Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Opinions On Switching ALL Fluids To AMSOIL Synthetics

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-11, 02:53 PM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Opinions On Switching ALL Fluids To AMSOIL Synthetics

I just picked up a '98 GS400 with 195K on it and am going to be going through all the maintenance and swapping all the fluids.....What's everyone's opinion on switching to all AMSOIL fluids (i.e oil, trans fluid, rear end)? Any risks or negatives you guys see from doing this? Thanks!
Old 03-29-11, 07:14 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

no negatives other than the money spent...
Old 03-29-11, 10:01 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

once you go synthetic you cant go back.

IMHO the GS runs fine ex. on reg oil and no need to switch to synthetics.
Old 03-30-11, 03:14 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HellaG35

not true, in fact, you can switch back and forth as often as you would like...

sure, it runs fine on regular oil, but what does it hurt to give yourself some peace of mind and the potential for it to last that much longer (again, except the pocketbook)
Old 03-31-11, 06:51 AM
Wanderson
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetics

For tranny & diff I always use synthetics since they're not going to be changed out in less than 30k miles and aren't exposed to contaminates like engine oil. But on an engine with 200k miles, I'd use a good dino oil and change more frequently, since the motor is probably 'looser' and creating more blowback, contaminating your oil much faster.
Old 04-01-11, 12:04 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

With that kind of mileage, i would go regular.
Old 04-01-11, 03:10 PM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So standard oil is better on a high mileage car? I guess I can see the reasoning, but I've also been told synthetic provides better lubrication due to less breakdown.
Old 04-01-11, 09:12 PM
Wanderson
Rookie

Default Less breakdown

That's true, at 5k miles a synthetic will not break down as much as regular 'dino' oil. But we don't change oil just because it's losing it's viscosity, it's to get all that 'crud' out of your crankcase. And after 100k miles that becomes a bigger issue. If you can afford synth oil it's a little more protection, it's just my opinion that the same money can be put to better use running dino oil and changing more frequently on a motor with a lot of wear that is contaminating and/or using much more oil than a new motor. The only thing I don't agree with is when some high $$$ oils suggest stretching your oil change interval to offset the cost of their product.
Old 04-02-11, 03:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I rather run regular dino oil than synthetic for a daily driver (excluding extreme climates). Sure your oil change interval is shortened, but that may be a good thing because you'll change your filter more frequently.

With that being said, I run synthetic in my car only because I keep on getting boxes of them for Christmas.
Old 04-02-11, 05:27 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Originally Posted by HellaG35

Ya and the world is flat too! Dino is great if you like high wears, crappy pour points etc.....YMMV.
Old 04-03-11, 09:20 AM
Vader300
Rookie

I had a 99 4runner that I ran amsoil in the transfer/engine/diff. I felt a smoother drivetrain, I also noticed slightly better mpg's. Even after the 5k oil change it always came out looking clean. With those few improvemnets it was worth it to me to keep amsoil in it.
Old 04-03-11, 02:10 PM
snowmaker
Driver

I agree on the Amsoil. I LOVE the ATF...Run the car for hours and then pull the ATF stick...just warm!!!
Old 04-03-11, 07:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by snowmaker
Ya and the world is flat too! Dino is great if you like high wears, crappy pour points etc.....YMMV.

There are probably more cars out there using regular dino oil than synthetic. Most failure occurs because of negligence, but not by using dino oil. Synthetic oil may offer less wear, but it's an exaggeration to say dino oil have high wear. Relatively speaking, yes..but not absolutely. Most cars are fine with just dino unless you drive a car that are extraordinary.
Old 04-07-11, 12:42 AM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

No one on the forum, to my knowledge, has ever posted a photo of an internal part of a Toyota engine or transmission that suffered a high amount of wear or failure due to the owner's use of dino (conventional) oils instead of synthetics. There have been some engine sludge and heavy varnish photos, but those were attributable to the owner's extending oil changes. Their have been reports of spun main or connecting rod bearings, but those were attributable to engine overreving or running the engine low on oil.

Thus all the concern about "extra wear" if one uses dino oil is imaginary rather than real.
Old 04-08-11, 05:15 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
There are probably more cars out there using regular dino oil than synthetic. Most failure occurs because of negligence, but not by using dino oil. Synthetic oil may offer less wear, but it's an exaggeration to say dino oil have high wear. Relatively speaking, yes..but not absolutely. Most cars are fine with just dino unless you drive a car that are extraordinary.
All I am saying is if you did a UOA, which it seems you do not, you will see a differance. I did not spend thousands on auto to buy walfart oil..

Quick Reply: Opinions On Switching ALL Fluids To AMSOIL Synthetics