Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Member Intro - Pics & Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-10, 09:05 AM
Driver53
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Member Intro - Pics & Problem

Hey guys. I posted this in the 1st Generation GS forum but go no responses. So I figured I'd try here for help. This is my 1994 GS 300 with about 120K on the clock, inline 6 engine and auto trans.

As of right now the car is bone stock and I've got a lot of maintenance to do, however, there is one big problem.
The car had a major malfunction last week. CEL light came on at 30 MPH and car died fast like it hit a fuel cut. Afterwards, while leaning over engine bay with the key turned to ON position, I could hear an occasional and random sound (crackling sound) from near the fuel rail. At first I thought the sound was wires arcing but later realized the sound was the random/sporadic firing of injectors. I removed the key but only after my brother and I pushed the car a mile home.

My car's problem sounds a lot like Kruso's issue here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ing-prize.html

I'm looking for help with the following:
- Should I be worried about hyrdolock, if so should I pull the plugs?
- Car wont start (cranks hard wont fire) and I think it’s the ECU. I found the ECU under pass side floorboard and am going to remove it and replace with a used one. Maybe a cap w/in the ECU has leaked and shorted the injector driver? Any thought on this?
- CEL light is ON and I tried to retrieve codes by jumping the terminal w/ paperclip (this is old school OBDI not OBDII). The paperclip method did not work….no change to CEL (no flashing just constant light). Can a partially fried ECU make code retrieval impossibe? I am assuming this is dielectric grease on my data link connector?

Any info or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-02-10, 08:06 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Hello,

The ECU's are known for failing here lately (from what I can tell) and dumping fuel (keeping an injector open).

What terminals are you jumping off in the ODBI Module? I can't really tell in the picture as it's too far away if it's dielectric grease or not but generally it just gets dirty, it doesn't turn white. From my angle (on a 27" monitor) it looks a bit fried, but I can't tell for sure.
Old 11-03-10, 06:19 AM
Driver53
Driver School Candidate

Hey Tech, I was jumping the TE1 and E1. On closer inspection its gotta be dielectric grease on the datalink.

I got ahold of Kruso and he said his resolution to the same problem a few years back was the ECU.

I bought an ECU off the auction site and will be installing it in a day or so. I also opened up my current ECU to see if I could find any leaking caps or sign of ripple/bubbling in the motherboard, but I didnt see anything out of the ordinary.

I put a mechanics stethoscope onto one of the injectors and turned key to ON and waited for the sound and its definitely the sound of an injector firing fast/outta control.

I'll check back in once I get the new ECU set up.