Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Lucas products????

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 08:21 AM
rdubious23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lucas products????

I am in the process of getting all my fluids together to have all of them flushed....trans, diff, trans, etc. Seems that CL members lean towards Royal Purple, Redline, Amsoil, or Toyota oem. Folks around here and friends of mine swear by Lucas products, but don't see Lucas mentioned on this site.
Does anyone use or have input on their products?

I have a 93SC, just got it. Thanks
Old 11-12-09, 06:34 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Lucas has two good products in my opinion. Their oil stabilizer is great if you have a heavy rig or an older vehicle (and I mean OLD), and their fuel injector cleaner is also dynamite. Their gear oil I have actually used in other applications non-vehicle related. For me, I like Amsoil in my ATF. Castrol Syntec 0W30 as my engine oil, Royal Purple for my gear oil (transfer case and rear differential), but you also can't go wrong with Redline as they cover the same spectrm. Recommend if you haven't visited this site, http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php to do so as it is probably a very good place to read.
Old 11-12-09, 06:16 PM
rdubious23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Lucas has two good products in my opinion. Their oil stabilizer is great if you have a heavy rig or an older vehicle (and I mean OLD), and their fuel injector cleaner is also dynamite. Their gear oil I have actually used in other applications non-vehicle related. For me, I like Amsoil in my ATF. Castrol Syntec 0W30 as my engine oil, Royal Purple for my gear oil (transfer case and rear differential), but you also can't go wrong with Redline as they cover the same spectrm. Recommend if you haven't visited this site, http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php to do so as it is probably a very good place to read.
Thanks, man. I was actually reading thry your threads last night. I think I am going to order the Redline oil, and prolly go down the street to Toyota for the ATF. The Castrol Syntec has served you well?
Old 11-12-09, 11:51 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been semi-pleased with Lucas. I think it's overpriced and it's not worth it in a well-maintained car.
Old 11-14-09, 02:33 AM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've ever tried the gear test, it would seem that lucas oil protection would over a lot of better protection. Unfortunately, conditions behind the oil pump are different. The pressure of the oil pumped through causes lucas oil-stabilized oil to foam and froth up. Studies have been done that shows this. There's a lot of examples of this if you do a google search, but this site has a simple visual of what happens:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
Old 11-14-09, 06:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by rdubious23
Thanks, man. I was actually reading thry your threads last night. I think I am going to order the Redline oil, and prolly go down the street to Toyota for the ATF. The Castrol Syntec has served you well?
Yes, Castrol Syntec, but in 0W30, that's what you might have heard is known as 'German Castrol'. Been using this since Mexico and have no plans to change. Is available at Autozone or Pep Boys.