Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

97-01 ES300 Timing belt change write up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-11, 01:42 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
Wow yall sure do know your stuff... quick question how much would changing just the timing belt cost? (At a lexus dealership)
Depends on location etc..Mine in USA, Northeast (high) is about $325...For me, cheaper and easier to go to work them mess with it...
Old 03-01-11, 01:44 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Originally Posted by BDSL
Some of the mechanics said they can do it in 8 hrs or so but I am not sure if they are careful, using anti-seize, loctite, power tool, following torque spec, etc.
mechanics are there to beat the book time (aka make $$$$). I do not trust them unles I have a warranty from LExus. Outside of that, keep the hacks out of my car.
Old 03-01-11, 05:48 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by snowmaker
mechanics are there to beat the book time (aka make $$$$). I do not trust them unles I have a warranty from LExus. Outside of that, keep the hacks out of my car.
You crack me up my friend... Lexus mechanics are also there to beat the book time... There are many independents that offer better warranties than Lexus does as well... Nothing against using the dealership, but you seem very anti-anything other than Lexus dealer and what you've read on the internet, with very little real world experience in it...

Go work at a repair shop for a few years, then get back to all of us on how you think things are run...
Old 03-01-11, 09:27 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on location etc..Mine in USA, Northeast (high) is about $325...For me, cheaper and easier to go to work them mess with it...
Thanks thats what I was quoted too... I have a friend who is just going to charge me $80. The price of the part or parts... so I guess I should wait for the weather to warm up and let him do it... By the way he works at the shop at the dealership, so hes not just some random dude.
Old 03-02-11, 12:46 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
You crack me up my friend... Lexus mechanics are also there to beat the book time... There are many independents that offer better warranties than Lexus does as well... Nothing against using the dealership, but you seem very anti-anything other than Lexus dealer and what you've read on the internet, with very little real world experience in it...

Go work at a repair shop for a few years, then get back to all of us on how you think things are run...
Yes, I know and I personally know a few Lexus mechanics and (1) non.. (went to high school with)..If you do not beat the clock you get nailed too (outside of Lexus too).....And no, I will not work in ANY shop since I do not like the por hours, poor pay, crappy enviroment, poor benefits, non-free advanced edu etc... Why do you think they can't afford the cars they work on? LOL

If they are great jobs you would see everyone with a BA or PHD flocking there. Most INd shops do not offer new Lexus cars, free food, better customer care, longer warranty period etc...

Yes, I pay $700 for a Timing belt, water pump, cam seals and crank seals but again, not worth my time and effort here. I will sit behind a computer not under a snow covered car with salt all over my face...

I would support my local guy if they took the same care as the "L" dealers.

Last edited by snowmaker; 03-02-11 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-02-11, 04:26 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

O.k guys let get back on the topic about timing belt and water pump.

I'm not gonna talk about what kind of car I drive or dealership I work,pay check, benefits and what not because I'm not that kind of person to show off or talk down on another people.
Old 03-05-11, 01:39 AM
Aceshigh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Spooled
Here are some PDF files on both timing belt and water pump removal and installation. There's also a component PDF that shows all the torque specs and locations of parts related.

Good luck I've got these down to under an hour.
Thank you very much. This helps alot.

I was quoted $485 to replace the timing belt on my 98 Lexus by a Firestone.
Now I would never do it there, but that's less then what Lexus would charge.

I'm in the NW Suburbs of Chicago.
Old 03-05-11, 02:47 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Aceshigh

Why not?

I was the service manager for two different Firestone locations in San Antonio for a while... It's actually a great operation... The techs are well trained and paid well to do their jobs...

So, the main concern is if something goes wrong, right? Any tech can make a mistake, whether it be a Lexus tech or not...

One thing I can definitely tell you about Firestone is that they are there to take care of people... If something were to go wrong, they would stand behind it 100%...
Old 03-05-11, 08:09 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aceshigh

500 thats expensive... im getting mine done for 80 so Im going to have to buy my buddy a six pack as well. Im pretty much getting it for free.
Old 03-06-11, 11:44 AM
snowmaker
Driver

500 thats expensive... im getting mine done for 80 so Im going to have to buy my buddy a six pack as well. Im pretty much getting it for free.
Because your friend does not know what his time is worth. I pay my friends about 60 to $80 per hour...Why? Time is limited. Even when it is BS time fixing something, I pay them.
Old 03-06-11, 11:48 AM
snowmaker
Driver

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Why not?

I was the service manager for two different Firestone locations in San Antonio for a while... It's actually a great operation... The techs are well trained and paid well to do their jobs...

So, the main concern is if something goes wrong, right? Any tech can make a mistake, whether it be a Lexus tech or not...

One thing I can definitely tell you about Firestone is that they are there to take care of people... If something were to go wrong, they would stand behind it 100%...
first mistake is your are comparing Texass to a Northeast vendor..Not even close and I lived in Houston (katy) for years.

Price is relative since in Katy prices were 25% (avg) cheaper then northeast. But it is all relative..I could not stand the 8.25% sales tax and high property tax (over 10,000 a year).

I would tell this guy to look at toyota dealer to do it.
Old 03-06-11, 08:07 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Because your friend does not know what his time is worth. I pay my friends about 60 to $80 per hour...Why? Time is limited. Even when it is BS time fixing something, I pay them.
No I think he realizes what his time is worth as he works for a living and knows how much to charge a cutomer. Guess that shows how much a good friendship is worth cuz in all honesty I would do the same for him.
Old 03-10-11, 10:06 AM
snowmaker
Driver

No I think he realizes what his time is worth as he works for a living and knows how much to charge a cutomer. Guess that shows how much a good friendship is worth cuz in all honesty I would do the same for him.
Must be a very cheap worker. Funny, I detail cars on the side (by app only) and car is MIN $250+. I am backed-up for 1.5 months. Also own a tractor with backhow, brush, sprayer etc and that is a MIN of $100 per hour. Also install lawn sprinklers on the side with it. Again, time is a limited factor in life and I do not take China hour prices.Your freind does not get it.

My friend help me lay about 3/4-MILE of irrigation pipe on a sprinker job. He had a $500 bank check in the mail 2-days later; to say thank you since he SAVED me 2X that for a job.

Last edited by snowmaker; 03-13-11 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-10-11, 11:24 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I hope your friend knows what he is doing because it will take hime a while for that $80.

When I did mine the 1st time (timing belt, water pump, cam seals, crank seal, thermostat, coolant flush, spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, etc etc), it took me +20 hours with basic hand tools.

Now, I took my time using proper anti-seize, loctite, torque spec, etc.
Old 04-17-11, 11:29 AM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BDSL
I hope your friend knows what he is doing because it will take hime a while for that $80.

When I did mine the 1st time (timing belt, water pump, cam seals, crank seal, thermostat, coolant flush, spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, etc etc), it took me +20 hours with basic hand tools.

Now, I took my time using proper anti-seize, loctite, torque spec, etc.
Heard you the first time refer to page 1.

Was this ever resolved? What happened?