Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

30K Miles Maintance

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-02 | 06:38 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Default 30K Miles Maintance

Does anyone know what is going to be done on the 30K Miles services?

My dealer want to charge me $680 for that service.... wow.. that is a lot.. for a service.. help..
Old 06-06-02 | 07:02 PM
Drimweaver88
Pole Position

my local Lexus dealer is charging $298.00 for 30k service....LOngo Lexus...
Old 06-06-02 | 07:23 PM
gs300
Driver

umm i think my dearlership is charging me $30 for the 10k service i havent hit the 30k service yet
Old 06-06-02 | 07:24 PM
gs300
Driver

ohh and there gonna lower my car for free cant beat that
Old 06-06-02 | 09:40 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default service

Unless you're using it as a taxi there is NO 10k service interval

My owners manual indicates oil & filter(s) changed at 30k, $50 at the most, what does your manual say?
Old 06-06-02 | 10:43 PM
BadBtsz4u
Lead Lap

Default Re: 30K Miles Maintance

Originally posted by Shinchan
Does anyone know what is going to be done on the 30K Miles services?

My dealer want to charge me $680 for that service.... wow.. that is a lot.. for a service.. help..
Shin, its really not worth it.

Basically its just like an oil change a few other things (im not sure exacatly)and check up.

This is something you can get done for like next to nothing if you know a fair mechanic.

Let me know I may be able to save you from overpaying the dealer for this IMO overpriced unnecessary service.

Mike
Old 06-07-02 | 02:27 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

shinchan, I'm almost embarassed to point this out, but if you'll check your owner's manual supplement (the other big book in the black leather owner's manual portfolio) you'll find a list of what's done with each regular service, plus those additional items done for cars under "special operating conditions".

The 30k service is actually pretty extensive, in my 2001 manual. But not $680 worth. The Longo Lexus rate mentioned by Drimweaver sounds more reasonable for what's being done.

Last edited by mooretorque; 06-07-02 at 02:28 AM.
Old 06-07-02 | 06:29 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Hehehe.. I know its in the service manual what need to be checked.. see... my wife has the car right now and is out of T on a business trip with it... I need to find what is in the manual.

Also, the cheapest I found in MA 3 dealership is $550.
Old 06-07-02 | 06:37 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

WTF.. even in CT they want to charge $550 for that service?

I am going to check my manual.. when wifee gets home tonight. Mike, I might drop you a PM...

Geeze... Luxury car .. w/ fuking service from dealer.. I don't know.. If I don't get it done at the dealership.. It might come back to hunt me when I need to sell the car and present a proper maintenance of the car....

Sht... Why can the Dealer in CA gave great service at $300 and the dealer in New England want an Arm and Leg from you?

P.S.... excuse my French.. just venting.. my frustration...
Old 06-07-02 | 11:35 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Shinchan, we charge that much because we:

Rotate & Balance the Tires,

New Fluids
--- Brake
--- ATF
--- Coolant
--- Diff
--- Oil
(forgetting any fluids?)
Replace A/C filter
Clean the Throttle Plate
all other filters too, If I remeber correctly.

The other MA dealerships (no names )

Don't do as much.

If you don't need some of this stuff done, it will be cheaper.

BTW: I have the all parts catolog for TRD... anyone in MA read Japanse?

John
Old 06-07-02 | 01:54 PM
preskev
Driver School Candidate

I just paid about 700 for my 30K service here in Scottsdale, AZ. From what I remember it was pretty extensive, and took most of the day.
Old 06-07-02 | 02:11 PM
Drimweaver88
Pole Position

here's the Longo Lexus price sheet which was given to us during new owner orientation..every new owner from Longo gets this.
Old 06-07-02 | 03:12 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

My dealer in Atlanta charge $490.00. plus tax.
Which is extensive service ( change all the fluid, rotate and balance, air filter, clean injectors, check all the suspension components...)or I can go with the mini menu at about $290.00 and they cut down a lot of stuff and if I want to do it then that extra. So, I better go with the first one and I don't want to take my car to independent shop because I don't know how much they know about Lexus. For exemple, Transmission fluid type (Lexus used Type-T IV not regular Dextron for GS,LS,RX and 1999 and up ES) or Coolant type ( Lexus used red coolant not green).
Old 06-07-02 | 04:42 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default supracoup3

other than for the profits, why do you change out the:

1. Brake fluid?

Brake systems are very well sealed, they must be in order to sustain and withstand the extraordinary brake pressures, and now with ABS, the hydraulic "hammering". The only place for contamination to enter is at the filler cap and it seems unlikely that in 30k miles enough moisture could enter there to have more than 1 or 2% determindal effect.

Have you ever tested the brake fluids you drain to actually see if it's a waste of time and money or not? Or do you just recycle them into the next sucker's car?

And consider this, for every 1000 times you do this how many brake failures result? How many times do customers come back complaining of "soft" brake pedals?

Is it possible that some of them don't come back to complain because they happen to find themselves six feet under due to unwarranted brake failure?

Prior to encountering this practice at Lexus I had never seen it done as a "maintenance" procedure except on vehicles used in competition or police work.

Does Lexus have a problem with brake fluid contamination along the lines of engine oil sludging that they don't want to tell us about?

Which of the following do you suppose would be statistically safer?

1. Allow some dealer's poorly paid gofer to work on your car's brake system every 30k.

OR

2. Drive the vehicle for 120k and then pay a premium price to have the entire brake system purged and replenished by a professional "technician".

Last edited by wwest; 06-07-02 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-07-02 | 10:21 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Default Re: supracoup3

Originally posted by wwest

And consider this, for every 1000 times you do this how many brake failures result? How many times do customers come back complaining of "soft" brake pedals?

Is it possible that some of them don't come back to complain because they happen to find themselves six feet under due to unwarranted brake failure?

Prior to encountering this practice at Lexus I had never seen it done as a "maintenance" procedure except on vehicles used in competition or police work.

Does Lexus have a problem with brake fluid contamination along the lines of engine oil sludging that they don't want to tell us about?

Which of the following do you suppose would be statistically safer?

1. Allow some dealer's poorly paid gofer to work on your car's brake system every 30k.

OR

2. Drive the vehicle for 120k and then pay a premium price to have the entire brake system purged and replenished by a professional "technician".

First of all, if brake failure on a lexus did happen, the TSB would pick up on it. They have people who can figure out exactly what went wrong on a fatal accident. And no, I have never heard of a fatal accident with a lexus relating to brakes on a car that were regularly serviced.

Ok, so maybe lexus changes fluids too often for you. Just tell your service rep you don't want them changed. But don't ask them to stop their relentless persuit of perfection. Personally, is a few hundred bucks worth the peace of mind that my fluid is clean & my brakes will respond to spec in an emergency stop? I think so.

And about your engine sludge comment. You should learn more about the backgroud before you speak. All the engine sludge cars I have seen so far, have been camrys and ES300s. They were company cars, or cars that were leased. The owners never changed the oil. Hmmm... The owner didn't change the fluids! Wow! That ruined the engine! And guess what? The luck out. The dealership gives them a loaner, they take the head off the engine, have it cleaned out @ a machine shop, the piston O-rings are all replaced, and the engine is basically re-worked for Free because the owner failed to do the car's regularly scheduled maintenance.

Now, about your comment of Lexus Techs being "gofers" It's go-time. I will tell you off the bat that I know that every dealership has their good mechanics & their averege ones. But guess what? the complicated work goes to the good ones, and the grease monkeys get the oil changes. Each is performing to the potential.

I spoke with one mechanic @ my dealership, a really cool guy, and he was completely unphased by the idea of installing the spider gears of the TRD LSD. "No carrier case? Well, that's gonna take a little longer, but I can do it." Not afraid to install a SRT torque converter, he's done it before. And he's also done the Rod Millen rear end. He's got a sweet street bike, and knows his stuff. He also has all the possible needed info for the most unique repairs right @ his finger tips. Toyota & Lexus have all their repair manuals, wiring diagrams, owners manuals, anything a mechanic would need, all online, and right @ their finger tips. He's got it. And he uses it.

Engine Sludge... Yea, Go ahead, don't change any of your fluids maybe they will have a radiator sludge, diff sludge, ATF failure recall too... But I wouldn't count on it. Toyota & Lexus are catching flack from the dealers as is. All the lazy & cheap @ss bums who never had oil changes, getting their engines rebuilt for free.

You've made a big investment, why not take care of it?

John

Edit: Oh yea... And what about never needing to change your ATF? you never responded to my post on that. Just curious to your logic. Is it something along the lines of little faith in anyone else to do any job right besides yourself?

Last edited by SupraCoup3; 06-07-02 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply: 30K Miles Maintance