Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Dealers taking items from car

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-02, 12:51 PM
LexGS3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dealers taking items from car

I brought in my 99 gs3 to have some warranty items fixed, the radio wasnt working properly, noise from glovebox, etc. They did fix everything and had to order the radio so it wont be in until next week they said. I picked up my car yesterday at 5pm. Well i didnt realize until today that $2 was missing from the armrest console. My uncle had gave me 2 dollar bills for good luck last week and i just had them in there and they are gone. Are these f'n lexus techs that pathetic that they have to take $2!!?? What the hell are you going to do with $2?? I also noticed this morning that all my chrome valve stem caps are missing. Now i picked up that car from being serviced yesterday and did not notice they were missing until this morning so there is a SLIGHT possibility that someone stole them from infront of my house last night, but not very likely, i live in a nice neighborhood. The car was at the dealer for 2 days. I dont even care about $2 or the vavle stem caps(another whole $2) Its just the fact that this was a lexus dealer and this kind of thing shouldnt happen. Previously I have had all brand new Fords, and when it is being serviced i NEVER had to worry about what was in the car, so i expected a Lexus dealer to be the same if not better. I want to call up the dealer and curse them out, but they have my radio on order and I have to bring it back there next week and dont want anyone taking their anger out on my car. Once i pick it up I will be calling the Lexus Cust service and giving them a complaint. And next time I think i will drive a little out of my way to goto a different dealer. Sorry for the long post heh. Anyone here have anything similar happen to them?

John
Old 08-28-02, 01:01 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

In short, yes, they can be pathetic.

One of the most common misconceptions out there is the fact that just because you take your luxury vehicle in for service at a luxury car dealer, that they would have better class or quality work as compared to Toyota, Honda, or Ford dealers. I have heard stories from the inside that Lexus dealers are as shady as any of the other dealers out there and that the "customer service" front is just a facade.

My rule of thumb, trust no one and leave nothing in the car when you get it serviced at a dealer. In fact, I NEVER take my car to any dealer to get it serviced UNLESS it's warranty work...

Now, in defense of the service guys, it's possible that the service tech was just a bonehead and forgot to put back the caps after he checked tire pressure and not necessarily stole them...in either case, it sucks and I guess just chalk it up to lessons learned! You should make a complaint to your service manager but have low expectations as to what you will get in return.

Sorry to hear your misfortune.

Brent
Old 08-28-02, 01:10 PM
panther_v
Rookie

Default Re: Dealers taking items from car

Originally posted by S10Loridr
I brought in my 99 gs3 to have some warranty items fixed, the radio wasnt working properly, noise from glovebox, etc. They did fix everything and had to order the radio so it wont be in until next week they said. I picked up my car yesterday at 5pm. Well i didnt realize until today that $2 was missing from the armrest console. My uncle had gave me 2 dollar bills for good luck last week and i just had them in there and they are gone. Are these f'n lexus techs that pathetic that they have to take $2!!?? What the hell are you going to do with $2?? I also noticed this morning that all my chrome valve stem caps are missing. Now i picked up that car from being serviced yesterday and did not notice they were missing until this morning so there is a SLIGHT possibility that someone stole them from infront of my house last night, but not very likely, i live in a nice neighborhood. The car was at the dealer for 2 days. I dont even care about $2 or the vavle stem caps(another whole $2) Its just the fact that this was a lexus dealer and this kind of thing shouldnt happen. Previously I have had all brand new Fords, and when it is being serviced i NEVER had to worry about what was in the car, so i expected a Lexus dealer to be the same if not better. I want to call up the dealer and curse them out, but they have my radio on order and I have to bring it back there next week and dont want anyone taking their anger out on my car. Once i pick it up I will be calling the Lexus Cust service and giving them a complaint. And next time I think i will drive a little out of my way to goto a different dealer. Sorry for the long post heh. Anyone here have anything similar happen to them?

John
hi john, sorry to hear....

yah, can never trust anyone whos handling your car. not too long ago a local tv news crew had a special on restaurant valets. theft rate is much higher than what you think. they set up hidden camera and caught those guys stealing!!

i guess best way is not to leave anything valuable in the car when you valet park or bringing in dealer for service.

good luck...
Old 08-28-02, 01:19 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Angry

S10, sorry to hear of your misfortune, but this could have happened at any MB or BMW lot, also. DO make this known to the service manager immediately. Odds are, he already knows and may even have suspicions as to which gofer is responsible.

This issue has come up before on CL. Every time, the poster subsequently reported that the dealership was very responsive (and in at least one instance, was able to identify the individual involved). Good luck!
Old 08-28-02, 01:41 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Dealers taking items from car

Originally posted by S10Loridr
...What the hell are you going to do with $2?? ...
$2? Hey, all calls up to 20 minutes are just .99.......

Sorry.

I echo Brent's comments. I've had some valve caps turn up missin one time, but I communicated with the SM until I was compensated with identical new ones. Have a word with the Service Manager, and tactfully voice your concerns. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 08-28-02, 03:01 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Moral: Trust no one

The two most common situations where you entrust your car to someone else are service shops and valet parkers. It doesn't matter how classy the joint is - your glovebox and center console are just WAY too tempting a target. They can score big time with just 5 seconds of groping, and unless you got hidden cameras running, they are gonna get away with it.

So you gotta deal with it- no use hoping for a better, more moral world- it ain't gonna happen. Lock it all up, remove it or don't allow them access to your car in the first place, meaning park it/service it yourself (I realize for warranty or major work the latter is not realistic).

You can count on one hand the number of times I've let a valet park my car, and that's only because I had to- the restaurant was in an isolated area and only offered valet-parking. I rarely return.
Old 08-28-02, 09:46 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe the service tech was a coin collector? just maybe...
Old 08-29-02, 03:09 PM
njes300
Pole Position

I just got my car back from lexus service . I always leave everything in the car . I had 40 bucks in the cosole and a new pair of BR slacks and shirt int the back seat . they had the car for 10 days and Nothing was missing . Even after they vacumed the car the put it back in the same spot .
Old 08-29-02, 06:30 PM
blue wax
Lead Lap

2 $ p. car -> 10x a day x 20 days a month x 12 months a year
= 4800 $.... + %.................

just an idea.

lol

Old 08-29-02, 08:30 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by blue wax
2 $ p. car -> 10x a day x 20 days a month x 12 months a year
= 4800 $.... + %.................

just an idea.

lol

Someone wants to buy a lexus too...not happy with only servicing them.
Old 08-30-02, 01:44 AM
lex430
Lead Lap

Originally posted by BLiu

My rule of thumb, trust no one and leave nothing in the car when you get it serviced at a dealer. In fact, I NEVER take my car to any dealer to get it serviced UNLESS it's warranty work...

Brent
Just wondering if you don't take your car to the dealer, where do you take them to? any suggestions for the LA area?

Last edited by lex430; 08-30-02 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08-30-02, 08:24 AM
black sc
Pole Position

Pretty much anyplace indepedent that services Toyotas will do Lexus also. Which indepedent shops are the best? I cannot tell ya.

As for the alleged theft of personal property at dealerships. Be glad it was only pocket change and some air stem covers. Don't go back there.

Last edited by black sc; 08-30-02 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-02-02, 06:58 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hah,you think that's bad,eh?
It is,but...
Try getting your car back after dropping over $4k at the dealer(Lexus of Seattle,Lynnwood WA),to have a different set of headlights swapped on!
Fu@*ers.
They'd been replaced from a recent accident,and the ones that were put on had broken mounting ears,haze on the insides.

Nah,I won't be back,for other significant reasons as well,but I won't go into that.
Old 09-02-02, 07:01 PM
Sooner
Pole Position

no they didnt do that
Old 09-02-02, 08:57 PM
Sooner
Pole Position

cause i was a tech up there he stated this over a year ago his lights were the same when he came in

Quick Reply: Dealers taking items from car