Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Co2

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-02, 11:13 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Co2

Yesterday I checked the pollen filter on my 01 911, mostly because I was curious as to where/how it was mounted in comparison to the Lexus. To my great surprise it was completely clogged! 9k miles, 1600 in Europe, 3500 from POE, and the rest local, no dirt roads, etc.

Within the last year or so I have changed out the pollen filters on a 95 LS (20k mile interval), a 00 GS3 (8k miles), and an 01 RX (15k miles). None of the Lexus filters were even close to being clogged.

What gives?

Now I know that Lexus strives mightily to reduce the blower speed to achieve QUIET, and I also know that one of the reasons they can do that is the Lexus products do not allow much atmospheric "leakage", very little "outflow" of stale cabin air.

Using previously "conditioned" airflow, recirculated again and again, allows them to keep the cycling of the A/C compressor fairly low and thus their MPG numbers artificially high.

But the airflow outlet ducts for the 911 are even smaller than any of the Lexus products of which I am familiar. Maybe the difference is that Porsche keeps the blower speed up fairly high, creating a higher level of outlet flow due to air pressure.

Or maybe the actual exhauster airflow for the 911 is into an aerodynamic low pressure area, unlike the Lexus products wherein the "exhauster" outlet is always within an aerodynamically created high pressure area, under the rear quarter panel.

My wife and I have both noticed that we become drowsier on long trips in the Lexus vs the 911, do you suppose the excitement of driving the 911 keeps us wide awake or is it the low oxygen content along with the comfort and quiet in the Lexus? Or maybe some of each?

Has anyone used a CO2 sensor in their Lexus to see just how bad things get on a long drive?
Old 06-24-02, 11:31 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

You think you posted this in enough forums?
Old 06-24-02, 11:57 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default "low oxygen content"

Now the truth comes forth...You haven't been getting enough oxygen!

I'll hazard a guess that you write these diatribes after you've
driven your Lexus too long. It's a simple case of hypoxia.

This may explain the pointless, oftentimes worthless blather in your posts.

I apologize for thinking you were just a self-important ***,
when in fact, you are a hypoxic, delusional monomaniac.

Please either:
-Crack a window
-Turn off air-recirculator
-Seek professional help
-Sell the Lexus.

Last edited by Daddy-O; 06-24-02 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-24-02, 01:32 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Crack a window...

Paddy...

Can't do that on the RX without incurring this horribly loud helicopter-like noise, or did you find a way to over-rule the laws of physics yet?
Old 06-24-02, 01:56 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That noise never happened when I just cracked a window or have you found a way to go back in time and re-write my posts?

Go back in time and read my posts, for accuracy, and then take your meds.
Old 06-24-02, 03:11 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default apologies to paddy...

Hadn't experienced the RX's helicopter sound until now, just went to buy new 911 pollen filter and on the way back tried lowering the front window and then the back..

With just the passenger side front window down the noise is VERY pronounced, but with just the passenger side rear window down the whoop-whoop is so loud it is actually painfull, very painfull I would even say, and that was only at about 50 MPH.

I had experienced this problem on earlier vehicles but never to this level. Now I am more willing than ever to bet that the upcoming RX and HL remodel will have rear wing windows that can be opened. Or even an electrically operated rear door glass like my old Ford station wagons.

I guess Lexus expected that no one in this "class" would lower the windows instead of using the A/C.