Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Recommend good OBD-II scan tool?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-11, 12:27 PM
Wanderson
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend good OBD-II scan tool?

Been thinking about picking up an inexpensive OBD-II scan tool to add to my toolbox if the need ever comes up. So far the best I've seen for the least money is an Autel Maxiscan MS300, on Amazon I can get one for $19 plus shipping. Normally I'd say too cheap to be worth anything at that price but it get 4.5 stars out of 300 reviews, the included CD w/codes sounds like junk but I've got a list of all the codes for my '99 LS400. Anyone have anything else to recommend?
Old 03-23-11, 12:44 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

if all you want to do is read and clear codes, it will do just fine for you...
Old 03-23-11, 12:53 PM
snowmaker
Driver

I have a $700 snap-on one that was great until I had to pay $180 for the updates...Morons.....

So I bought a Equus 3160 for $160 with free updates and does more then snapper. How do you define "inexpensive". Dealers (OEM and indep) want over $80 just to hook-up.

I love the 3160 since they are free updates, software up the behind and has CAN too. Snapper is 100% $$$$$$ driven. I will never buy electronics from them again.

Problem with the cheap item, ones you posted on, are a single use tool. Spend a few more and it will SAVE you more in the end. Like seeing the O2 sensors readings, MAF, firing order, can save live data, fuel pressure etc. Well worth the money..It is pay a litte now or pay more later in my eyes.

Last edited by snowmaker; 03-23-11 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-23-11, 10:24 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Check out www.innova.com
Old 03-24-11, 04:47 AM
Wanderson
Rookie

Default Changing options

Thanks, the 3040 looks like it might do the job nicely. Has anyone used a scan tool to change/reprogram the features on your LS400? If so, what features/abilities would a scan tool have to have in order to do this? Just wondering if that's a dealer-only thing or if anyone can do it. I'd spend a few more $$$ for the ability to do this.
Old 03-25-11, 05:55 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Originally Posted by Wanderson
Thanks, the 3040 looks like it might do the job nicely. Has anyone used a scan tool to change/reprogram the features on your LS400? If so, what features/abilities would a scan tool have to have in order to do this? Just wondering if that's a dealer-only thing or if anyone can do it. I'd spend a few more $$$ for the ability to do this.
Dude, the 3040 is $90 on Amazon...That is a great deal on what you get...
Old 03-26-11, 11:08 PM
svlexus
Driver

as a car owner and not a mechanic it makes no sense. The car will alert you if anything related to a scanner is wrong. and then you go to autozone and borrow their scanner to read codes/erase them. No need for any regular car owner to buy a scanner.
Old 03-27-11, 12:15 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Originally Posted by svlexus
as a car owner and not a mechanic it makes no sense. The car will alert you if anything related to a scanner is wrong. and then you go to autozone and borrow their scanner to read codes/erase them. No need for any regular car owner to buy a scanner.
Yes it does make sense. Let see, I own a scanner and can delete codes, view live data (for 02 sensors, MAF etc) on MY time..Check before inspection, see fuel pressure etc.

Autozone, you need to spend more of your time, money, wear and tear on the auto in question (if it works) and drive there. How much is this worth?

If you feel that way that is fine. For me, it is crazy to NOT have one. Then again I would not put autozone parts on a Lexus, that is me.
Old 03-27-11, 06:09 PM
Mr.1.5
Lead Lap

Get a Scan Gauge II. I use it on the shop 370z, works great and even tells you mpg.
Old 03-27-11, 11:09 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by snowmaker
Yes it does make sense. Let see, I own a scanner and can delete codes, view live data (for 02 sensors, MAF etc) on MY time..Check before inspection, see fuel pressure etc.

Autozone, you need to spend more of your time, money, wear and tear on the auto in question (if it works) and drive there. How much is this worth?

If you feel that way that is fine. For me, it is crazy to NOT have one. Then again I would not put autozone parts on a Lexus, that is me.
Your scanner shows Fuel Pressure? I haven't seen a scanner that can show fuel pressure. Or do you mean the pulse width of the injectors?
Old 04-07-11, 06:47 PM
safford197
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump to Wanderson's question: Anyone know of a scan tool that will allow you to change settings in the computer, i.e. change TPMS sensors or change convenience features?
Old 04-12-11, 04:30 AM
Wanderson
Rookie

Default Lexus tool

Originally Posted by safford197
Bump to Wanderson's question: Anyone know of a scan tool that will allow you to change settings in the computer, i.e. change TPMS sensors or change convenience features?
I've asked the same question in another thread, so far the general consensus is that only a Lexus dealer's scan tool can change the convenience features, that tool is about a grand.
Old 04-13-11, 05:03 PM
safford197
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wanderson
I've asked the same question in another thread, so far the general consensus is that only a Lexus dealer's scan tool can change the convenience features, that tool is about a grand.
Thanks for the response Wanderson - can you give me a link, I would flip for a grand if it gave me control over some of the features. I have one for a '09 VW, paid $>400 for that and it's assume, can change so many things you don't even know are options - even turn off the TPMS.
Old 11-05-12, 08:30 AM
Hawkenheim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Check out www.innova.com
Thanks for the tip.

Went through their site, watched a couple of their videos, and I was sold. I particularly like how you can upload the diagnostic date to their site which provides you detailed reports and probable fixes. This is gold right here.

So I decided to pick-up the 3100f for $199, which seems to have the best balance of features. I'm always suspicious of something that is too cheap, and let's face it -- cheap never equals good.

Over the long run, this will definitely have a huge return on investment, since I will now what the issues are, and can dictate what exactly the dealer or other shops need to do. Plus, I've always wanted one.
Old 11-01-13, 10:50 AM
Troywhthfu
Driver School Candidate

Whats with all these codes??? I was told I need a handheld diagnosis computer to get my timing right? I read the manual after I cranked the shaft and both timing belt pulleys both ways numerous times. What do I do now? I have money but no time.

Quick Reply: Recommend good OBD-II scan tool?