Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

How can you tell what oil was used on a used car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-09, 08:26 PM
LexFather

Question How can you tell what oil was used on a used car?

Bought a car recently and it occurred to me that I would like to know what oil was used. I know I can send an oil sample to Amsol but can they tell me what the brand is?

Is there a way I can tell if its synthetic or conventional? Any help is appreciated!
Old 04-14-09, 11:49 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Bought a car recently and it occurred to me that I would like to know what oil was used. I know I can send an oil sample to Amsol but can they tell me what the brand is?

Is there a way I can tell if its synthetic or conventional? Any help is appreciated!
An oil analysis will tell you some specs about the oil you currently have. But I'm not sure what you are going to accomplish.
You won't be able to find out anything about previous oil changes and regardless, it won't make one lick of difference. If you're concerned about engine performance, then you should do some engine analysis not oil analysis.. It's like asking what gas was used betwen miles 100-500 or what were the first set of tires or brake pads used.
Plus you're paying quite a bit for that information.

If you're worried about the oil, save the money you would have spent on the oil analysis, and use it to put in your oil of choice, or myriad of oil additive treatments (e.g. auto-rx/seafoam).
Unless your particular engine is prone to sludge issues, even if the previous owner used the cheapest oil available, and changed it infrequently, you will not have any lasting damage, given today's modern oils. And if they were the type that did absolutely zero maintenance for 60k miles, you probably have other problems with your car to worry about.
Old 04-16-09, 09:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by raytseng
An oil analysis will tell you some specs about the oil you currently have. But I'm not sure what you are going to accomplish.
You won't be able to find out anything about previous oil changes and regardless, it won't make one lick of difference. If you're concerned about engine performance, then you should do some engine analysis not oil analysis.. It's like asking what gas was used betwen miles 100-500 or what were the first set of tires or brake pads used.
Plus you're paying quite a bit for that information.

If you're worried about the oil, save the money you would have spent on the oil analysis, and use it to put in your oil of choice, or myriad of oil additive treatments (e.g. auto-rx/seafoam).
Unless your particular engine is prone to sludge issues, even if the previous owner used the cheapest oil available, and changed it infrequently, you will not have any lasting damage, given today's modern oils. And if they were the type that did absolutely zero maintenance for 60k miles, you probably have other problems with your car to worry about.
Thank you!!!!!!
Old 04-19-09, 01:45 AM
CallmeHoku
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the car was brand new and came from lexus should be non-synthetic. Mines is non-synthetic, idk which brand though.