Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Just got the pricing info for my maintenance.. is it reasonable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-11, 11:57 AM
2IS350DT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got the pricing info for my maintenance.. is it reasonable?

Took my car in for the spring valve recall and the sales assitant countered with the following.

spark plugs-$108 during ALE recall

differential service-$108

replace battery-$169

fuel induction flush-$155

new wiper inserts-$39

engine air filter-$55

cabin air filter-$95

brake fluid flush-$102

oil and filter service-$69

these items are recommended due to time and mileage on the vehicle.

My car is currently sitting at 63k right now, and I am about to do the 60K maintenance.
1) The cabine air filter for 95 i think it is crazy, I can do that myself.
2) The battery replacement seems way to high, I can get it for a much better deal at autozone.
3) I just got a new air intake, therefore I wouldn't need to replace the engine air filter.
4) I am getting the 60k maint soon so oil change is included, so I won't need that.
5) New wiper inserts, I can buy and replace them myself..

So my question is are the following services necessary? Also can anyone brifly explain what they are?

brake fluid flush-$102

Thank you for yall help
Old 01-25-11, 06:58 PM
david005
Driver School Candidate

I wouldn't do the break fluid unless your having problems. What exactly are they doing with the rest? Are they just checking the bolts for the "differential service?" lol
Old 01-27-11, 05:57 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by david005
I wouldn't do the break fluid unless your having problems. What exactly are they doing with the rest? Are they just checking the bolts for the "differential service?" lol
um, every couple of years, it is essential to do the brake fluid flush... brake fluid is highly corrosive, and is loaded with corrosion inhibitors to protect the internals of the brake lines... once these inhibitors go away, the fluid literally leeches material out of the walls of the brake lines... the test we do to determine how badly this is happening is a test to determine how many parts per million of copper have been leeched into the fluid... the really bad thing is that this copper, if in enough quantities and deposited into the right places can stick valves in ABS units and such...

here's a good read I just googled for ya:
http://brakefluidtest.com/news/speci...vs-water.shtml

in fact, if you are having problems with the brake fluid, it is far too late in the game to expect flushing to fix anything...

for the OP: brake fluid flush simply replaces all the brake fluid in the car with new, which will give the fluid the corrosion inhibitors all new again (think wear protectors in oil), and remove any moisture that has accumulated over the years... the fluid will also be completely bled of air, so, the pedal may feel better as well...

differential service - like changing the oil in your car, the rear differential uses fluid to lubricate and prevent wear. it is under high stress, and therefore can be damaged over time, not to mention the small pieces of material that wear off - they can become suspended in the fluid causing more wear...

fuel injection service - basically run some chemicals through the fuel system to dissolve any deposits, some FI services also include a cleaning of the vacuum ports and intake manifold as well...

Last edited by mitsuguy; 01-27-11 at 06:02 AM.
Old 02-01-11, 12:59 PM
BentValve
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2IS350DT
So my question is are the following services necessary? Also can anyone brifly explain what they are?

brake fluid flush-$102

Thank you for yall help
Have you looked at your brake fluid? If its black, get it done. But, with a buddy, you can bleed the brakes for under $20 in brake fluid and possibly some rags. Fuel induction flush isn't necessary unless you are having fuel issues/hesitating/sputtering, etc. Differential is a drain and fill process and he fluid is $10 at most.
Old 02-01-11, 05:11 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BentValve
Have you looked at your brake fluid? If its black, get it done. But, with a buddy, you can bleed the brakes for under $20 in brake fluid and possibly some rags. Fuel induction flush isn't necessary unless you are having fuel issues/hesitating/sputtering, etc. Differential is a drain and fill process and he fluid is $10 at most.
just looking at the color of brake fluid is not an accurate indicator, just like looking at the color of oil is not either...

fuel induction flush is not something that fixes anything, it is a maintenance item - if your fuel system has gotten so bad that it is causing issues, chances are the flush isn't going to fix anything... get it done before it becomes an issue...

differential drain and fill, definitely, it sounds high, but, thats the price you pay for going to the dealer for service... chances are an independent would do it for half of that, but, an independent would also charge less for the other services as well...
Old 02-01-11, 06:25 PM
toyotero
Rookie

You can do the differential at home as well as the brake flush. The stealership just wants your money. Why do you think they jumped on you like they did? Save the money and do it on a weekend with a friend.
Old 02-01-11, 10:26 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Id definately take advantage of the spark plugs during the ALE. They likely arent even charging you labor, since it overlaps with the ALE anyway, so you're only paying parts. I say do it. I think everyone else has covered the rest..
Old 02-15-11, 10:47 PM
docrings
Rookie

All of those have DIY links here on the forum...and relatively easy, with tools that will cost far less than the labor charges at a dealer.

Here's a start
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ou-search.html

This is the link for some GS specific stuff, but look under your model's forum, and there might be similar DIY sticky thread...if not, the GS DIY links might be enough to show you how easy this stuff is, with a little forum DIY help. Just have to ask yourself, "what is my time worth?". I'm always happy to spend a couple hours in the garage to save $400...and my wife agrees!
Old 02-16-11, 10:23 PM
svlexus
Driver

Was it fair pricing- no. Was it common/typical pricing- yes. figure it out for yourself whether you feel ripped off. They charged you 27.00 in labor to put in your windshield wipers. That service used to be free when I worked as a gas pumper as a kid.

If a mechanic had only one customer a day and made money off that 2 hours max labor at those prices he could live a leisurely lifestyle. 500 a day profit for 2 hours work?

Ill break it down- spark plugs is 8 bolts to take off coils and 8 plugs, with power tools its under 5 mins if you wanna play race mechanic.

Differential is a drain nut and then they suck it out, then refill, 5 mins while doing other stuff.

battery is 100 at any store and they install free

fuel injector flush is connectin a can of stuff to a line, 10 minutes with the procedure of running it and all.

air filter and cabin filter take 2 minutes for both of them- no skill either, its like inserting a vhs cassette

brake flush with equipment takes 10 minutes, without it takes 10 minutes but you need a helper or a self bleeder kit from store for 10 bux.

Oil change takes 10 minutes and costs about 15 bux in parts if you use regular oil, maybe 30 with synthetic.

But- if you compare that with your DR.- at least the mechanics did something.

Last edited by svlexus; 02-16-11 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-19-11, 09:11 PM
theslammer
Driver School Candidate

Remember the words preventative maintenance. Just because you aren't having a problem doesn't mean you shouldn't do them. The battery should definitely be done with the dealer mind the price because it has a two year parts warranty and you will get it replaced for free
Old 02-21-11, 11:31 AM
toyotero
Rookie

I can't believe that people pay these prices! A battery is less than $80 for a good one at Advanced auto, free install and replacement for 3 years.