Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Brake caliper replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-10, 08:04 PM
WAES300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake caliper replacement?

So I did a search.. found what I wasn't quite for, maybe someone can say for sure for me..

I hada nail in my driver side front tire, and a slow leak. I went to Les Schwab and they fixed it for free.. Anyhow, they told me I need break replacement- which didn't irk me, just a normal sales pitch.. BUT- is it really necessary when replacing the pads to replace the rotors, and calipers as well???

It just seems excessive to me. I've been under the notion that you replace calipers only when they aren't operational- my old Pathfinder had a slightly weak caliper on one side and it worked fine- just pulled a little.

To top it all off, there's plenty of pad left, I'm not blind..
Thanks guys!
Old 10-22-10, 04:43 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I guess I can chime in here - used to be in that business...

Essentially, any time you push the pistons back into the caliper, you do a little bit of damage / accelerate wear (to the square cut seal)... Does this matter, well, most of the time, no, but sometimes, it does and you end up with severely worn pads on one side or the other because that seal is not pulling the pad back from the rotor face a few thousandths of an inch like it is supposed to... So, unless you are getting severely uneven pad wear from one side to the other, the calipers aren't a required replacement, however, it would be good preventative maintenance...

As far as rotors, well, simple - if they are grooved at all, they most likely need replaced, but the true gauge is to measure them... if they are close to or below their discard spec, they should be replaced... Generally it is a good idea to turn the rotors, so you will need at least .030" thicker than discard... One thing about this though, is that, either way, the rotors are thinner than they started which means they will warp easier and not have as much braking power because they heat up faster / more.

Define plenty of pad left. Certain pads are not able to be worn flat with the backing - typically new pads will come with 11-12mm worth of material... on most Toyota based vehicles, they require replacement at 1 mm, but should probably be replaced between 2 and 2.5 mm...

Remember, retail repair shops are in it for both yours and their best interest. Not only will what they suggest make them money, but it will also keep you happy and safe. Imagine they did a brake job on that Pathfinder and it pulled, yet they didn't recommend you replace the calipers. Most people given that situation will take advantage of it and complain, most likely in order to get more...