Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

99 gs300 transmission drain and fill, now acting up

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-11, 02:28 PM
toyotero
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 gs300 transmission drain and fill, now acting up

I just drained a little over 2 qts out of my transmission, I filled it with the 2 qts of Toyota t-iv. Now the dip stick is reading 3/4 of an inch past the full mark, I drove it for about 10 minutes and the transmission shifts hard and the level is the same. What's wrong here? I put in a little less than what I drained and its reading past the full mark.
Old 02-18-11, 05:46 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotero
I just drained a little over 2 qts out of my transmission, I filled it with the 2 qts of Toyota t-iv. Now the dip stick is reading 3/4 of an inch past the full mark, I drove it for about 10 minutes and the transmission shifts hard and the level is the same. What's wrong here? I put in a little less than what I drained and its reading past the full mark.
how did you check the level?

Run the car, get it to operating temperature, put it in neutral, and check the level... if its high, gotta get some out of there...
Old 02-21-11, 08:29 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

are we really supposed to put them in neutral? i always check mine in park (94 sc400 and 90ls) is that wrong?
Old 02-22-11, 02:47 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by willhickey
are we really supposed to put them in neutral? i always check mine in park (94 sc400 and 90ls) is that wrong?
I'm not sure it matters, I just know that I stopped looking when every single car I ever read the instructions for said neutral...

AFAIK, there is no difference between park and neutral as far as fluid is concerned inside the transmission... the important thing is that the car is running and is warmed up...
Old 02-22-11, 05:27 PM
toyotero
Rookie

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
how did you check the level?

Run the car, get it to operating temperature, put it in neutral, and check the level... if its high, gotta get some out of there...
Thanks i got it figured out.
Old 02-22-11, 05:55 PM
SYNSEI
Driver

^^

What was wrong? Forums only reach their full potential if the users post their resolutions...
Old 02-27-11, 11:02 AM
toyotero
Rookie

Originally Posted by SYNSEI
^^

What was wrong? Forums only reach their full potential if the users post their resolutions...

The previous owner over filled it, It is important to warm up the car to get a precise oil level reading. I put the gearbox in N but I also put it in P and got the same reading. Thanks for all the help
Old 02-27-11, 11:24 AM
snowmaker
Driver

I allways put cars/trucks in park to check. Natural, not worth the time etc. Make sure temp is correct and over-filling a little is fine, in my book. What would happen? End of the world? It is a sealed unit here folks.

Heck, I have never seen a Leux dealer NOT overfill fluids.
Old 02-27-11, 06:37 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by snowmaker
I allways put cars/trucks in park to check. Natural, not worth the time etc. Make sure temp is correct and over-filling a little is fine, in my book. What would happen? End of the world? It is a sealed unit here folks.

Heck, I have never seen a Leux dealer NOT overfill fluids.
What would happen? Too much pressure in the transmission - first symptoms, as mentioned above - hard shifting caused by too much pressure in the system... next symptom is the seals start leaking... a small amount overfilled, not an issue, but, overfilling things is not necessarily a good thing...

overfilled trans = leaks and high pressure, overfilled engine oil = excessive windage resulting in lost horsepower and high crankcase pressure, overfilled power steering = leaks all over the place, overfilled coolant = leaks all over the place, so on and so forth...
Old 03-10-11, 10:03 AM
snowmaker
Driver

What would happen? Too much pressure in the transmission - first symptoms, as mentioned above - hard shifting caused by too much pressure in the system... next symptom is the seals start leaking... a small amount overfilled, not an issue, but, overfilling things is not necessarily a good thing...

overfilled trans = leaks and high pressure, overfilled engine oil = excessive windage resulting in lost horsepower and high crankcase pressure, overfilled power steering = leaks all over the place, overfilled coolant = leaks all over the place, so on and so forth...

I have not put a car in park in over 25 years to check fluid and no tranny issues to date.
Old 03-10-11, 12:49 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I have not put a car in park in over 25 years to check fluid and no tranny issues to date.
park and neutral are essentially the same thing...

I wouldn't expect you to have problems, unless it was overfilled, as I stated...

you like to argue with me for some reason???
Old 03-11-11, 05:12 PM
snowmaker
Driver

park and neutral are essentially the same thing...

I wouldn't expect you to have problems, unless it was overfilled, as I stated...

you like to argue with me for some reason???
I stated neutral was not important and they you come back with on 02-27-11 06:37 PM all kinds of pressure deals and leaks on overfilling. Little over the top I feel.

Overfilling a little (+/- 10%) as I stated will not hurt it. Now if some moron puts 10 qts in a 5 qt system, ya issues.

I do not like to argue at all. Some posts you state, like firetstone is great is not valid. Example, down south certain businesses have great service. Up in north, the much faster paced area, the same business that are great down south suck up here. Just cannot make global statments about certain shops.

It's all good!
Old 03-11-11, 06:28 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I stated neutral was not important and they you come back with on 02-27-11 06:37 PM all kinds of pressure deals and leaks on overfilling. Little over the top I feel.

Overfilling a little (+/- 10%) as I stated will not hurt it. Now if some moron puts 10 qts in a 5 qt system, ya issues.

I do not like to argue at all. Some posts you state, like firetstone is great is not valid. Example, down south certain businesses have great service. Up in north, the much faster paced area, the same business that are great down south suck up here. Just cannot make global statments about certain shops.

It's all good!

You do like to argue... You may be the first person I've ever put on my ignore list on here...

You stated: "Make sure temp is correct and over-filling a little is fine, in my book. What would happen? End of the world? It is a sealed unit here folks."

and I replied: "What would happen? Too much pressure in the transmission - first symptoms, as mentioned above - hard shifting caused by too much pressure in the system... next symptom is the seals start leaking... a small amount overfilled, not an issue, but, overfilling things is not necessarily a good thing...

overfilled trans = leaks and high pressure, overfilled engine oil = excessive windage resulting in lost horsepower and high crankcase pressure, overfilled power steering = leaks all over the place, overfilled coolant = leaks all over the place, so on and so forth..."

It would seem that my response was justified after what you wrote... I never once argued that it was substantially better to be in neutral or park, because I know it doesn't matter, I do know that most owners manuals for most vehicles recommend neutral.

When I say certain places are great, they are opinions, obviously... When I state that too much fluid in the auto trans can be a very bad thing, then that is a definite fact that you are arguing against.

You claim a 10% overfill. Now, I don't feel like looking up the exact quantity, but, most auto trans' are around 12 quarts total fill (not drain and fill, total). Your 10% overfill would mean 1.2 quarts excess, and the OP of this thread already stated he had issues with an overfilled transmission.
Old 03-12-11, 03:43 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^ I agree. 10% overfill =

Seals don't like seeing high pressure all the time. Like mitsuguy said, too much pressure = seal problems. You'll see seals that crack, bust off or leak depending on where they are.

OP - Check and make sure its not leaking anywhere now just in case usually you'll be okay, but sometimes the seals won't hold up for long after being exposed to pressure.
Old 03-12-11, 05:00 PM
snowmaker
Driver

You do like to argue... You may be the first person I've ever put on my ignore list on here...

You claim a 10% overfill. Now, I don't feel like looking up the exact quantity, but, most auto trans' are around 12 quarts total fill (not drain and fill, total). Your 10% overfill would mean 1.2 quarts excess, and the OP of this thread already stated he had issues with an overfilled transmission.
Great and I do not care so have at it!!!!! So now most cars are 12 qts total? Not on my ES but...And PROVE this extra fluid will increase psi but some ammount? Any data? Not arguing but I like data or numbers to show something. Taking a post on this forum is not the bible.

You can at the min and at 10%, not gonna hurt. Add 10% at the max and if that kill the seals, most dealers would be out of business since every car I have had worked on , fluids are way over filled by a lot...

But ha, you do not see this post so move along..LOL

Last edited by snowmaker; 03-12-11 at 05:21 PM.

Quick Reply: 99 gs300 transmission drain and fill, now acting up