Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Performing your own maintenance, keeping records, warranty issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-09, 02:50 AM
gandro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Performing your own maintenance, keeping records, warranty issues

I'm planning on getting an 2010 ES 350 and would like to do the routine maintenance myself, especially with the high costs at the dealership.
I've read stories on these boards that Lexus will deny some warranty claims if you do your own work.
I would also like to know how people keep records of what they did, in case a warranty claim was challenged.
People have recommended that you keep a notebook with details of what you did.
The problem is that I prefer to keep all of my records in electronic format (like everything else in my life) in addition to having terrible hand writing.
Just wondering if a handwritten journal is crucial in making a difference in a warranty claim.
Thanks
Old 11-30-09, 12:12 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

It is illegal to deny a warranty claim simply because you did your own maintenance... unless of course whatever the problerm is, was your fault. Best way to keep records in my opinion, would be to document the date/mileage you changed the oil, and keep the receipt for the parts. Its not necessary to have it hand written... I would use the owners manual's maintenance schedule... it has a page for each service. I would fill it out with the date and mileage and note that you did the maintenance yourself. If you have decent documentation, and receipts showing oil and filter purchases, then there is no reason to deny a claim.

You do know that most dealerships are running year round specials for oil changes and such though. Im many places, you can get oil changes for as low as 29.99.
Old 12-02-09, 02:00 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by RTIS250
It is illegal to deny a warranty claim simply because you did your own maintenance... unless of course whatever the problerm is, was your fault. Best way to keep records in my opinion, would be to document the date/mileage you changed the oil, and keep the receipt for the parts. Its not necessary to have it hand written... I would use the owners manual's maintenance schedule... it has a page for each service. I would fill it out with the date and mileage and note that you did the maintenance yourself. If you have decent documentation, and receipts showing oil and filter purchases, then there is no reason to deny a claim.

You do know that most dealerships are running year round specials for oil changes and such though. Im many places, you can get oil changes for as low as 29.99.
After doing my own oil changes, I don't think I can ever give my car to a shop for an oil change. It's just a personal thing, I guess I'm a bit of a perfectionist... I noticed a lot of shops don't check the exact level of oil and often just estimate how much should go in. You also never know what exactly they did and didn't do.
Old 12-02-09, 06:32 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil change at my lexus dealer is 71.95 plus tax, and that is conventional oil, synthetic is extra.

and i called a nearby toyota dealer, they refuse to work on lexus, stating that there technicians are not trained to work on lexus. (crap if you ask me)
Old 12-02-09, 09:35 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi
Oil change at my lexus dealer is 71.95 plus tax, and that is conventional oil, synthetic is extra.

and i called a nearby toyota dealer, they refuse to work on lexus, stating that there technicians are not trained to work on lexus. (crap if you ask me)

and DIY oil change

~$20 for Synthetic
$.50 gasket
$4 OEM Toyota/Lexus oil filter

Total~$24.50

oh the savings!!

but then again u do get donuts at the dealership.. along with coffee, soda you name it
Old 12-03-09, 06:47 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Ouch, 71.95? We use Castrol Syntec blend at least...

Its funny that the local lube shop is qualified to change the oil on a Lexus, but Toyota techs arent? That sucks....
Old 12-04-09, 07:35 PM
EScrow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good place to log your maintenance is at Lexus website https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...cle-summary.do which lets you input your info as well as see what any Lexus dealer has done to the car.

Last edited by EScrow; 12-04-09 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-05-09, 06:06 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
and DIY oil change

~$20 for Synthetic
$.50 gasket
$4 OEM Toyota/Lexus oil filter

Total~$24.50

oh the savings!!

but then again u do get donuts at the dealership.. along with coffee, soda you name it
i definetly change my own oil for that reason,

as for the donuts and coffee etc. not at my lexus dealer,
mine is just another counter at a toyota dealer, same waiting room
Old 12-05-09, 08:22 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by MrBooby
After doing my own oil changes, I don't think I can ever give my car to a shop for an oil change. It's just a personal thing, I guess I'm a bit of a perfectionist... I noticed a lot of shops don't check the exact level of oil and often just estimate how much should go in. You also never know what exactly they did and didn't do.
I feel the same way. I try to do as much DIY maintenance on my car as possible. I don't trust the shops nor, to a great degee even the Lexus techs. I did not even take it in for the free 1000 mile checkup as nothing was wrong with the car. As someone here said earlier, the relentless persuit of perfection stops as soon as the car leaves Japan.

I save all of my reciepts and document my maintenance electroniclly. I note what was done, the date, and the mileage.
Old 12-05-09, 08:35 PM
monkiwrnch
Driver

thats why toyota dealers dont work on lexus vehicle its coz a lexus not a toyota hehehhe plus theres only a few parts on the toyota side that you would be able to use for lexus vehicle,only the metal can type oil filters the new paper type filters dosent fit. most air filter,brake pads,serpentine belts etc. dosent fit either. this is one way Toyota keeps lexus owners to the Lexus Side. or else only toyota tech would have all the work.

Last edited by monkiwrnch; 12-05-09 at 08:36 PM. Reason: spelled wrong
Old 12-06-09, 06:48 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EScrow
A good place to log your maintenance is at Lexus website https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...cle-summary.do which lets you input your info as well as see what any Lexus dealer has done to the car.
I created an account like two years ago and I don't recall having the ability to view what a dealer has done to your car.

Originally Posted by monkiwrnch
thats why toyota dealers dont work on lexus vehicle its coz a lexus not a toyota hehehhe plus theres only a few parts on the toyota side that you would be able to use for lexus vehicle,only the metal can type oil filters the new paper type filters dosent fit. most air filter,brake pads,serpentine belts etc. dosent fit either. this is one way Toyota keeps lexus owners to the Lexus Side. or else only toyota tech would have all the work.
Not entirely true. Before I started doing my own oil changes, I took my car to Toyota for service. I guess it depends on the particular dealership.
Old 12-06-09, 06:54 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Nothing wrong with that at all and it's not about you being a perfectionist. Toyota use to charge me about $75 for an oil change that included synthetic oil. I changed my oil myself last week for $29 which was for synthetic oil & a filter.
Old 12-07-09, 01:50 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Well the cheapest good quality synthetic I've seen is like $20 for 5 quarts at Walmart, I dunno how you guys spend under $30 for the whole process.
Old 12-07-09, 05:14 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

^^ Shopping around I guess. I have all of this winter to find a deal on oil for this coming summer

BTW, for every sort of work done to my car, I've kept a binder with all the receipts in it. My notes also include the date, mileage, type of oil and filter used when changing my oil on my own.