Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Please help me identify this pulley (RX330/ES330)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-10, 05:46 PM
myLexRX
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Please help me identify this pulley (RX330/ES330)

I am hearing a squalling belt noise (belts are 2 months old) and my mechanic pointed to this pulley (in the picture) as the cause of the noise. It looks like the rubber seal inside the pulley is falling apart and it causes the pulley to vibrate. He said it's the main engine pulley. I called my local Lexus parts guy and he does not know what pulley I'm referring to. Is this the crankshaft pulley?
I found this picture of an RX330 engine and the large pulley at the bottom is what I am referring to.
Please help.
Attached Thumbnails Please help me identify this pulley (RX330/ES330)-engine.jpg  
Old 05-15-10, 06:43 PM
TCM55
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

You are right, that is the crankshaft pulley.
Old 05-15-10, 06:49 PM
myLexRX
Intermediate

Thank you. That's what I suspected.

Would the powertrain warranty cover a replacement of this pulley?
Old 05-15-10, 09:11 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by myLexRX
Thank you. That's what I suspected.

Would the powertrain warranty cover a replacement of this pulley?
It should, powertrain warranty is 6 year/70k miles... Although, in 10 years of working for Lexus, ive never seen one go bad. There are a number of other pulleys that i would be looking at before this one. If you're under warranty, just take the car in and have them look at it.
Old 05-16-10, 08:59 AM
myLexRX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RTIS250
It should, powertrain warranty is 6 year/70k miles... Although, in 10 years of working for Lexus, ive never seen one go bad. There are a number of other pulleys that i would be looking at before this one. If you're under warranty, just take the car in and have them look at it.
Thank you. I bought this car recently with 60K miles. I took it to my mechanic for a service and that included changing the belts (AC and sepr). I first I started noticing a ticking noise, took it back and he said it's normal. Now, I month later, it's squiling. I took it back in and after looking around, he noticed that this crank pulley is vibrating and the rubber from it is falling apart. Hence he advised to replace it.
If Lexus decides to give me reasons not to change under warranty, can I go with a used one from a salvage yard?
Old 05-16-10, 09:27 AM
AshburnM3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

change it asap!!! vibration can cause damage to the crank pulley bolt! broken crank bolt equals new engine!
Old 05-19-10, 05:56 PM
guitarmike
Rookie

Originally Posted by myLexRX
Thank you. I bought this car recently with 60K miles. I took it to my mechanic for a service and that included changing the belts (AC and sepr). I first I started noticing a ticking noise, took it back and he said it's normal. Now, I month later, it's squiling. I took it back in and after looking around, he noticed that this crank pulley is vibrating and the rubber from it is falling apart. Hence he advised to replace it.
If Lexus decides to give me reasons not to change under warranty, can I go with a used one from a salvage yard?
It's very likely that your "mechanic" did not get the belts tight enough to prevent belt slippage. Does it squeal mostly when the vehicle is first started? Or for example when the A/C cycles on? It's probably that the belts are too loose. We don't typically see pulley failure on those engines. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it's just not typical. Tell your mechanic to tighten the belts.
Old 05-20-10, 08:14 PM
myLexRX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by guitarmike
It's very likely that your "mechanic" did not get the belts tight enough to prevent belt slippage. Does it squeal mostly when the vehicle is first started? Or for example when the A/C cycles on? It's probably that the belts are too loose. We don't typically see pulley failure on those engines. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it's just not typical. Tell your mechanic to tighten the belts.
I took the car to the dealer on Monday and they confirmed that the crank pulley had some vibration (I think they said the seal broke off) and they replaced it under the powertrain warranty. Now the engine sounds perfect...

Thank you.
Old 05-02-11, 03:09 PM
hmoob_kid
Driver School Candidate

crank pulley also known as a harmonic balancer pulley..
Old 05-21-11, 06:38 PM
jooky
Driver School Candidate

I have had that pulley separate on two different ES300. I had a 94 a few years ago that did it and I own two 99's now (one for me and one for wife). I just had that same pulley separate and had it replaced last week on my 99. I am in Phoenix,Arizona so maybe something to do with the heat? Anyway, when it fails it allows the outer belt-driven pulley to wander back and forth on the smaller crank-driven pulley. If left alone it will cut into the shrouds behind the pulley/belts and start to run very poorly. Don't delay, fix it (new not used).