Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Pep Boys trying to rip me off

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-02, 10:14 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pep Boys trying to rip me off

I just need a recharge of my AC since it is real hot. I know an O-ring is cracked which is why the freon is low. When I got the estimate from them they said $850!!! My reply was what the heck is wrong with it. They told me they had to remove the compressor to get to a seal underneath it and then they had to replace the pressure regulator.

First of all there are no seals under the compressor since the two connectors are on top. There are things internal that could go bad but they said they only had to remove the compressor to get to a seal underneath. The pressure regulator is most likely fine and they just wanted to replace it because of the error code.

I hate to be so negative but screw them. I will replace the O-ring I know is bad and just get it recharged somewhere else.

Do you guys have these problems of peope trying to use you at shops alot?
Old 06-02-02, 10:21 AM
RacingAristo

I wouldn't trust Pep Boys. I once took my car there for balance/alignment. The guys over there kept saying why would I screw up my car by lowering it (coilovers by 2~2.5") and murmuring something else. Seriously, the only reason I'd go to Pep Boys is to buy some bolts.
Old 06-02-02, 10:43 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1970

Back in the spring of 1970 I was wondering around a shop in the south bay area while my car was being worked on...

A lady brought her car in and said it wouldn't start relaibly in the mornings. The mechanic did a once over and told her she would need a new alternator and likely a new battery since the alternator hadn't been up to snuff for awhile.

When the mechanic walked away I walked over and told her that cleaning her battery terminals (horribly corroded) would likely accomplished just as much. She called me later and said that it had worked and could she at least buy me dinner.

The clear majority of owners today haven't a clue about any aspects of automotive maintainance or repair. So don't get too mad if someone attempts to rip you off, it's just the way things are today.

Use your anger constructively.
Old 07-29-02, 01:30 PM
rybikowsky
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you stick your head in the mouth of a shark,and than ***** when you get bit.