Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Dealer's maintainance quality in doubt !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-02, 04:43 PM
diamondgs4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Dealer's maintainance quality in doubt !!

I got my yellow-top battery and K & N filter installed yesterday.

Guess what I found on my factory air filter when I replace it with a new K & N #33-2220 Aircharger filter ? A big thumb black grease mark was found inside of the induction end. It is very obvious the technician from the dealersjip left this stain inside of the air filter. (I believe no one will care except the owner !)

Do you think I should trust the dealer's work any more ?
Does the lexus dealership knows what they are are doing ?

When we pay the high price for a maintainance work, we expect to get the quality job perform. Yet, with this event and my own expeirence, I definitely will switch to Longo instead of the Lexuswest (my original dealer).

I am starting to think about DIY myself later on.
Old 06-23-02, 05:20 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

What dealer is Lexuswest???

What about the rest of the car? Anything else wrong? I have to assume your factory filter was so clean you could see the finger print.

DD
Old 06-23-02, 09:34 PM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

Next time you sevice your GS, ask the service manager to tour the service department and see how the technician keep their areas and what kind of experience they have also meet them and ask the general manager about only having that technician work on your car, That's what I did and I only have 2 technicians work on my car.
This might help you in the future when you take your car in for the next service...

Aloha
Old 06-23-02, 10:53 PM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

I'm never going to mine again. They told me I needed $500 worth of work to fix my car. When I told them that they just did that (not even a year ago) and that it was still under warranty (meaning they would have to replace it for free) they told me they would get back to me. Later that day I called up and then they said I needed $150 worth of work instead (non warranty). They didn't even tell me they did it, they just did it without giving me the estimate first. I cussed them out so bad. I was like "well what if I didn't question your diagnostics, would I have had to pay $500 AND the $150 b/c yall don't know what you're doing?!" .... no answer. So I asked "So did he even do a dianostics test, because he didn't catch it the first time "he did it." So why did he catch it the second time???"....no answer. Then I asked "Well what would happen if I didn't have the $150, would you just UNDO what you did?"...no answer. She just sat there with a puzzled look on her face. They said that it would have been better for them to say I needed the warranty work b/c they would have gotten $500 (from Lexus) instead of the $150 (from me), so they weren't trying to scam me.

THEN when they washed it, they ripped off one of my winsheld washers, and got water into BOTH of my highbeams (and are now yellow). You would think seeing my unpainted bumper with a 1 foot tear (in which it is completly separated) and about a 1 inch gap b/t my bumper and right high beam, that they would figure that maybe putting it through the carwash wasn't the best idea. Not to mention that the secretary's are a bunch of old b!tc#e$. Worst dealership I swear.

I do ALL of my own work now, unless I don't have the machine/equipment to do it with.

Last edited by lexlikenother; 06-23-02 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-24-02, 08:17 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Quality

I rather doubt if any dealer uses skilled/qualified technicians/mechanics to do ROUTINE maintenance procedures, you're lucky if the gofer that does this work is a high school graduate. Actually even that is unlikely since a high school graduate demands more pay than most dealers will alot.
Old 06-24-02, 01:59 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think we have this discussion about dealer service for so many times. IMO, your car, you can do whatever you want.You can take your car to Pepboys, Firestones, or any independence shop for all I care. Oh, they probably spend half an hour play with your Nav. you may have more finger prints on your Nav. screen and a few more POIs or a few more addresses on your previous destination. You may have about 10 more miles on your car when they done ******* the $h!t out of your GS.
If you can do it better,please do it.
Old 06-24-02, 08:26 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Default Re: Quality

Originally posted by wwest
I rather doubt if any dealer uses skilled/qualified technicians/mechanics to do ROUTINE maintenance procedures, you're lucky if the gofer that does this work is a high school graduate. Actually even that is unlikely since a high school graduate demands more pay than most dealers will alot.
Sounds too me like someone got *********** by a dealership. Sorry the pay scale sucks in WA. So how many dealers out there? 1 maybe 2! If the people who fix lexus cars are such idiots, why do you keep buying them? Oh wait, your one of those Super Genuis guys who comes in and says "I already know what's wrong, fix it my way or I'm going to through a fit!". It's very clear you have no idea how a dealership service department is ran.

Sorrry wWest, buttt wez all teks r not all stoopid, unskuuled gufers!
Old 06-24-02, 09:06 PM
Sooner
Pole Position

wwest that is a bold statement i do not agree with.us techs are not all idiots and the pay scale is just fine here in wa.you and i have butted heads before and i have proven you wrong everytime.this is not meant to be a flame war but for you to realize that we are not gofers andi do have a high school diploma and have been to college.i do this cause i enjoy this for a living.before you start on techs think about it i would not be this nice next time.also remember most of us techs know alot more about these cars then you.as for diamondgs4 you know mistakes will happen and i am glad the rest of your car is ok.a funny thing also about this site is you don't see the techs posting a lot of stupid custer defects retard stories which there are plenty.this is a car site and we can help eachother.it gets pretty old hearing all the negative remarks about a dealer and no positive ones.i think i will stop at this point and say lexus makes a great car and the majority of the techs do a great job.
Old 06-24-02, 11:27 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hahaha, LEXUSWEST

you're talking about Lexus of Westminster rite?

well, one word of advice, DON'T TAKE YOUR CAR THERE!

their technicians don't give a crap about your car. i should know. i had my car serviced there a month ago and they totally f_cked it up, plus they damaged my car. i posted a thread a while back about my story. anyways, i had them repair what they jacked up. word of advice, bring it to tustin lexus.
Old 06-24-02, 11:39 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Haha wwest. rofl. I agree with you totally though!
Old 06-25-02, 11:23 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Gofers

InsofarasIknow I have not disparaged the technicians nor the mechanics at Lexus. If you can find me a dealer, any dealer, that uses skilled labor for routine maintenance procedures then I will give it another go.

What I have said is that the Lexus product line is so reliable that typically the only time it needs to be in the shop is for scheduled maintenance routines.

Other than the factory design defects, which in some cases those same technicians and/or mechanics have verified in writing, I have discussed from time to time on the net, the only Lexus failure that has occurred amongst myself, my company associates, and a few close friends, is the left front oxygen sensor on my own 92 LS.

If properly cared for, these vehicles are simply not subject to failure.

Oh, almost forgot, I dropped out of school, Humes, in the 10th grade to join the USAF. Other than that, it's all life's experiences.

Last edited by wwest; 06-25-02 at 11:26 AM.