Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

HELP;Very Confused

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-09, 09:35 PM
NYC-ES300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP;Very Confused

First of all, I apologize for not doing any search
Well, I just bought 1999 ES300/with 122,000k from a friend of mine.

1.This car has history of numerous times of Throttle Induction Service.
(Dealer States "Vehicle has 2 Throttle body plates,
Second Plate Still had some build up")

Most of times, They only perform on 1st Throttle plate only.

2.Spark plugs has not been changed at 90k service.
(Which Lexus Dealer tells me that you do not need
to replace untill 150,000miles)

3.CAT Converter has been changed at 100,000k miles*

4.Accelerator is very sticky during the first take off, also driving.
(each and everytime when I take off, I'd have to tap it so many
times to get it rollin smoothly.)

5.The car Drives very rough. Not idling, feels rough.

6.Plus, I have Brakes+Tires+oils+all the lil maintenance required. -_-

Ok. So . I've got 2nd Throttle body plates Cleaned. But sticky pedal comes back after 500miles. Since the vehicle had numerous Throttle Induction service done. Obviously, It builds up a lot of carbon and it may have killed CAT converter? Or could it be a SPARKPLUGS thats effecting all?
Just...What exactly is my solution to keep this car a normal condition?
please...help me....
I've just got off of worst Volkswagen GTI to a sophisticated lexus...

Thanks for reading guys.
Old 04-05-09, 09:41 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Change your spark plugs first, see if that helps. Clean your MAF sensor with contact cleaner, and your throttle body with Throttle body cleaner. Roughly 10 bux all together from strauss auto.
Old 04-06-09, 07:28 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

150,000 on the spark plugs they are out of their mind... you are already past the longest life spark plugs I know of, which is the iridiums, which max out at 120k miles, but IIRC, in '99, they were platinum plugs, which called for replacement every 60k miles... Ya gotta figure those plugs are 10 years old... at that age, you should go ahead and do ignition wires as well... In all honesty, I believe that will solve most, if not all of your drivability problems... Please do not pay them for another throttle body cleaning - there are very few times when that actually solves a problem, instead it is used as preventative maintenance and to help increase fuel economy, which it rarely does there either.

Being that the vehicle seems to run ok for a little while after their service, I would theorize that the cleaners they are using are making it into the combustion chamber and cleaning the spark plugs a little bit as well - enough to make them fire ok for a while, and then they get carbon build up again...

Whats funny about your statement, is that the Lexus 3.0 Liter V6 is actually a very tame, easy to work on engine - it is for the most part, the same 3.0 V6 that has come in every V6 Camry for a long long time... It sounds like you might have someone guessing at your problems. Most likely the check engine light is not on, else they would probably be more accurate at diagnosing your problem. It is quite sad that many technicians are lost without the on board computer to tell them what is wrong...

Keep in mind that there are other potential issues here, a faulty EGR system can cause similar issues, a faulty mass air flow sensor as well, and there are more. One thing you should always do before trying to troubleshoot is to make sure the rest of the maintenance is up to par. I can't fault you for that because Lexus outright lied to you by telling you that the OEM spark plugs are good for 150k miles... that is simply wrong.

Start with replacing spark plugs and wires and report back. Or take it somewhere else and have someone else look at it...