Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Lexus Service TROUBLE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-02, 09:36 AM
Mid Lifer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Lexus Service TROUBLE!

Help, please! I bought a '91 LS400 with 100k miles about 4 weeks ago from a guy who gave every indication of being totally **** about his car and gave me all service records which indicated all service had been done with the exception of no transmission fluid change in about 55k miles. Took car in to dealer (Pohanka Lexus, Chantilly, Virginia) immediately for 90k service. Invoice indicates as follows (in part):
inspect steering linkage
inspect ball joints and dust
road test

As to road test, car went in at 100207 mi. and came out at 107208 mi.
Took road trip to PA (300 mi.) and put about 200 miles local driving on it. On Thursday, noticed oil leak. Dropped by dealer on Friday, service advisor checked and said looked like oil leak but OK to drive 150 round trip that day, then bring in. Drop car Friday morning. This morning (Sunday), another service advisor calls with bad news, to wit:
Rear main seal leaking (that's what I thought) $945
Power steering rack leaking $1118
Oil pan leaking $236
Ball joint has too much play $554 plus $169 for alignment
CV boot slinging grease $653
Rt. rear tail light out (just passed inspection 3 wk ago) $48

Now, three things come to mind:
1) Should any of this have been noticed at 90k service?
2) Would there be symptoms of any of these "problems" other that oil leak?
3) Is Pohanka working hard to pay for brand new service facility that opened the day I went in for 90k service?

Talked with service manager and he said could not check today but will pull record on Monday to see if mechanic made any recommendations on his work order. Seems to me this gives 2 days worth of CYA time but manager says they will do right by me.
Needless to say am VERY unhappy about this development. Will take to 2 other places for check out and estimates, but what are feelings out there about this? Would I be wrong to insist on refund for 90k service if it was never completed as specified? Could all these issues have arisen in 3 weeks/500 mi. on a car that has been garaged, pampered and highway driven all it's life?

Opinions and comments welcome!
Old 05-25-02, 06:22 PM
RPH74
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Default wow!

Sound like you got a raw deal on buying the car, and the dealership may be taking you to the cleaners. $268 for a leaking oil pan? Probably just a $10-15 gasket needing replacement. You took the car in for an oil leak, and they tell you that you need new CV boots? That should have been noticed at 90K service, and if it wasn't the boots will probably still last a while. CV boots can wait unless they are clicking badly, you'll hear it mainly when driving along curves at lower speeds. If you really have a bad rear main seal, that sucks. Definitely get a second opinion.

Chris
Old 05-25-02, 07:43 PM
bobm_photo
Rookie

I think the real issue is that any car with over 100K can have these kind of problems, and that's not Pohanka's fault. Sure, ask for a refund of the 90 K service. What have you got to lose?

And take it to another shop or two for estimates, too. I've had real good experiences over the years with Datsun Dynamics, on Route 7, just east of Reston. The work on Toyota's, but I don't know if they do Lexus.

I think you'll find part of the problem is the cost of Lexus parts, though. Good luck.
Old 05-26-02, 07:05 AM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Get second/third opinion(s)

Hey Dude – Am I missing something or does a 7,000 mile road test seem a little excessive.

“As to road test, car went in at 100207 mi. and came out at 107208 mi.”

Seriously, even though those problems wouldn’t be unreasonable for the mileage, the problem that I’d have would be the credibility of the stealership. You need to go to another dealer asap – I think Pohanka is trying to get into your knickers. At least you’ll find out whether to trust Pohanka or not.
Old 05-28-02, 03:49 AM
Mid Lifer
Driver School Candidate

Ok here's an update.....
Service manager had car rechecked and now says rear main seal and oil pan gasket leaking, need repair. Ball joint play within "normal" parameters. Power steering rack has some "residue", considered normal on car of this age and mileage. CV boots can be fixed by replacing clamps.
This is all very interesting.
Checked oil level after I got car home. Oil is showing about a half quart or so too high (hard to tell exactly, but it is off the measure segment and reads on the wire of the dipstick).
Anyone think that a quart too much oil would cause leaks?
Possible that excess has just been blowing off somewhere inside the engine, giving appearance of "leaks"? Leaking started slow, got worse and now seems to have all but stopped?
I called Lexus Customer Service and they are to get back to me today, May 28, with opinion.
Thanks for your comments.
Oh, by the way, the road test WAS just 1 mile, not 7001 miles as I reported earlier!
Old 05-29-02, 08:15 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Steam wash under the car yourself. If need be, buy a set of ramps, raise the car, take the bottom cover off, spay engine cleaner and wash. drive a few days, check for leaks yourself.
Power steering pump rebuild from Autozone ~$100-$150 change yourself save money on labor.
Oil pan leak for a 100K miles Lexus LS400 seem strange to me. You can change the oil pan gasket at home also. Rear main seal, much of the cost is labor and any garage can do it.
American car oil leak all over the place, yes. Lexus NO. Both of my SC400 are more than 130K miles, no oil pan or trans. leaks. Maybe the green one with 155K has some minor differential leak and that's all.

CV boot can be work by any mechanic also.
half qt. of oil over doesn't make the car leaks oil.
Old 05-29-02, 10:16 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wow..some road test!!!!

Your car went for a road test??? "As to road test, car went in at 100207 mi. and came out at 107208 mi. " That must have been some freaking road test!! 7 thousand miles? WTF
:eek: :eek: Where did they drove it to? California and back? lol
Old 05-29-02, 10:18 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I know it was a mistake....just had to say something just for the hell of it