Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Lexus Oil filters are a rip off

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-02, 04:09 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
Default same filter as Toyota

When I bought a filter at my local Lexus dealer for my JZS-147, it came in a red Totota filter box and said Toyota on the filter itself. It was $4.50. I wasn't aware that Lexus even had their own part.
Old 08-08-02, 05:30 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: same filter as Toyota

Originally posted by link13
When I bought a filter at my local Lexus dealer for my JZS-147, it came in a red Totota filter box and said Toyota on the filter itself. It was $4.50. I wasn't aware that Lexus even had their own part.
Lexus doesn't have their own filter, its a Toyota filter with a model number geared towards Lexus. All the filters that you buy at Lexus are Toyota filters in Toyota boxes.
Old 08-08-02, 05:37 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by damnboy
Thanks for the info.
So this filter (90915-YZZB5-Toyota V-8 filter) can fit my 99 GS3 too right?
The correct filter for your car is YZZB9 but you can use the B5 filter as well. The B5 will filter more oil then the B9.
Suppose to be B9 for V6 and B5 for V8 but it doesn't matter.
Go with the B5 for better filtration.

Stay away from 08922-02011 that they may try to sell you!

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 08-08-02 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-08-02, 07:47 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Jmai22
didn't think this thread was gonna get that many replies, but wow. hey rich people don't become rich buying expensive stuff. most rich people are the cheapest people around. thats how they become wealthy. they learn to save and shop around. in no way am i saying i'm rich.
My thoughts exactly. Most "wealthy" people buy Camrys instead of the ES300 and Land Cruisers in place of the LX470. I have read many books on the spending habits of America's wealthy and they all come to the same conclusion: No one becomes wealthy by leasing a new Mercedes or by having a big mortgage.

Just thought I'd add a tid bit into this thread.
Old 08-22-02, 09:28 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Great info. The Mobil 1 oil filter cut away sort of surprised me. Has anyone looked at Amsoil's oil filters?
Old 08-23-02, 01:50 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because of arguments like this, is that they changed all the windows marks from TOYOTA on earlier models <98 or so> to LEXUS on newer models
Old 12-21-02, 08:48 AM
gebo
Advanced

Originally posted by SharpLS-96

The good Toyota filters are the ones made by Denso in Japan. Just make sure they say Denso and made in Japan on the filter and your good to go. Be careful cause there the ones that say Toyota made in USA are of poor quality. (These are cheap, completely different fragile element inside!) If your not sure just look in the filter and you can tell the quality of it.

Click on the pictures to get a better look. >>>>>>>
http://mkiv.com/techarticles/parts/t...ter/index.html

Now as far as
90915-20004-Lexus V-8 filter
90915-YZZB5-Toyota V-8 filter
These two are the same filters except 20004 has a orange rubber seal gasket and YZZB5 has a black gasket. Both are by Denso and made in Japan. If you want to pay higher prices at Lexus just for the peace of mind then go ahead but it’s really the exact same filter at Toyota for half the price if not more.

We all work hard for our money so why spent it foolishly. An educated consumer is the best consumer.
PERIOD
After tearing apart both filters yesterday and examining their guts, I can say without any hesitation that the YZZB5 and the 20004 (both are made in Japan) are NOT the same. The 20004 has more filter material (although the material appears to be the same in both) having 12 ribs vs 9 in the YZZB5 and the YZZB5 DOES NOT have a bypass valve. The 20004 does. That's why the 20004 is longer, to accomodate the bypass valve at the end:eek: There is also another piece of "stuff" in the bottom of the 20004 that is not in the YZZB5. I don't know what it is for, I just know it ain't in the YZZB5.

Yea, I guess I'll pay the $3 extra for the 20004. I think my Lexi deserve By-Pass Valves. Don' t you?

We all work hard for our money so why spend it foolishly? An educated consumer is the best consumer.
PERIOD

Last edited by gebo; 12-21-02 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-21-02, 10:48 AM
Salon Boy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F.Y.I... I am the Sales and Product Trainer for the 7th Largest TOYOTA Dealer in the U.S. Having somewhat of a decent amount of knowledge of our cars and such, I thought some of you would like to know that The TOYOTA Motor Corporation Created Lexus for the sole purpose of keeping up with a new brand from Honda, called Acura which was specifically created to allow an Import Manufacturer to import more cars into the U.S.A. In order to circumvent the import laws that limited the number of cars allowed into the Country in 1986. Now, as to the quality of the filters, Toyota Motor Corp. requires all Toyota O.E.M suppliers domestically and abroad to manufacture ALL COMPONENTS TO EXACT TOYOTA SPECIFIC STANDARDS... PERIOD. It is irrelevent who makes the filter, they make a filter to the exact same "quality" standards regardless of the O.E.M supplier be it tier 1 or otherwise. A good example of the power TOYOTA wields over O.E.M suppliers is that when Firestone had the tire blowout problems did anyone notice Toyota /Lexus dealers were NOT affected?... Why you ask... because Toyota required the actual rubber compound and construction of the tires be revised to their EXACT standards or Firestone/Bridgestone would Not be a Tier 1 supplier to Toyota. So if I were you I would buy a Toyota filter which are made to Toyotas exact quality standards at the case price at any Toyota dealer. We do about 2,000 oil changes at our Toyota Dealership everymonth. We always use Toyota filters on all Lexus/Toyotas. As Lexus does on Lexus and Toyotas. B.T.W our oil and filter changes with synthetic are under $20.00 so don't get ripped off because of the name "Lexus" just get the Toyota filter. Hope this helps Salon Boy
Old 12-21-02, 11:08 AM
DesertRat
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Iceman
If you're going to buy an expensive luxury car, why would you penny-pinch when it comes to something like the oil filter? I will even admit that you could save $16 by getting the Toyota filter which may be exactly the same inside. But is it worth that if you ever have a problem and they give you a hassle about the warranty because you used non-Lexus parts? Now I'm not saying they'd win in the end, but is it even worth the potential hassle? If you can afford a Lexus, you can afford the stinkin' oil filter.
Yes, I can afford a Lexus. I can also easily afford an overpriced Lexus filter. That doesn't mean I have to support price gouging. I choose to reward merchants that sell fairly-priced products by giving them my business.

I could afford to buy a $5.00 gallon of milk, for example, but I would much rather buy the stuff at a fair and honest price.
Old 12-21-02, 12:18 PM
gebo
Advanced

Originally posted by Salon Boy
So if I were you I would buy a Toyota filter which are made to Toyotas exact quality standards at the case price at any Toyota dealer. We do about 2,000 oil changes at our Toyota Dealership everymonth. We always use Toyota filters on all Lexus/Toyotas. As Lexus does on Lexus and Toyotas. B.T.W our oil and filter changes with synthetic are under $20.00 so don't get ripped off because of the name "Lexus" just get the Toyota filter. Hope this helps Salon Boy
Salon Boy,

Since either of these Toyota filters fit most of our Lexus', which one would you buy?

90915-20004 for $8.00
90915-YZZB5 for $5.00
Old 12-22-02, 04:04 AM
Salon Boy
Driver School Candidate

I would by the lesser of the two for the simple reason that 3-5,000 miles is very little wear on the engine oil anyway, and if you look at the oil coming out after such a short period of time it has very little if any, contaminants in it. The reason oil must be replaced, as I'm sure you know is viscosity reduction. I feel it is ultimately up to you though. An oil change on a consistent basis is the best bet for pre-mature wear protection. If theres anything I can do for you don't hesitate to p.m me. Salon Boy
Old 12-22-02, 04:11 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Salon Boy
I would by the lesser of the two for the simple reason that 3-5,000 miles is very little wear on the engine oil anyway, and if you look at the oil coming out after such a short period of time it has very little if any, contaminants in it. The reason oil must be replaced, as I'm sure you know is viscosity reduction. I feel it is ultimately up to you though. An oil change on a consistent basis is the best bet for pre-mature wear protection. If theres anything I can do for you don't hesitate to p.m me. Salon Boy
actually your wrong. i change my oil everyone 3500 miles. and when i pour it in its yellowy clear, mobil 1. but when it comes out its pratcially black. i change my filter ever time i change my oil. also if you took the time to read the thread. one of the reason why most choose the more expensive one is because it filters more oil at a time.
Old 12-24-02, 12:45 PM
kvoman
Driver

Jmai22 and Salon Boy are both correct.

The oil should not have any contaminants in it, if it does and is visible, you're screwed - your engine is ruined!!! If you ever put a filter at the oil drain as you're draining oil, you should not find any contaminants. If there are any micro particles, you should only find it in your oil filter if you cut it open, if you can distinguish between it and the metal fines from what you cut up!

The difference in oil color (yellowy vs. dark/black) can be attribute to the change in the thermal properties of the oil after being used in the engine. That's the viscosity breakdown of the oil that Salon Boy referred to.

Last edited by kvoman; 12-24-02 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-24-02, 01:22 PM
Salon Boy
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Thanks for the props Kevoman, I am not trying to be a know it all, just trying to help Jmai. My qualifications on speaking about Toyota and Lexus comes from being a sales and product trainer for Toyota for the last 5 years of which I have been in the position of educating salespeople about the incredible quality of Toyotas products and how to sell them to clients... Like you and me. If there is anything You may need help on understanding in the future don't hesitate to p.m. me... S.B
Old 12-24-02, 01:40 PM
gebo
Advanced

Salon Boy,

So you don't think the ByPass valve is worth $3.00? Why not?

Quick Reply: Lexus Oil filters are a rip off