Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Winterizing Your Car 101

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-09, 03:49 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing Your Car 101

Well, this winter I'll be storing two cars at my uncle's company's warehouse: the IS F and the new addition, the R8. While I've bought a set of winter tires for the R8, I'll only be taking it when weather permits and during those truly frigid months such as January and February, it will be in storage. Here is what you'll need:

- A can of fuel stabilizer. My personal favorite is Sta-Bil, but some use a combination of 100LL and Sta-Bil - never tried it myself.
- A full tank of gas.
- A large blue tarp.
- A good, breathable car cover.
- Some mineral wool if you're really ****.

1. You'll want to get a full tank of gas of the highest octane fuel possible. Fill it right to the top and add in your can of fuel stabilizer. I typically choose a gas station that is closest to where I am storing the car, as 5 minutes is basically all you need to get the stabilizer in all of the nooks and cranies of the fuel tank and the fuel lines. Adding fuel stabilizer will prevent condensation from forming inside the fuel tank and spoiling the fuel. Low-octane fuel typically deteriorates after 3 weeks, so this is why it is very important to add the stabilizer to a fresh tank of gas, or else it won't work.

2. Lay the tarp down flat wherever you're storing the car. The tarp will seperate your car from the pavement, as concrete is notorious for sucking up moisture. This will prevent your tires from drying out and your underbelly from rusting. It is imperative to combine the tarp with a good, breathable car cover.

3. Prior to covering your car you will want to change the oil. Moisture is your enemy when storing the car and old oil typically traps moisture inside the block and will over time cause internal components to rust. You want fresh oil in your car when it goes into storage and when it comes out of it. Some people add an additive such as Z-Max to keep the block thoroughly lubricated during the winter... but such methods are relatively unproven. Also, inflate your tires to the maximum pressure recommended by the tire's manufacturer (typically 51-60 psi).

4. Now you don't have to do this as some consider it more of a hassle than anything else, but you will want to cover any openings large enough to harbor vermins such as rodents. I typically stuff my intake and exhaust with mineral wool, which can be found at any hardware store basically. Rodents will not be able to eat through the mineral wool, as opposed to if you stuff the holes with rags like some people do. Take note of where you put the wool (I take pictures) so that you don't forget any when you start the car up every other week.

5. For those of you who are very ****, here'S a neat little trick. When I took delivery of the car I requested to keep all of the plastic that covers the interior of the car such as the seats and the dash. Every time I winterize the car I put the plastics back on in order to prevent dust from getting on the seats over the winter. The warehouse it is stored in is a partically dusty environment and I was afraid some dust could get in through the ducts.

6. Cover the car with a high quality car cover made from a material that breathes. This will prevent moisture from getting trapped between the cover and the car, preventing premature corrosion. Make sure that it is not too snug and not too loose. Give the car a wash before you cover it... it will prevent you from scratching the finish when you remove and put back on the cover when you start it.

7. You may use a battery tender or trickle charger. I personally do not. Instead, I start the car once every two weeks and allow it to come to operating temperature whilst varying the revs, never going above 3500 rpm. This typically takes 5-10 minutes at most. I typically do this with the hood open so that moisture does not get trapped inside the engine bay. I let the engine cool back down to room temp before closing the hood. If weather permits, it is best to drive the car in order to further prevents flat spots. Make sure to inflate the tires back to the recommended pressure before driving it around, though. Also, make sure to remove any mineral wool you might've stuffed in any intakes or ducts. The 5-10 minutes of running at idle typically takes care of any parasitic losses the battery might've suffered whilst the car was left unoperated. Driving the car around will also prevent the suspension from bottoming out... but today's systems are less prone to that. What you can do is rock the car back and forth a bit... this will both put the suspension system to work and keep the fuel thoroughly homogeneus.

8. When summer comes around, simply change the oil and put the pressure back to the recommended psi, and you're good to go. I typically have a full inspection done at the dealership to make sure nothing was broken or anything over the winter. It costs about $200 and is well worth it, I think.

That's pretty much it.

If you think I've forgotten something or I'm doing something wrong, feel free to comment. I've been doing this for years, with no problems whatsoever.
Old 10-05-09, 11:09 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent advice!
Old 10-05-09, 02:47 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheMole
Excellent advice!
+1....
Old 10-07-09, 02:24 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice write up..
Old 10-07-09, 02:25 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Thanks. I was expecting more response but I guess most people don't come from states where it is necessary to store the car for the winter.
Old 10-07-09, 02:27 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

I'm sure this will be more popular when Nov. and Dec. roll around. This should be a sticky!
Old 10-12-09, 02:45 AM
SGMIS3
Pole Position

im in for some pics while ur doing it (of your R8) =P
Old 10-12-09, 10:14 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by IS350ty
im in for some pics while ur doing it (of your R8) =P
The R8 is not being winterized, and I will try to get some pics up when I put the IS F into storage for the winter, which by the looks of things should be fairly soon.
Old 10-15-09, 05:20 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1, great write up, I'm saving it if I ever put my SC up for hibernation!
Old 12-02-09, 05:19 PM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Winter storage

I plan to store my GS in my garage for 3 months during the winter while I'm away, should I also put the car on jacks to prevent flat spots on the tires? What about the battery--do I need to disconnect the terminals to prevent drainage?

Since the car is being stored in the garage, is the car cover really necessary? Thanks.
Old 12-02-09, 05:43 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by LexusPia
I plan to store my GS in my garage for 3 months during the winter while I'm away, should I also put the car on jacks to prevent flat spots on the tires? What about the battery--do I need to disconnect the terminals to prevent drainage?

Since the car is being stored in the garage, is the car cover really necessary? Thanks.
I was just about to bump this thread! Thanks for doing it for me.

I would not put the car on jacks for a prolonged period of time as many people have told me that it may harm your suspension. As for the car cover, I find it to be necessary. Dust will accumulate on your car and it can cause swirling.

Now, the battery is a toughy. I personally would not deconnect it as you will lose everything you have pre-programmed in your car. If you absolutely must, use a battery tender... shouldn't cost you more than $100. I know for a fact that my car has no parasitic losses so I don't bother disconnecting the battery or using a battery tender.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! Happy winterizing.
Old 12-02-09, 08:50 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use a ctech charger on my show car and no problems it only charges when the battery needs it. top of the line
Old 12-03-09, 10:15 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I was just about to bump this thread! Thanks for doing it for me.

I would not put the car on jacks for a prolonged period of time as many people have told me that it may harm your suspension. As for the car cover, I find it to be necessary. Dust will accumulate on your car and it can cause swirling.

Now, the battery is a toughy. I personally would not deconnect it as you will lose everything you have pre-programmed in your car. If you absolutely must, use a battery tender... shouldn't cost you more than $100. I know for a fact that my car has no parasitic losses so I don't bother disconnecting the battery or using a battery tender.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! Happy winterizing.
I was talking to a tire shop last month and the technician there said prolonged storage like 2 months or more could possibly cause permanent flat-spot on the tires. Since I just paid over $1000 on a brand new set of Michelins, I sure don't want to ruin them with permanent flat spots. You mentioned you pumped the tires to the max pressure allowable when storing your vehicle. Have you ever had flat spotting on your tires?

You mentioned getting the car jacked up could possibly cause suspension damage. Can you provide more details on that like what type of damage? My original thought was to jack it up just high enough so the tire barely touches the floor instead of a few inches off the floor--not sure whether that would alleviate the suspension problem you mentioned. Your thoughts?
Old 12-03-09, 12:27 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by LexusPia
I was talking to a tire shop last month and the technician there said prolonged storage like 2 months or more could possibly cause permanent flat-spot on the tires. Since I just paid over $1000 on a brand new set of Michelins, I sure don't want to ruin them with permanent flat spots. You mentioned you pumped the tires to the max pressure allowable when storing your vehicle. Have you ever had flat spotting on your tires?

You mentioned getting the car jacked up could possibly cause suspension damage. Can you provide more details on that like what type of damage? My original thought was to jack it up just high enough so the tire barely touches the floor instead of a few inches off the floor--not sure whether that would alleviate the suspension problem you mentioned. Your thoughts?
In two-months' time you should be able to have moved your car around or driven it. Inflating to the maximum pressure written on the tire will help prevent flat spots from forming in the meantime. I've never had any problems with flatspotting and I've been using this method for years.

As for using jacks to just relieve the weight off from the tires, you can do that. Just don't have the car up in the air, as that may cause the suspension to bottom out especially if you're not going to be touching it at all during the whole winter. There are lift points which you can use to lift the car from the suspension but this is extremely difficult to do with a hydraulic jack and a jackstand. Your best bet is to just drive the car around on a sunny Sunday to prevent flatspots. I mean, I have easy access to where I store my car so it isn't a problem for me to just go by and nudge the car a bit for a few seconds to make the suspension work, or move it around. I don't know what your situation is to keep in mind my guide is more-so for someone who has easy access to where the car is being stored.