Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

has anybody changed the battery terminal on your Lexus???

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-09, 10:15 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default has anybody changed the battery terminal on your Lexus???

I have slow crank problem (2004 LS430). Initially i thought it was fuel pump, so I replaced it (that was dealer diagnoses). But the problem still remains. Have any of you guys replace the battery terminal due to slow crank?? Any input would be appreciated.
Old 10-26-09, 04:56 PM
curepunx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Does it occur when at a low amount of fuel? or at all levels of fuel in the tank? I used to have that problem in my 90 LS and i realized it was two things, bad battery contacts (changed the terminals) and the fuel delivery, so I changed the fuel filter and the inserted some fuel injection cleaner before filling up the tank. (The injectors were a bit clogged)

Also, make sure not to let the gas level get too low. Bad for the car. IMHO

Anyway, try these simple things and go from there. Goodluck!
Old 10-26-09, 09:23 PM
SEXY 400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a slow crank problem on my 1992 SC400. Found out from my grandpa who builds cars was a weak battery not holding charge. I guess if more than one cell section is bad from the battery it has a hard time holding and maintaining a charge. I tested this with a simple battery tester that you can get at ANY auto parts store for under 10 bucks. "Cranking Amps" drop and therefore causing slowing crank before start. I replaced the battery and my car cranks quickly and starts up really fast again even when it's COLD. It's always good to replace the battery terminals to keep the current optimal. Hope this helps.

-Nick
Old 10-26-09, 11:28 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

I do have a new battery, so I'm left thinking it's the problem with the battery terminal. The very first thing i did for slow crank was to replace the battery, second I replace the fuel pump.... I'm now thinking all the above was unnecessary since the problem still remains. What a waste of money. My brother (who is mechanic) thinks it an issues with my smart key, he thinks I should get it reprogrammed... he thinks since I carry both my Benz Key and Lex Key, it's causing some interference. I dont think thats it (since I've been carrying both keys for years now and never had problem til now), dont want to waste any more money than I already have..
Old 10-27-09, 12:21 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

there are only two things that determine how fast the engine actually turns over...

battery voltage/amperage and the starter...

now, there are things that cause it to take longer to start, but actually slow cranking is only a battery/starter issue... and possibly corroded wiring...

So, when you turn the key, does the engine spin fast or slow? if it spins fast and just takes a longer time to start than you think it should, it probably isn't a big deal, and just live with it... if it spins slow, then battery is weak (just because something is new doesn't mean its good), you have a bad connection somewhere (think battery terminals, ground cables, etc), or your starter is going bad and is not as strong as it once was...
Old 10-27-09, 11:47 PM
SEXY 400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
there are only two things that determine how fast the engine actually turns over...

battery voltage/amperage and the starter...

now, there are things that cause it to take longer to start, but actually slow cranking is only a battery/starter issue... and possibly corroded wiring...

So, when you turn the key, does the engine spin fast or slow? if it spins fast and just takes a longer time to start than you think it should, it probably isn't a big deal, and just live with it... if it spins slow, then battery is weak (just because something is new doesn't mean its good), you have a bad connection somewhere (think battery terminals, ground cables, etc), or your starter is going bad and is not as strong as it once was...
Couldn't say it any better! Nice
Old 10-31-09, 12:21 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

any idea how much the part and labor should be on 2004 LS430 Battery Terminal? Is it super simple that I can do myself? thanks
Old 11-22-09, 05:05 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

looks super easy. I'm sure its just 1 or 2 10 mm bolts. should be in trunk tool kit. took me 2 minutes, (no joke) on the LS400.