Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Use of aftermarket brake pads on '06 GS300?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-09, 10:09 AM
osx-addict
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Use of aftermarket brake pads on '06 GS300?

Hi all..

Well.. My '06 GS300 (owned for almost 4 years) is finally ready for new front pads after almost 25k miles. I've already redone the rears some time ago.. Not sure why the fronts lasted longer (backwards from what I've had with just about every other vehicle I've ever owned). Anyway, the local dealer wants >$90 for the front pads (just for parts) and I found an online dealer on the east coast for a bit over 1/2 that. Anyway, IF I go with aftermarket pads, what should I be looking for -- I gather I should avoid semi-metalic and go with either ceramic or organic.. The prices seem to be all over the place from poking around on RockAuto from $20 to $55.. If the 'good' pads are on the higher end then I might as well get the Lexus pads (mail-order). Anyway, I want something that will not wear down the rotors excessively fast.. Thx!

P.S. Is there anything to look out for when doing front pads on this vehicle? Thx!
Old 03-17-09, 01:00 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

For the $20 brake pads:
- sometimes squeaking noise
- don't last as long...perhaps, half the life of the more expensive ones
- if you are not racing and if you are doing the brake job yourself, the $20 brake pads will be fine
Old 03-17-09, 01:13 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go OEM - but if you want aftermarket pads, I've have great success with Australian-made PBR/Axxis pads - Rock Auto carries them as Beck-Arnley's Axxis line, 088 is the part prefix.

Stay away from Raybestos though - I've had no luck with them. A Nissan I used those on had to get new rotors, while a Honda I put those on squealed like a pig and ate through those in 3 months.
Old 03-17-09, 03:46 PM
osx-addict
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
I'd go OEM - but if you want aftermarket pads, I've have great success with Australian-made PBR/Axxis pads - Rock Auto carries them as Beck-Arnley's Axxis line, 088 is the part prefix.

Stay away from Raybestos though - I've had no luck with them. A Nissan I used those on had to get new rotors, while a Honda I put those on squealed like a pig and ate through those in 3 months.
Thanks.. I just popped back on the RockAuto site and they only show prefixes of 82, 86, 87 with the following descriptions :
  • BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0871657, Front; Semi-Metallic [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty]
  • BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0821657, Front; Premium
  • BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0861657C, Front; Ceramic

I'm wondering now if I should just bite the bullet and buy the Lexus ones.. At least they're a known quantity with regards to lifespan,etc. I might have to think about this a bit more..
Old 03-17-09, 04:33 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I put freakin valuecraft rotors on my cavalier, i know it isnt a lexus, but I have had no issues.
Old 03-17-09, 07:30 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by osx-addict
Thanks.. I just popped back on the RockAuto site and they only show prefixes of 82, 86, 87 with the following descriptions :
  • BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0871657, Front; Semi-Metallic [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty]
  • BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0821657, Front; Premium
  • BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0861657C, Front; Ceramic

I'm wondering now if I should just bite the bullet and buy the Lexus ones.. At least they're a known quantity with regards to lifespan,etc. I might have to think about this a bit more..
Those pads are made in Canada as are most aftermarket brake pads - the exception to the rule would be Duralast and Valucraft being made in China or India, while Raybestos is also sourcing pads from Mexico.

I'd try to punch in 088-1657D, 088-1657M or 088-1657U. IMO, I would stay stock. I also know Akebono and Aisin/ADVICS makes their pads available to the aftermarket - if you know someone with a WorldPac account they can get the Advics or Akebono white box pads which is the same as OEM. Akebono ProACT in the black and blue box is good too and easier to get.
Old 03-18-09, 04:42 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have installed aftermarket brake pads ($20-$40 pads) numerous times. The only cons are the ones listed above......noise and wear.
Old 03-18-09, 06:11 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I've had good luck (98%+) with the Wagner pads and mediocre luck with the Raybestos (80%+) pads... in comparison to OEM with regards to noise and squeal...

as far as what material - always go back with what stock was... some Lexus' call for semi-metallic pads, some ceramic... I don't believe any use the NAOrganic pads, but there is always that possibility *possibly a hybrid might* I don't have a catalog to look it up, but the info is out there...

One other quick note - usually squeals and squeaks come from improper turning of the rotors or not lubing a slide pin on the caliper causing a pad to glaze quickly... It's more installer error than anything...
Old 03-18-09, 09:02 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Those pads are made in Canada as are most aftermarket brake pads - the exception to the rule would be Duralast and Valucraft being made in China or India, while Raybestos is also sourcing pads from Mexico.

I'd try to punch in 088-1657D, 088-1657M or 088-1657U. IMO, I would stay stock. I also know Akebono and Aisin/ADVICS makes their pads available to the aftermarket - if you know someone with a WorldPac account they can get the Advics or Akebono white box pads which is the same as OEM. Akebono ProACT in the black and blue box is good too and easier to get.
Duralast parts are made right here in the good ol' USA nthach. Valucraft is made in Mexico.
Old 03-18-09, 09:19 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Duralast parts are made right here in the good ol' USA nthach. Valucraft is made in Mexico.
The local Autozone had their shipment come in, and I've noticed that the Duralast and Valucraft friction in their crate was made in India and China.
Old 03-18-09, 09:24 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I've had good luck (98%+) with the Wagner pads and mediocre luck with the Raybestos (80%+) pads... in comparison to OEM with regards to noise and squeal...

as far as what material - always go back with what stock was... some Lexus' call for semi-metallic pads, some ceramic... I don't believe any use the NAOrganic pads, but there is always that possibility *possibly a hybrid might* I don't have a catalog to look it up, but the info is out there...

One other quick note - usually squeals and squeaks come from improper turning of the rotors or not lubing a slide pin on the caliper causing a pad to glaze quickly... It's more installer error than anything...
The aftermarket specs NAO or ceramic for newer cars. Lexus says they use softer pads on the IS/GS/LS.

I'll also say Bendix also makes a good pad - except for their SUV line. My neighbor usually takes her car into a brake/tire shop she's used for years and they've always put in Bendix until now. I was able to get them easily locally too - the beater van loved the MKD576 semi-mets.
Old 03-18-09, 09:43 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

The local Autozone had their shipment come in, and I've noticed that the Duralast and Valucraft friction in their crate was made in India and China.
Really? Ill have to check into that, cause they always advertise how their stuff is made in America. I always try to buy American made stuff if i can, except for cars. DOnt have alot against american cars, I just prefer Honda and Toyota products.
Old 03-18-09, 11:12 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Really? Ill have to check into that, cause they always advertise how their stuff is made in America. I always try to buy American made stuff if i can, except for cars. DOnt have alot against american cars, I just prefer Honda and Toyota products.
I believe Bendix does make friction in the US still, but good luck finding American-made rotors and drums.

AC Delco is Raybestos made to spec.
Old 03-18-09, 10:56 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just use simple oem lexus/toyota pads on my ES, and i used oem toyotas on my camry
no complaints on performance, price, durability, noise, etc

get the oem pads from the vendor here, sewell lexus, as they have good prices.