Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

diagnosing power window problems, where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-10, 03:36 PM
PanicUnit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diagnosing power window problems, where do I start?

Car is a 95 SC300

Surely there's some good threads about this already? I searched awhile but couldn't find them.

My mechanic seems either unwilling, or unable to diagnose exactly why my passenger side window no longer works... Driver's window still works perfectly, all in-door switches (e.g. locks, mem seating) work fine except the pass. window switches on either door no longer respond, but I think the switches are all fine, despite a little occasional sudden rain.

Both the driver's side switch and pass. side switches for pass. window began to work intermittently, with the driver's side switch failing more often. Eventually the drivers side switch "half-failed" to where I could still roll down from D side, but had to lean over to P side switch to roll it up, then the D side switch soon failed completely, and the P side switch failed about 2-3 weeks later.
So it sounds to me like some electronic module somewhere has crapped out, which I should be able to resolder/repair/salvage/order for alot less than the $700 I'm being quoted for the job with 2-3 OEM parts.

I think the mechanic basically said all that could be done was to just replace all the pwr window electronics in the drivers' side at OEM cost. I'd like to just grab a multimeter and find a wiring diagram, and see if I can find which one exactly is failing, and replace just that one.

Is getting into the door itself difficult for a beginner to do? I'm not very knowledgeable in auto repairs, but i did replace one of my brake light bulbs the other day just working on inspection/intuition alone.

Thanks!

Last edited by PanicUnit; 08-18-10 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-18-10, 07:29 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Unfortunately, there are a lot of electronics inside the doors of these cars - the switches themselves are somewhat complex...

I would start with finding used window switches for both doors... You could also just have a loose wiring harness or some corrosion on the connectors, so, possibly just take the switches out and look at them for corrosion first... On my 93 SC, they just popped straight out, pretty sure its the same on the 95's... It is somewhat of a task to take the door apart, but I might have done a DIY on it years ago around here somewhere... maybe search my username and DIY and see what you come up with...
Old 08-20-10, 08:23 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,356 Posts

There are a number of threads on windows (esp regulators) in the FAQ link collection in the SC forum

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...d-threads.html