Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

'98 GS 400 starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-02, 06:25 AM
rvelez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 GS 400 starting problem

Can anyone shed some light on this please? On my '98 GS400, I've been having problems starting the car. It seems to have something to do with the ignition system. I've had the car's complete electrical system checked and it proved okay both times. My Lexus dealership said that they strongly felt it was the ignition module and I okayed them to replace it a couple of weeks ago (at my expense of $1200.00). Well, guess what, that was not the problem and it is currently back with them being looked at again. Maybe I got some bad pins in the module itself. Anyone have anything similar happen to your car? Thanks.
Old 03-12-02, 09:45 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

try resetting the ECU, maybe that might help

ShOwGS
Old 03-12-02, 09:49 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you be a bit more specific on what exactly happens when you turn the key?
Old 03-12-02, 10:59 AM
rvelez
Driver School Candidate

Hi: What happens is when I insert the key, it actually turns in the ignition itself, all the dash lights come on, etc., but the car does not start (does not even turn over), almost as if the starter is bad or alternator. After jiggling the key inside the ignition a bit, it will usually start shortly thereafter. Then again, at other times (especially after the car has been running a while), sometimes there is no issue with the ignition. Hope this helps. Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I'll try anything at this juncture.

Raul
Old 03-12-02, 02:05 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

rvelez,

It sounds like the transmitter in the key is going, since the 98+ GS's transmit a code to the ignition before it starts. Does this happen on all the keys to the car or on just one set? Also if you have speedpass on your keychain it can interfere with the transmitting of the code from the key to the ignition. Keep us updated
Old 03-12-02, 02:22 PM
rvelez
Driver School Candidate

Hi: Thanks for the response and suggestions. It actually is happening to all three of my keys (the last one being a brand new key from when Lexus installed a new ignition module). What is "speedpass". I have not heard of that term yet. Hey, nice to hear a fellow GS man with the Borla exhaust system - isn't it awesome! Take care...

Raul
Old 03-13-02, 08:41 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Let us know if u get it fixed or not, IM curious as to what the problem really is

ShOwGS
Old 03-13-02, 08:47 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Raul,

Speedpass is for Mobil and Exxon gas, instead of paying with a credit card, you just swipe it by a receiver since it has a built in transmitter. www.speedpass.com The transmitter has been known to interfere with the engine immobilizer from time to time, that was why I asked. I am clueless as to what the problem could be, but do keep us all updated on what happens. As far as the Borla exhaust, I love it
Old 03-13-02, 08:52 PM
rvelez
Driver School Candidate

Hey Team: Thanks for the inquiries and suggestions. I was at the dealership earlier today and they feel that when they coded my keys for the new ignition module they installed the last time they had the car, that somehow the keys were not coded correctly (j-u-s-t a tad off somehow) and that could very well likely be causing the car to act up intermittingly. I sense they feel real bad about it because they also said that "coincidentally" my starter is starting to fail, so they are going to install a brand new one gratis for me - this way I don't have to run at least the starter through my third party warranty company and not have to spend anything on my deductible. Can you say: "We messed up Mr. Velez". CIAO
Old 03-29-02, 05:02 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

There is a thread in the SC forum you may want to check out. I'm having the same problem now. I'll post the link with an edit. Let me know how it turns out.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...1&pagenumber=2

I don't have the transponder and that may very well be, also if they are replacing your starter anyways, that will correct any contact problems. Good thing too, w/ the v8, that thing is hidden under the intake manifold.

Last edited by awj; 03-29-02 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-31-02, 07:41 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Originally posted by rvelez
Hey Team: Thanks for the inquiries and suggestions. I was at the dealership earlier today and they feel that when they coded my keys for the new ignition module they installed the last time they had the car, that somehow the keys were not coded correctly (j-u-s-t a tad off somehow) and that could very well likely be causing the car to act up intermittingly. I sense they feel real bad about it because they also said that "coincidentally" my starter is starting to fail, so they are going to install a brand new one gratis for me - this way I don't have to run at least the starter through my third party warranty company and not have to spend anything on my deductible. Can you say: "We messed up Mr. Velez". CIAO

I have never heard of "just a tad off" when recoding keys. I still think you have an imobbilzer problem. Next time it happens look to see if your security light is flashing while the key is in the ignition. That means the engine ecu did not reconize the code. Yes, it may be a speed pass, or another key. Any other keys on your ring with an imobilizer chip?????? Ford keys are common for this!

DD
Old 04-01-02, 06:41 AM
rvelez
Driver School Candidate

DD: Thanks for the post. What eventually happened in the end is that they did replace my starter as a goodwill gesture (no cost to me) and did rekey the iginition module (they said it took them several hours to do this part as well). I've had the car now for about 2 weeks with no re-occurrence of the original problem. It seems they may have found the solution (finally). When the dealership called me about a week later to do a survey, in a nice way, I let them have it about my dissatisfaction and inconvenience they put me through. For my troubles, I get a free complete detail package (inside and out) that will take them all day to do. So, all in all, not too bad. Safe driving....

rvelez
Old 04-03-02, 05:43 PM
JYOO

I knw it couldnt of been an engine problem. Its a Lexus
Old 04-03-02, 07:37 PM
rvelez
Driver School Candidate

Hello: You're right - it's a Lexus. I noticed that you and I have the same model. Mine's also a '98 GS400, black exterior with the Lexus 17" chromes, saddle interior with nav system, Borla exhaust. Have a question for you. I still don't know what the down buttons on the steering wheel do or what the ECT-PWR button does to the car when engaged. Can you explain it to me please? Thanks.

Raul
Old 04-04-02, 01:37 PM
JYOO

Down button is to shift down when you are in manual mode. Put your car in manual mode when you are stopped, youll notice a 5 in your dash, then push down until it goes down to 2. It doesnt go down to 1 cuz it automatically shifts from 1-2 anyways. And power button is just that, it gives u more power . Actually it just redlines higher and shifts firmer...try it!