Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Where to get this rear brake drum/shoe hardware?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-11, 11:03 PM
decypher
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where to get this rear brake drum/shoe hardware?

Anyone know where to find this oddly shaped "REAR SHOE PIN" pictured on the right for a 1999 ES300?
Attached Thumbnails Where to get this rear brake drum/shoe hardware?-2.gif  
Old 03-10-11, 02:52 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

dealer... no one is going to have it aftermarket...
Old 03-10-11, 08:40 AM
decypher
Driver

I kinda thought so.. Thanks bud I appreciate the reply
Old 03-10-11, 10:11 AM
snowmaker
Driver

your 99 has shoes in the back??????

One reason why I do not even bother with aftermarket, non-lexs dealers etc.
Old 03-10-11, 12:53 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by snowmaker
your 99 has shoes in the back??????

One reason why I do not even bother with aftermarket, non-lexs dealers etc.
Did you know that you can buy many OEM Lexus parts aftermarket, just without the Lexus L on the bag they come in for 1/4 to 1/2 the price some times?

As far as I can remember, every Lexus has shoes in the back... They are the parking brake shoes, which resides inside the rotor hat... If you knew much about brakes, you would see that in that diagram, there are very few parts, in comparison to true drum brakes, which have star adjusters, a few different springs, and a hydraulic cylinder to actuate them... edit: granted that is not a full diagram, but it is still pretty bare bones...
Old 03-11-11, 05:28 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Did you know that you can buy many OEM Lexus parts aftermarket, just without the Lexus L on the bag they come in for 1/4 to 1/2 the price some times?

As far as I can remember, every Lexus has shoes in the back... They are the parking brake shoes, which resides inside the rotor hat... If you knew much about brakes, you would see that in that diagram, there are very few parts, in comparison to true drum brakes, which have star adjusters, a few different springs, and a hydraulic cylinder to actuate them... edit: granted that is not a full diagram, but it is still pretty bare bones...
Funny, since you where in the businees, no Lexus part has an "L" on the bag: they have toyo and the PN.

Yes I know that. I buy OEM parts from a Lexus dealer cheaper then I can buy junk from Autozone and advanced auto parts. Example, rear pads for my 98 are $42 SHIPPED from a Lexus dealer..Aftermarker pads local are $34 at my local autozone. And why do I want this china junk (that will nto fit the same)? Or NAPA, Quest crap????

I DO NOT buy parts local since a PCV for my other car, 06 is $4.40 SHIPPED to my door from a lexus dealer. The dealers around here are over $25+!!!!ATF filter to my door, same Lexus dealer is $34 shipped, local is over $75.

Yes, I know what the pix had and most aftermarker dealers will not have a clue on the part. Who the heck even worries about the E-brake shoes in the back? Never and issue on my ES's.

Lastly, I stay out of IND shop all I can and do not like dealers unless I need to go. Both have pros / cons.
Old 03-11-11, 06:15 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by snowmaker
Funny, since you where in the businees, no Lexus part has an "L" on the bag: they have toyo and the PN.

Yes I know that. I buy OEM parts from a Lexus dealer cheaper then I can buy junk from Autozone and advanced auto parts. Example, rear pads for my 98 are $42 SHIPPED from a Lexus dealer..Aftermarker pads local are $34 at my local autozone. And why do I want this china junk (that will nto fit the same)? Or NAPA, Quest crap????

I DO NOT buy parts local since a PCV for my other car, 06 is $4.40 SHIPPED to my door from a lexus dealer. The dealers around here are over $25+!!!!ATF filter to my door, same Lexus dealer is $34 shipped, local is over $75.

Yes, I know what the pix had and most aftermarker dealers will not have a clue on the part. Who the heck even worries about the E-brake shoes in the back? Never and issue on my ES's.

Lastly, I stay out of IND shop all I can and do not like dealers unless I need to go. Both have pros / cons.
OMG, you are ridiculous... I was not making comment that there is actually a L on the bag, but that it came from the Lexus dealer... Yes, I know there are certain parts that are cheaper from the dealer, definitely... When I was in the business, I would actually buy parts directly from the dealer for my customers cars - just because I worked for an independent didn't mean we didn't use OEM parts when it was justified either by price or reliability reasons...

I actually wasn't talking about Napa, AZ or any of the others, I was talking about resources that I used to use all the time to purchase parts locally that would come in denso bags identical to the Lexus/Toyota bag, but with a different sticker on it...

Who worries about e-brake shoes? Probably those that have them fall apart, wear out, or degrade, as the normally do... Some will never have a problem... When I was a Texas State Safety Inspector, I failed vehicles all the time because their parking brakes wouldn't hold... This was quite common, and many times, this is the necessary repair...

Last edited by mitsuguy; 03-11-11 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-12-11, 08:53 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by decypher
Anyone know where to find this oddly shaped "REAR SHOE PIN" pictured on the right for a 1999 ES300?
Yes, have to order it from the dealer. Just go to parts dept. and show them which pin you need. I can tell you right now, it will be a lot of funs to put that pin back...lol. You may need extra helping hand and a needle nose piers.
Old 03-12-11, 04:54 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
OMG, you are ridiculous... I was not making comment that there is actually a L on the bag, but that it came from the Lexus dealer... Yes, I know there are certain parts that are cheaper from the dealer, definitely... When I was in the business, I would actually buy parts directly from the dealer for my customers cars - just because I worked for an independent didn't mean we didn't use OEM parts when it was justified either by price or reliability reasons...

I actually wasn't talking about Napa, AZ or any of the others, I was talking about resources that I used to use all the time to purchase parts locally that would come in denso bags identical to the Lexus/Toyota bag, but with a different sticker on it...

Who worries about e-brake shoes? Probably those that have them fall apart, wear out, or degrade, as the normally do... Some will never have a problem... When I was a Texas State Safety Inspector, I failed vehicles all the time because their parking brakes wouldn't hold... This was quite common, and many times, this is the necessary repair...
I understand on that IND shop can get "L" parts. I am saying even if they did, add in there markup, have to deal with them, I bet it is cheaper online with shipping. I did not post "Did you know that you can buy many OEM Lexus parts aftermarket, just without the Lexus L on the bag they come in for 1/4 to 1/2 the price some times?"

I also agree that some never fail and I never saw a Texass, for a sticker, check the E-brake. But on the flip side just because it holds does that prove it is working 100%? I think not.

My point in this post is the "l" dealer, at least in my area, are better in some areas then IND shops. I tried the IND shop and never again. Now what I was in Katy, IND shops were great, but that is a diff world down there.

Now this forum and some others know WAY more then any IND dealer or L dealer!

Last edited by snowmaker; 03-12-11 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-14-11, 07:51 AM
decypher
Driver

FYI Here's the full diagram
Attached Thumbnails Where to get this rear brake drum/shoe hardware?-parkingbrakefull.jpg