Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

155,000 mile service - multiple issues - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-10, 08:40 PM
huesero
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 155,000 mile service - multiple issues - HELP!

I am the 2nd owner of a 1997 ES 300 that has been very dependable over the years, but now is in need of work. I have all records of regular routine maintenance & never wrecked. I live in El Cajon, CA. The local dealership wants to charge me more than the car is worth to address the major issues.

I need other options.....Any ideas for an independent mechanic in my area?

(1) I was told I needed a new A/C compressor (a/c button light blinks and air is hot - resets - starts over - going on for 4 years now), but Lexus doesnt make comps for this year anymore, so I would have to get a rebuilt one that they dont even guarantee. Parts + refrig recharge + labor = about $3,000.

(2) Check engine light and TRAC OFF light just came on, but car runs fine.
Separate Diagnostic fee + ?

(3) I cant recall replacing any major things like timing chains/belts, or pumps, etc. What else might I expect?

I saw an add on this website for Discount A/C Parts compressor replacement Kit for $300. Claims to be new comp + hoses, etc. Not OEM or reman?
Any experience with this company or others?

Is bringing in your own parts and paying the indep or dealer mechanic to install without warranty logical or appropriate?

If I were to sell this car in its current condition (the clear coat has acne. Paint job may be needed. Int. is fine), what I should ask?

If I did all of the above & then tried to sell, I think I would lose $.

Im thinking about donating it to charity, in which case I would ask for the $4,999 valuation, and uncle sam might actually allow me to deduct 30% = about $1,500.

What would you do?
Old 10-07-10, 05:19 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by huesero
(1) I was told I needed a new A/C compressor (a/c button light blinks and air is hot - resets - starts over - going on for 4 years now), but Lexus doesnt make comps for this year anymore, so I would have to get a rebuilt one that they dont even guarantee. Parts + refrig recharge + labor = about $3,000.

(2) Check engine light and TRAC OFF light just came on, but car runs fine.
Separate Diagnostic fee + ?

(3) I cant recall replacing any major things like timing chains/belts, or pumps, etc. What else might I expect?
Gonna tackle the easy ones...

If all you need is a compressor, most independent shops should be able to find a suitable reman unit (80% of replacements are reman anyways), and even paying shop labor, probably around $1000 would be a reasonable price for this... Who wouldn't warranty it? Most parts shops have warranties on the part, and if you get it done through an independent shop, they should have their own parts and labor warranty even... If you take a shop new parts, they install them, and there is something wrong with them, then you will be paying labor and evac/recharge again - they would not cover the warranty labor on the part. Short answer - shop around.

Diagnostic - go to Autozone (or someone else who will pull the codes stored in the computer) and report back to us the codes in the computer - this will give us more info to go on - this should be free

Its an old car - its going to have issues - if you have kept up with spark plug changes and oil changes, it should still give you years of dependable service, however, with that in mind, its old, so, things like water pumps, power steering pumps and alternators are common failures, though all are cheaper to replace than buying a new car...
Old 10-07-10, 05:02 PM
huesero
Driver School Candidate

Thanks - by the way, in CA, Autozone no longer will pull codes for you. The auto repair shops and unions have successfully sued to prevent them from doing this service or even allowing a patron to borrow the testing unit. I would have to buy one for $50.
I guess it would empower me with knowledge, but if Im going to have to pay the mechanic to do it again for a $100, why spend $150?

I also inquired about Autozone's compressors, which they also order and sell to the dealers for about $100 - $150, who turns around and marks it up 4-5X, so that I would be charged $500 for the same part from the dealer, who then might warrant the work to revise it if it didnt work or if leaks discovered, but not necessarily warrant the part, just the duplicate labor, but would still charge extra to recharge the system each time at $250 a pop (read other threads on a/c abuses). Whereas if I bring them the same compressor, they will charge me double in labor as well as recharges, etc. Either way, any a/c work seems like a rape.
Old 10-07-10, 07:07 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBD-C...motiveQ5fTools

well worth the money - search on ebay for OBD2 diagnostic scanner

there are laptop / pc based versions that go for around $20...

a worthwhile investment, IMO, I've never been without one...
Old 10-08-10, 04:52 PM
MechTom1
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

I own a shop and have been in business for 20+ years...

1. The tricky thing about any a/c system is that there are a lot of components to it. The main components are the compressor, condensor, receiver drier, expansion valve, evaporator and hoses in between each component. Even if you fix one thing, that doesn't mean everything else is going to work. Each time you replace a component, you have to evacuate the freon, make your repairs then recharge the freaon; very time consuming. That's why a lot places wont' give you a warranty - it can be a headache.

With that said, $3,000 is wayyyyyy too much to be spending. I think this job is worth about $1,000 with warranty.

2. Yeah, unfortunatly most places will charge you for diagnostics. $125 is a fair price.

3. Timing belt is probably the biggest thing you need to worry about as far as maintnance items. $500 approx.

Good luck,

Tom
Old 10-10-10, 03:40 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1) $3k is way too much. Like the others have said, the AC system can be problematic to repair and guarantee. That said, you have the Lexus equivalent of a camry which means any Toyota dealer / independent should be able to do this for you (competition = lower price)

2) You can pull the codes using my OBDII scanner

3) Do you have an extra car? What can you buy for $1500 nowadays? I thought camries / ESs run 200k+ miles