Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

question about crank...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 02:54 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default question about crank...

I have 2004 LS430 w/ approx 75k miles... Recently it takes longer to start the car. After driving the car, restarting right away is non-issue. Usually I crank bout 2 secs and car starts, now I crank bout 4-5 secs. Doesn't make any weird noises, just takes longer time. BTW, I am using smart Key. Any ideas? Battery or starter or fuel line? Any ideas? Is this kind of common for 04 LS?
Old 07-20-09, 04:09 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

battery is starting to get weak... have it tested...

batteries are curious animals... one day they are fine and starting the car, and the next morning you wake up to find it completely dead...

essentially, the cranking amperage of the battery starts getting weaker from day 1, and eventually gets to the point where it doesn't turn the starter as fast anymore, so it takes longer for the car to start...
Old 07-20-09, 07:08 AM
dugw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=2

i am no mechanic but i bought two of these a couple years back and it was a great investment. especially if you have something you don't drive much during the winter. i think it prolongs the life of a battery. i don't think it will help a bad battery though.
Old 07-20-09, 12:45 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

The throttle bodies on these cars are also known to cake up with crap and cause the car to start slower than normal. If youre in any way mechanically inclined, you can take the plastic intake off and clean the throttle plate and bore. And id have to battery checked out too, as stated above.
Old 07-20-09, 08:37 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

so most of you guys think it's the battery, i need to go get it tested then...
Old 07-27-09, 01:51 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

replaced the battery, got little better for few days... today it was slow again... bout 6 sec for crank...
Old 07-30-09, 04:44 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Get a decent Digital Mulitimeter. Take voltage when the car is cranking. The voltage is suppose to be at least 10V. If it's any lower than 10V, you have a battery drain problem. Also, it also depends on the weather, if it's freaking cold then it is going to take a long time to start.
Old 07-31-09, 07:51 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Get a decent Digital Mulitimeter. Take voltage when the car is cranking. The voltage is suppose to be at least 10V. If it's any lower than 10V, you have a battery drain problem. Also, it also depends on the weather, if it's freaking cold then it is going to take a long time to start.
thanks for your input... but the weather is hot (since it's summer). I don't think it's a drain problem, just got new batteries, and never had those type of problems before, unless you think it's common for 04 LS with 75k, than maybe it could be related... I guess I have to take it to the dealer, since wifey seems concerned that she might be stuck somewhere, unable to start the car... Man I hope they don't screw me over... u think they will charge me to diagnose the problem.. If i know what the problem is for sure, my brother-in-law can fix it, but he's just uncertain exactly what the problem is.

Last edited by KILLERGS4; 07-31-09 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-31-09, 08:06 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Possible your fuel pump crap out on you. The very first 2004 LS production has fuel pump recall,but some of them not fall under the recall.
Old 07-31-09, 08:49 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

If you suspect that the fuel pump is the problem then you can easily determine by:
1. Pop the fuel door, open the gas cap put your ears there. Then ask someone to go inside and turn the car to Key On Engine Off. And you will listen to see if the pump is working. If you hear a whinning noise or some type of noise to prove that the pump is working, then it's not the pump.
2. Before starting the car, turn the key to Key On Engine Off, then wait for a while like a minute, then crank. If it starts right up, you got a weak fuel pump.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-01-09, 02:19 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You state that the car take longer to start when the car has been sitting for awhile. Does the car sound like it is cranking at a "normal speed"? Or does it sound like it is cranking slower than normal? This is important, if it sounds like it is turning over at a normal speed, the battery is probably ok (but it is still a good idea to check the battery).

If the car turns over at a normal speed, chances are your fuel pressure is bleeding off while the car sits. There is a check valve in the fuel pressure regulator that is designed to hold fuel pressure in the fuel rail when the engine is not running. If the check valve developes a slow leak, the fuel pressure will bleed back into the tank. When you try to start a car that has no pressure in the rail, you have to wait till pressure builds up in the rail before it will start. If you re-start a car that has been recently shut down, (still has pressure in the rail) it will start normally.

A fuel injector could also be leaking, but this would cause other problems and since you have not stated any other symptoms, this is probably not the case.

It appears that Toyota did not deem it necessary to include a fuel pressure check port, you need a pressure gauge with the appropriate fittings (which of course, only a well equiped shop would have) to check. Keep in mind that if the check valve is leaking, it will not be a external leak. It will be leaking back into the fuel tank.

Last edited by GEORGE_JET; 08-01-09 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-05-09, 04:37 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

was planning on taking the car in today, but was starting Ok today... some times it starts good, and sometimes it's slow. I definitely want to take it when it's slow, so they know what I'm talking about. As for as the sound, sounds normal, just takes longer to start (sometimes). Maybe this problem will go away? maybe not... Maybe bad batch of gasoline? Is that even possible?
Old 08-18-09, 02:47 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
If you suspect that the fuel pump is the problem then you can easily determine by:
1. Pop the fuel door, open the gas cap put your ears there. Then ask someone to go inside and turn the car to Key On Engine Off. And you will listen to see if the pump is working. If you hear a whinning noise or some type of noise to prove that the pump is working, then it's not the pump.
2. Before starting the car, turn the key to Key On Engine Off, then wait for a while like a minute, then crank. If it starts right up, you got a weak fuel pump.

Hope that helps.
My bro-in-law thinks it fuel pump...

so you want me to listen (with fuel door open) and if there is no sound, it problem with fuel pump?
and if i hear any noise coming inside the fuel door, then it's not fuel pump.

how about fuel pump relay (this is much cheaper part vs fuel pump over 300 bucks)
Old 10-25-09, 10:11 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Default update...

got car diagnosed at dealership and they said 100% it's fuel pump. So I order the fuel pump and had my bro replace it. The car still starts kinda slow 4-5 sec to start, maybe small improvement than before (sounds little bit stronger, or it might be my imagination). Recently i was unable to start my car, but I was able to run A/C and all light came on... so I popped the hood and played with battery terminal, I heard like a spark, sure enough the car was able to start. Is it possible the SLOW CRANK is due to bad/worn battery terminal??? I wonder if this is possibility??
Old 10-25-09, 10:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,058 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
got car diagnosed at dealership and they said 100% it's fuel pump. So I order the fuel pump and had my bro replace it. The car still starts kinda slow 4-5 sec to start, maybe small improvement than before (sounds little bit stronger, or it might be my imagination). Recently i was unable to start my car, but I was able to run A/C and all light came on... so I popped the hood and played with battery terminal, I heard like a spark, sure enough the car was able to start. Is it possible the SLOW CRANK is due to bad/worn battery terminal??? I wonder if this is possibility??
Yes. Loose battery terminals definitely make for slow/no start conditions.

Quick Reply: question about crank...