Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

How do you drain and re-fill the differential gear??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-02, 02:22 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you drain and re-fill the differential gear??

my car is approaching 30k
From what I understand, here is what I have to do, if someone would correct me:

- Lift the car up, open the drain plug on the diff, drain the oil.
(do I have to use the pump to suck the oil out?)

- reinstall the drain plug, open "another plug"?? use a small pump to pump in the new oil in?

is that correct? anyone? how many quart do I need, 1?

Anh
Old 04-22-02, 02:47 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See if you can persuade Sasha to scan and post it from his repair service manuals.
Old 04-22-02, 02:56 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default No reason

To my knowledge there is absolutely no reason to drain you diff'l lubricant, the lubricant supplied at the factory DOES NOT "WEAR" OUT !!

The only exception to this might be if it has become overheated or you want to check the lubricant for metal "filings". Just draining and replacement this lubricant without have a laboratory check the drained lubricant is useless and a waste of money.
Old 04-22-02, 03:01 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default Re: No reason

Originally posted by wwest
To my knowledge there is absolutely no reason to drain you diff'l lubricant, the lubricant supplied at the factory DOES NOT "WEAR" OUT !!

The only exception to this might be if it has become overheated or you want to check the lubricant for metal "filings". Just draining and replacement this lubricant without have a laboratory check the drained lubricant is useless and a waste of money.

Somehow, I just knew he was gonna say that.

I think what you consider a "waste", the rest of us call "cheap insurance".
Old 04-22-02, 05:15 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default lay odds

I would be willing to lay odds that more diff'l failures are due to Lexus "gofers" not doing their job correctly (loose, or no drain plugs, wrong lubricant, etc) than failures from using the original lubricant forever just as the manufacturer intended.

By the way that Alaska Airlines Jet that went down in the pacific a few years ago was apparently due to a switch in the jackscrew lubricant. Both lubricants were approved by Boeing but were found to be incompatible when mixed.
Old 04-22-02, 10:24 PM
fasthuh
Lead Lap

BananaGS ,

I have no exact tool sizes and exact quarts needed, but when you drain your diff, just remove the drain plug and the filler hole, you also can blow some air in the filler hole for faster drainage.

Some Lexus dealers don't sell the 90w differential fluid because they have them in barrells but you might be able to find it around your area. Good luck.
Old 04-23-02, 07:11 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

thanks. I remember seeing one of the item in 30K service is changing diffrential oil. i got to double check my manual now. hee hee.
Old 04-23-02, 07:44 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default 90W ???

Are you sure?

That's what I would have put in my 60 Ford or even 67 Mustang.

Most manufacturers went to lighter weight some years ago now in order to increase MPG rating.
Old 04-23-02, 09:24 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Don't know about the GS but yes the first generation LS uses 85W-90.
Old 04-23-02, 10:37 PM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

OK, I just had my TRD LSD installed and you have 2 plugs on the diff. 1 on the bottom and 1 on the side, aaahhh bottom for draining and side for filling. Draining is easy, it's the filling that's hard or kind of tricky. I had my diff. on the ground when I filled it. But if you have a pump to fill the diff. then your going to have a very easy time.
As for the fluid, I used Redline 75W90 synthetic. It took a little over 2 quarts.
If you don't have an LSD, and are considering getting one later you might want to wait and change the oil all one time, if not this should be just as easy as changing your oil...

Aloha
Old 07-29-02, 01:45 PM
rybikowsky
Driver

if you are that challenged,take it to a dealer
Old 07-31-02, 07:56 PM
markpaco
Rookie

Default Re: No reason

Originally posted by wwest

I've changed the diff oil in hundreds toyotas (no joke) and they do eventually breakdown. You can tell it is bad when (other than the obvious) it is foamy.
Old 08-01-02, 08:18 PM
black sc
Pole Position

90W is what the manual specifies but, I just use regular 75-90 in mine. Synthetic or no synthetic is up to you but, the lighter weight should be okay. The heavier 90 diff. oil is actually cheaper than the 75-90 or 85-90.. Whatever you do, make sure it is for LSD. You can buy it at any parts store Do it every 30K

Last edited by black sc; 08-01-02 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-01-02, 08:42 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

This is a pretty easy task for you to do yourself. The biggest trick on the refill is to remove the link that essentially blocks you from being able to lift the bottle up to drain it into the fill hole. Once you loosen or remove it it's a piece of cake.

I've been using 85W140 since that's supposedly what TRD recommends for the TRD LSD.
Old 08-21-02, 01:15 PM
rybikowsky
Driver

I changed mine because I wanted to use mobile syn gear oil.I use it in everything on the farm.Buy yourself one of those hand operated suction pumps they look like a big siringe.Use it to install the new fluid.Find a spot that you can back up to that has a drop off.Than you still have a level car and you can get to the filler and drain plug.After draining use your hand pump to fill the rear.When oil starts running out of the fill hole,you have enough oil.check with your finger to make sure it is full,put back plug and you are good to go.Michael

Quick Reply: How do you drain and re-fill the differential gear??