Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

torque converter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-02, 06:59 PM
Lvangundy

Default torque converter replacement

Is it possible that a transmission service shop will replace just the torque converter on my 1990 LS400?

I visited one place but they wanted to a complete rebuild for $2500! Not what I'm looking for..
Old 05-19-02, 07:21 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Why not get a aftermarket TC and knockout 0.5 sec off your 0-60 at the same time? I believe a aftermarket TC is about $900.

Chu...
Old 05-20-02, 01:31 AM
Lvangundy

Well at the moment I'm trying to cut as many costs as possible, I really need to pay my car off soon, and save the most money. I'd go for it if I had t he cash though. anyone know a price on just the stock convertor? Or a price comparible to a stock one but aftermarket?

It's not really a necessity as my trans runs ok, but could be improved.

thanks
Old 05-20-02, 07:24 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read on the threads that used SC400 Torque converter are selling for $400.

This is per Lex Luthor of SC400 forum.
What a torque converter does is multiply the torque of the engine through hydraulic principles. Stall is the speed to which the engine turns while holding the brakes, before the tyres start to spin, it's the speed at which the converter 'locks' and applies all available engine torque to the input shaft of the transmission. Flash stall is the rpm the engine will reach before the car moves, when you're just taking your foot off the brake and nailing the gas from a stop. Several things can affect the stall speed a converter actually gives you, but the biggest factor is engine torque. More torque, with all other things being equal, will result in more 'stall,' the converter will flash at a higher rpm. A converter can be reworked by playing with stator angles and so forth, to give you more or less stall, but we won't get into how to rework a converter. There are no drawbacks, the 0-60 time on these cars improves dramatically with a nice converter, you'll wish you had installed one sooner. The best out there is the Precision Industries 'Dragon' unit, it is 9.5" (smaller generally equals more stall) and is a completely new casting with anti-baloon plate and the like. Cost is prohibitive, it's a bit under a grand, but it's not a reworked stock core like everyone else's, and if you're in manufacturing, you will understand why it costs so much to develop a completely new unit. You can contact Precision directly at converter.com, or you can buy one from SRT. Installation from Lexus will border on $500, i'm sure you can get a competent local shop to do it for less if you want. One alternative I can provide for you is a local guy here that I know that'll build a reworked core to stall at about 2700-2800rpm for about $300 bucks (no that's not a typo). This is the gentleman that builds the converters for the Performance Factory NYC's low 8-sec Supra.
Old 05-20-02, 12:26 PM
svptwobe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLUSH

Have you tried a transmission flush? I once was told that I needed a TC for a Towncar and someone told me to do a transmission flush. Well $100 was better then $1800 so I had the flush done. I worked like a champ. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-23-02, 10:08 AM
H'sYellowIS300
Driver

VSsc400

You know your trannys pretty well bo you know any one besides toyomoto selling a shift kit for an IS300.

Lvangundy

why do you want to change the conveter? are you having trannie problems. I used to be a trans dyno tech. and normally found that if the convter was bad the fluide would almost be black \ purple. if it is the trans you may have a stuck valve in the valve body. if this is the case you can get a fluid change and try to get the valves to pop free. Pressure in reverse is highest so that is the best place to try. with the car running and in park put foot on brake then give it a little gas and put it in rev. you do not want to give it to much gas just 500 or 600 rpm over idial. if it is a valve this may free it up with out having to drop the valve body. But if you are getting a converter than you whant to go after market and get the benifits.

Hope this helps you out.

300 is a real good price for a re build performance conveter

you may want to look localy and see if there is someone who can re build yours changing a convter is not that hard.
Old 05-23-02, 01:08 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yellow IS. I am not familar with the IS vehicles but since you share most of the components with supra NA (2JZ-GE) you will probably be able to interchange parts. Ask Dan from Lexotic Concepts he own an IS300 and he seems to know his stuff. He is TicalIS300. Good luck
Old 05-24-02, 07:48 AM
H'sYellowIS300
Driver

Thanks VSsc400

It is always helpful to know who knows what about your car. Thanks again