Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

99 gs300 transmission drain and fill, now acting up

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-11, 07:37 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by snowmaker
Great and I do not care so have at it!!!!! So now most cars are 12 qts total? Not on my ES but...And PROVE this extra fluid will increase psi but some ammount? Any data? Not arguing but I like data or numbers to show something. Taking a post on this forum is not the bible.

You can at the min and at 10%, not gonna hurt. Add 10% at the max and if that kill the seals, most dealers would be out of business since every car I have had worked on , fluids are way over filled by a lot...

But ha, you do not see this post so move along..LOL
You can try to drain about 1 qt on your 06 ES and we'll see how your ES perform after a few thousand miles. I think you don't want to bet a $5K repair on your own car, would you.

A few quart low on the trans( just 1 qt) will cause a delay or nothing at all in reverse and harsh shift in all forward gears. An overfill will build up a lot of pressure in the transmission caused shatter in forward gears.

What do you mean by the cars you have had work on and how do you check the fluid level?

The maintenance forum always have been a nice and easy place to come in and ask question about cars. If another member doesn't agree with you, you don't have to get all rear end hurt and tell him to move along. I've been working on Toyota and Lexus for over 20 years and I always learning. I know you're working behind your computer making big bucks and don't want to get your hair dirty from the dipping snow from under the cars. I appreciated your contribution in this forum but please respect another member opinion(especially the one that help out a lot of members in the past before you become very active).
Old 03-13-11, 11:31 AM
snowmaker
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i
You can try to drain about 1 qt on your 06 ES and we'll see how your ES perform after a few thousand miles. I think you don't want to bet a $5K repair on your own car, would you.

A few quart low on the trans( just 1 qt) will cause a delay or nothing at all in reverse and harsh shift in all forward gears. An overfill will build up a lot of pressure in the transmission caused shatter in forward gears.

What do you mean by the cars you have had work on and how do you check the fluid level?

The maintenance forum always have been a nice and easy place to come in and ask question about cars. If another member doesn't agree with you, you don't have to get all rear end hurt and tell him to move along. I've been working on Toyota and Lexus for over 20 years and I always learning. I know you're working behind your computer making big bucks and don't want to get your hair dirty from the dipping snow from under the cars. I appreciated your contribution in this forum but please respect another member opinion(especially the one that help out a lot of members in the past before you become very active).
OKay, but 1 qt from the overfill mark? OR 1 qt from the min mark. You can play this all day. I have run my 98 less 1.5 qt for over 18K miles (since I missed putting in the extra capacity on the re-fill). Too many wally pops.......Still going on 200K miles..

I respect other members but I was here long before this ID and I really do not care if you are working on car 20 years or 1. Time means zero in some cases..Just saying if you post XXX will happen, have something to show that it will. It is like, high Phos will kill the engines car. Or you need T4 fluid in the tranny. Just saying.

I also, respect forum admins; but, on the flip side they can say what they want but if a lower member does he gets nailed..It has been like this for years too, on here. Just saying look at both sides.

I worked with people in the 90's (toyo) for about 8-years and learning a lot (from design, quality, Toyo CEO's, kaizen etc) from them. And no on the big bucks but it is not shop rates either.

No worries lad, I have certain people on the same "list"...You will not find me posting with these people. Its all good!

Last edited by snowmaker; 03-13-11 at 11:35 AM.