Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Dealers taking items from car

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-02, 09:06 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my RX at a Lexus dealer for an oil change and found out about a mile down the road that someone had stolen on of my CD's.

I was looking for a particular song that I knew was on a CD I had in the changer, I couldn't find it. So, I took out the changer cartridge to look at where the CD was and there was another one of my CD's in there upside down!! The guy went through the trouble of going through the rest of my CD's to find one to replace the stolen one with!

Luckily it was a burned CD - I have all my CD's backed up on my computer. I told the dealer about it. Now I'm sure to take my CD's out of the RX when it's in for "service".
Old 09-02-02, 09:18 PM
Sooner
Pole Position

that sucks and i am sorry but they dont go trading out headlights to another car
Old 09-11-02, 07:07 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

I don't trust valets, generally speaking. I know what they do when you're out of sight. My SC300, however, has a special valet key that will not open the trunk or the glovebox.

I've had problems with dealer ineptness, but not theft. Granted, I don't take my Lexus to dealers for regular maintenance (the car's 10 years old). I have a local shop I like and trust. I left my totalled Acura there for a week with all kinds of loose change and stuff in it and none of it disappeared.

Ral
Old 09-14-02, 08:47 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had similar experiences unfortunately, dirtied seats, oil drips in engine compartment, scored wheels from the air-driven sockets apparently but nothing missing fortunately.

I now detail the car before I take it in. Remove EVERYTHING! Clean it and hope that they pay attention to the condition of the car because based on all the posts of problems caused by the mechanics, I am amazed and dissapointed, and frustrated . .... as apparently others are. I point out to them there are NO scratches on the wood after 3.5 years.

I plan to take a digi-cam and carefully record everything in the car outside and in from now on when I take the car in. I will make the recording in the lot as I drop the car off and have the proof when they question what the problem is.

IMO for what they charge for very BASIC service one should get a moderately high-level car back detailed and super clean for their service fees.

just a thought and my opinions of problems I have detected.
Old 09-14-02, 10:07 PM
Shopsey'IS300
Driver School Candidate

That happened to my brother at the Acura dealership in Long Island City, Paragon Acura..The coins got jammed behind the coin tray.. Not only did they NOT fix the problem, but they stole all the quarters, and left the dimes and nickels. He ******eded about it, not for the money, but for the principle. After a few times of bringing the car in about all the problems he's been having that they they haven't been fixing, he got hooked up with the service manager, who took good care of me(he also heard him complaining about the coins in his office at the time when it happened). In the end, he fixed everything AND MORE, but like an angel out of the sky, the next day he called to thank him, and "He no longer worked there"

Last edited by Shopsey'IS300; 09-14-02 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-15-02, 12:55 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well,then I guess if you were a tech up there,then you'd know just about everything then,so I'm now very much relieved to know that I'm just imagining things missing that have a paper trail documenting their recent replacement.
Old 09-17-02, 03:15 AM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S10, you say you need to take your car back to get a radio installed, plant some more bills in your car and look for them when you collect the car, if they are gone again go get seriously in the svc mgr's face immediately, he needs to know he has a thief working for him so he can fire his ***.

Last edited by strongsail; 09-17-02 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-18-02, 09:46 PM
muldrick
Rookie

Originally posted by black sc
Pretty much anyplace indepedent that services Toyotas will do Lexus also. Which indepedent shops are the best? I cannot tell ya.

As for the alleged theft of personal property at dealerships. Be glad it was only pocket change and some air stem covers. Don't go back there.

I didn't know that aftermarkets didn't have thieves!?