it can happen.

Realistically, the process should be to open the bleeder at the caliper at the same time you are pressing the piston back in. Then, when complete with the brake pad replacement, add some fluid to the master cylinder and bleed the brakes at all 4 corners. This is how a reputable shop should do the work, and it is how vehicle manufacturers require it.
Old 03-15-09, 10:06 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Really, just compressing the pistons and shoving the brake fluid back into the reservoir isn't such a good idea, especially on a car with ABS.

Many times the brake fluid has become contaminated with copper particles (brake fluid is highly corrosive once the corrosion inhibitors have worn out). The copper is literally leached out of the brake lines. At any rate, any other potential contamination should be pushed out the brake caliper bleeder, not back into the system. There is a potential for damage to both the ABS Hydraulic Unit and Master Cylinder. Though rare, it can happen.

Realistically, the process should be to open the bleeder at the caliper at the same time you are pressing the piston back in. Then, when complete with the brake pad replacement, add some fluid to the master cylinder and bleed the brakes at all 4 corners. This is how a reputable shop should do the work, and it is how vehicle manufacturers require it.
What about those weird Honda ABS systems?
Old 03-15-09, 10:13 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
What about those weird Honda ABS systems?
Is this what you are talking about:

"Warning! Before bleeding the system, high pressure must be released from the accumulator and power unit. A special ALB-T wrench (Part No. 07HAA-SG00100) or equivalent must be used to bleed the power unit valve under the red cap. System pressures may be as much as 3000 PSI. A face shield should be worn and the connections covered with a rag when bleeding the system. Note: If ABS light comes on and stays on, remove the 15 amp fuse to erase codes and turn off light."
Old 03-16-09, 08:54 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Is this what you are talking about:

"Warning! Before bleeding the system, high pressure must be released from the accumulator and power unit. A special ALB-T wrench (Part No. 07HAA-SG00100) or equivalent must be used to bleed the power unit valve under the red cap. System pressures may be as much as 3000 PSI. A face shield should be worn and the connections covered with a rag when bleeding the system. Note: If ABS light comes on and stays on, remove the 15 amp fuse to erase codes and turn off light."
Yep - the ones with a separate brake fluid reservoir and a brake bomb.
Old 03-16-09, 09:15 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stvincent
Like I said, aftermarket pads can cause issues on some cars - are the rotors EBC slotted or solid? I would pull the pads and apply a high-temp moly brake lube such as Molykote M77 onto the shims/backing plates and the pad sliding ledges on the caliper shoe/mount, and Sil-Glyde or a rubber-friendly grease on the slide pins.