Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Need help with rotors.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-10, 11:22 AM
ISAVY
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with rotors.

I need a brake job, so I called Lexus to ask for estimates just out of curiousty and it was $239 for fronts and $239 for rears with lube, resurfacing rotors, and pads. Of course I am not going to pay that because I have done brake work before, but this is my first Lexus, so I need some advice. I called a brake shop in Orlando and he said to never turn Lexus rotors because of their type. I told him Lexus said they would do it, and he said that was odd. He told me to just go buy new ones, but I stated that they cost $168 at Lexus he said go buy them at Autozone for 33 bucks a piece. He was like it will be better then them turning them for $15.

So here are the rotors are they the same quanlity as the Lexus ones or am I screwing myself. Should I even resurface the rotors?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-jpxhhZ8knrq
Old 11-12-10, 10:38 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with the ones from Autozone, the new ones are going to be thicker than your factory ones after they are resurfaced. Therefore, lowering the chances of warping. Can't beat $30 a piece. Less of a headache too; bolt off, bolt on. No need to drop by a lathe then head back to assemble.
Old 11-14-10, 06:21 AM
dealer374
Driver

I've always had good luck with EBC if you wanted to get some drilled and slotted rotors. But I don't know what your budget is.
Old 11-14-10, 09:37 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

only problem with the rotors from autozone - chances are they are similar, but not the same as your rotors from the factory... things like the shape and design of the cooling vents, the density of the metal itself, and even the initial thickness - all of these things are variables that you may not get with an inexpensive rotor...

I highly suggest checking the design of the az rotor versus the OEM rotor - you may still be better off turning the factory rotors (they have a minimum thickness for a reason) as they will be just fine above the minimum thickness, so long as there is plenty of material to cut... so long as there is no major warpage (no pedal pulsation) and no grooving, you may be just fine with new pads and not doing anything to the rotors... if you go this route, I suggest either staying with the same pads as you originally had, or, using emery cloth to polish the rotor faces to give the new pads a chance to bed themselves well...
Old 11-15-10, 12:34 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

If your current rotors are above spec.. just resurface them.
Old 12-12-10, 08:38 PM
MrDGAF
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like he was trying to make some easy money at first. Like stated above if they are above spec resurface them. It is a standard practice to resurface lexus rotors at dealerships. If I were you and wanted speedy/ cost effective, then just have the dealer resurface and you take it from there.
Old 12-23-10, 08:19 PM
AstroVic
Driver School Candidate

I don't know about those particular rotors. The only advice I can give is that I would never buy any Chinese-made rotors. I've had too many cheap rotors warp quickly. Ultimately, you'll end up buying the better quality ones anyhow, so you might as well get the good ones right now.

I've had very good luck with Wagner brake products. Their Thermo Quiet pads are excellent. You can get Wagner products at O'Reilly Auto Parts.